Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014 | 04:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Black. Orange would work with that, aye?
Orange helmets are designed for offshore boat racing.

I use ebay for most purchases like this. First I would try Mark at FD Motorsport. He has accounts with lots of suppliers and I often just go shopping on ebay then send him a screenshot of my shopping cart and he often sources it all cheaper than I can get it (wholesale price plus small margin vs retail margin). He then consolidates the stuff and sends it to me USPS (very cheap and usually takes 7 days)....
Old 07-09-2014 | 04:21 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
Doug - here is my spin on it. If you have 2 cars for yourself(not family) then I would keep one exclusively for track AND targa and the other for DD and touring. Whereas you are saying boxter will do targa tour. The reason for my different view is that although Targa Tour is a bit like touring it is more hard out and inevitably you will want brake and tyre upgrades as well as potentially some suspension. Keeping 2 cars for this means accelerated wear and maintenance on both like gearbox etc which will get heavy on the budget sooner or later and this is money that can be spent wisely n other things. The beater is a great idea and fun but you all can circulate the track in your existing cars so going 20%-30% slower isn't going to teach you much. That then means racing the beater in 2k. So got to step up to this. I still think that racing karts for a year will teach you more about racing faster. Kart racing is closer, year round, wet , dry, 5 or 6 heats (races ) per day so the skills get honed faster and because fields are tight there will always be someone in front and someone behind. I am still betting that the boys that do the July day will be blown away with the intensity of the experience. Secondly the best thing about multiple car ownership is to have cars that are different. The Boxster achieves that in being convertible. I still miss my one used as a DD. I used the top down much more than I thought even in wellywood. specialized cars but in different segments - that is the message both Chris B an I gave John when we had dinner in welly a couple of weeks ago. 3 Pcars and not one of them hard out enough!! selling the 996 is a big opportunity for him haha. He's gonna buy a Kart after July ... and the spare cash buys a lot of racing and trackdays in Karts, beater and 964
Thanks for that Graeme. Interesting thoughts about the Boxster for Targa Tour. I do run the same track wheels across both cars but the Targa Tour does give the cars a well deserved beating. God it's fun.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dougie - you need to buy a forth Porsche......... Then you have a daily, Sunday driver, boat tower and.........a race car......
Now there's a thought Paul. Just need to find lots of lazy dough.
Old 07-09-2014 | 04:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Failing that try Winecountry motorsport. they have branches on east and west coast. I got my Sparco three layer M5 classic race suit through them - they often have specials - I think it was about $699 on special.

http://www.winecountrymotorsports.com/
Old 07-09-2014 | 07:09 AM
Obsessed
Pro

My predictions for the next round of BB lap times...

Matt G: Disappears with his girlfriend for a camping trip to "test the suspension", returns satisfied. Lap time: one weekend.

Macca: Sneaks BB off to CCS for a quick check over. Much, much later, it has a completely new suspension setup, bigger brakes, a rebuilt gearbox and is 90kg lighter. Lap time: 130 hours.

Doug: Decides to use his warm-up lap for a brief tour of most of the North Island with his wife. Lap time: 2 weeks.

Paul: Is disappointed with the handling (gets all misty-eyed about his old C3) and ends up driving BB in reverse to get the rear-engine/RWD experience. Still manages to post an extremely impressive lap time: 1:27.9. BB however develops a nervous twitch afterwards and won't start when Paul is around.

Dave: Takes BB to Pirongia for a little work (ground-up rebuild, orange repaint, bigger engine). Unfortunately he gets pulled over because he's obviously a boy racer up to no good. Lap time: 300 hours community service.
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed

Matt G: Disappears with his girlfriend for a camping trip to "test the suspension", returns satisfied. Lap time: one weekend.

Macca: Sneaks BB off to CCS for a quick check over. Much, much later, it has a completely new suspension setup, bigger brakes, a rebuilt gearbox and is 90kg lighter. Lap time: 130 hours.

Doug: Decides to use his warm-up lap for a brief tour of most of the North Island with his wife. Lap time: 2 weeks.

Paul: Is disappointed with the handling (gets all misty-eyed about his old C3) and ends up driving BB in reverse to get the rear-engine/RWD experience. Still manages to post an extremely impressive lap time: 1:27.9. BB however develops a nervous twitch afterwards and won't start when Paul is around.

Dave: Takes BB to Pirongia for a little work (ground-up rebuild, orange repaint, bigger engine). Unfortunately he gets pulled over because he's obviously a boy racer up to no good. Lap time: 300 hours community service.
Michael you late night humour is priceless...
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:37 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Just brilliant Michael - having a good belly laugh.

Be interested on your thoughts about John and Pete??
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:50 AM
Maxem
Drifting

^^^^and Michael.
Old 07-09-2014 | 05:56 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

full glass out respray did someone say??? yep that's me
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2014 | 07:26 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Chicane Racewear in Penrose http://www.chicane.co.nz/products.asp?CategoryID=9. Ring Shane before visiting on Saturdays.

Make sure you get one with Hans holes. If you buy the Necksgen posts for $138 then you can use my Necksgen with BB without doing the full $700 cost of the system

Btw I bought the GT37.
John
nobody seems to have leapt at your little addendum on the above..
Old 07-09-2014 | 07:28 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
full glass out respray did someone say??? yep that's me
Ahhh.. so now I know what a glass out respray is..I thought it was some real fancy paint with clear coating..
Duh.!
Old 07-09-2014 | 07:29 PM
PHG
Racer

Nicely done...Michael
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Btw I bought the GT37.
Scale 1:1 or 1:24?
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Scale 1:1 or 1:24?
1:1 it's model of Helmet !!!!
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:26 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

1:1 it's model of Helmet !!!!
Don't understand - post a pic.
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Don't understand - post a pic.
.. http://www.chicane.co.nz/productdeta...ategoryID=9&b=

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?