Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, thanks. I remember that discussion now. Very nice upgrade!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only other 996 GT3 I know personally is PCNZ member James from Hamilton: http://www.porsche.org.nz/PorscheClubs/pc_newzealand/pc_main.nsf/web/5FCD2D0937069D5EC12579D1002D24EA/$file/slide_PPCAR_0069.JPG

The car is mint (people's choice at the Parade) and he loves it like a baby! I'm pretty sure he's not interested in selling it but I suppose you never know until you ask. He's the Waikato coordinater for the PCNZ and organises informal Porsche runs in the Waikato every now and then (Graham sometimes comes in his 360 too). There's one on the 16th if you're interested. (Joined the PCNZ yet?)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. How classic Peter2CS emailed me today about a lovely white Cayman R he saw as passed CCS today going to work!! Bet its the same car...but its not an R....they go well though as evidenced by the 20008 variant on the Targa last year...
Its the same one - looked like an R with the side script but saw it appear on TM earlier this evening. There's another one at Andrew Simms but without the fruit - same 2006 3.4 manual. I think it looks great in white. Off to read up on engine failures....
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You'd not forget Graham if you've met him. As the others say hes bought a Fiat so hes breaking bad now LOL!

His Iris blue one has some previous panel damage/history.

If your buying one of these always pays to go Visit Stefan at Ray Haslers with the car or Evans and ask them if they every recall doing work on it. Good way to understand the history. I spend a few hours at Stefans every time Im in NZ and hes more than happy to show me around the place and what they are working on. Thats where Ive seen things like the 996 GT3RSs x 2 pulled apart, the second RED 993 RS (not Simons old one but the Paul Halford one) being totally re shelled, the 964RS in RED owned by Wittaker with its non original front and rear bumpers etc etc etc. You can learn alot from knowing someone in one of those panel shops....

Last edited by Macca; 02-21-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 AM
savantx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjg
...anyone in the market for an NZ new manual 964 C2?
Hey mate flick me an email william@qcd.co.nz if you are serious
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Design 911 reverted. Freight cost for 6 seats would amount to GBP 558.

With seats costing GBP 538 each, the freight and GST means the final landed cost per pair is NZD 2,600 per pair. Obviously you need to add Brackets for the final install cost.

As per the advice earlier on I'm going to look at real installs to see how my 6'4" frame fits before I order anything.

On a separate topic, some BBS classic wheels have come up on Trademe. Aside from their condition is there any advice on those for track day wheels?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
On a separate topic, some BBS classic wheels have come up on Trademe. Aside from their condition is there any advice on those for track day wheels?
I'd been looking at those as well and think they're be fine. Stock tyre size even though the rears are a bit narrower than the Cup 1's. Nice tidy design. A few sets 7/8.5 have sold in the US around US$800 for what looks similar condition but then they're a bit rarer here. From what I can tell the are are around 8.8kg front and 9.2kg rear which makes them lighter that Cup 1's. I'm ideally looking for an 18" 8/9 combo but let me know if you decide not to go for it as they sure are tempting!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

And this is the thread that the photos on TM came from...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...c-request.html
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi John. Try a few seats first as you say and see which you decide. The Furious version in black (Still FAI) was 437 GBP each and your shipping quote was much more competitive than I expected so overall these would land with all hardware at around 2950 NZD. Given the savings in freight by buying together my interested is again piqued and you can consider me a contender if yourself and Peter go this route...I think you will find a Pole Position possible too short for the top belt guides but SGX version fine.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Macca, they said it was 222kg equivalent. Maybe the seats can be stacked. Anyway, I need to try some seats. I fly into Auckland tonight and pick up the C4 tomorrow morning. I'll see if I can sit in some seats over the weekend.

Peter, I am keen on those BBS but have asked for an accurate description before pulling the trigger. I don't know what's happened to people's spatial awareness but the Turbo 3.6 is the only car in my household with 4 unscratched rims. It would be a pain to fix all of them.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This is how mine looked shipped. Easy to lay head to toe. UK freight is currently cheaper than US.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Kevin Cantwell down the road may be able to let your try his seats. I know Peter Booth must always have a race car or two in his shop and Id highly recommend visiting whoever looks after the Porsche Cup cars these days...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Macca - would you run a harness bar with these or bolt to the floor?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Me, personally if I were doing a lot of track work, a harness bar (removable) like the one below (BK) which fits to 964+993 factory anchor points. I don't have a cage to get in the way and the bar can be used to mount the go pro Hero3 camera. If you were caged and stripped you would likely bolt to the floor...

For something like occasional Paydays and Targa Tour 4,5,6 point hardness are tiresome., hot and uncomfortable, restrictive (for navigator) and not really necessary IMHO. No one used them on the Tour.

Regardless of the belt system used the seats make 90% of the improvement here. The belts are just for safety.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Design 911 reverted. Freight cost for 6 seats would amount to GBP 558.

With seats costing GBP 538 each, the freight and GST means the final landed cost per pair is NZD 2,600 per pair. Obviously you need to add Brackets for the final install cost.

As per the advice earlier on I'm going to look at real installs to see how my 6'4" frame fits before I order anything.

That's pretty pricey. My Sparcos were cheaper than that direct from Neil Allport. IIRC I did a lot of research on FIA seats and actually they may be the one item you can buy in NZ for about the same price as importing on a like for like item all said and done.

On the wheels? I'd say work back from your tire and suspension set up for the wheel choice. If you're going for a hard track set up then I would go for 18s and recommend the Hankook 221s medium rear and soft fronts. These tires are the best bang for buck and are still very fast. I've done a 16.3 on them so they are capable and still DOT rated. Not so noisy that you can't drive to the track on them either.

I'd highly recommend talking to Steve about the tire and suspension set up as he's the only mechanic that's actually at the track (not having a dig at anyone else, just saying!) and has spent a lot of hours on track day set up and tires with me and on his own cars recently.

EDIT:

PS- don't forget your brakes and fluid

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?