Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can only comment on the race event but having competed in 7 Main events - mostly 5 day and an anniversary 6 day (15th year) I can say a proper set up will cost around 16-20k. That's everything except car damage from the event. entry fees, consumables, car prep, tyres, crew. crew van, fuel for both vehicles, food and accommodation for 4,
We normally load in the van quite a lot of spares, gearbox, radiator, drive shafts, suspension arms, rotors, calipers, pads, fluids (incl water), up to 200 litres fuel, tyres, The thng is its hard to catch up to the rally if you can't repair straight away so more is better than less spares. and because the entry is expensive you don't want to not complete if at all possible.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

If you watch the film "Shark Boy and Lava Girl" there is a great expression to describe your rant, you had a "brain fart". Expelling all of those built up unneeded thoughts".

I can commiserate with you. I would need a garage twice the size I currently have to accommodate cars and bikes if I pulled the trigger on some rushes of blood to the brain.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
I can only comment on the race event but having competed in 7 Main events - mostly 5 day and an anniversary 6 day (15th year) I can say a proper set up will cost around 16-20k. That's everything except car damage from the event. entry fees, consumables, car prep, tyres, crew. crew van, fuel for both vehicles, food and accommodation for 4,
We normally load in the van quite a lot of spares, gearbox, radiator, drive shafts, suspension arms, rotors, calipers, pads, fluids (incl water), up to 200 litres fuel, tyres, The thng is its hard to catch up to the rally if you can't repair straight away so more is better than less spares. and because the entry is expensive you don't want to not complete if at all possible.
Which is why I'm seriously considering taking your advice to get something more expendable for Targa duties than a 964. It's also easier to find a crew for a Japanese car than a Porsche, especially in the SI.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Hi Graeme. And that's for a Subie! I imagine tyres & consumerables could be more for some of the participants. You probably also are organised to take advantage of the early bird special saving perhaps $1k in entry on many.

I assume for clarity that all those parts you mention have already been capexed before the 16-20K budget.

Im not sure what a Subie box weighs but I can imagine it would be a feat running around the country with a 180kg G50 LSD equipped box for a 993 in the back!
Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Which is why I'm seriously considering taking your advice to get something more expendable for Targa duties than a 964. It's also easier to find a crew for a Japanese car than a Porsche, especially in the SI.
Im smelling a nice rally preped and tried and tested EVO 6 coming on here! Have to agree hands down if I were competing main event it wouldnt be in a Porsche most likely. You can buy some very competitive, tested and set up platforms with spares for $40k from what I see (half the 964 cost)...

Sean. You are going to have quite a collection. Road/track RS hot rod, Track dedicated 964, Japanese Targa warrior! I think you and I should definitely have bought that garage/warehouse we were discussing a couple of years back!
Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Im smelling a nice rally preped and tried and tested EVO 6 coming on here! Have to agree hands down if I were competing main event it wouldnt be in a Porsche most likely. You can buy some very competitive, tested and set up platforms with spares for $40k from what I see (half the 964 cost)...

Sean. You are going to have quite a collection. Road/track RS hot rod, Track dedicated 964, Japanese Targa warrior! I think you and I should definitely have bought that garage/warehouse we were discussing a couple of years back!
haha, you know me too well. That workshop is still on the cards mate, depending on where I end up.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

towed the car home today with plenty of time to reflect.
Left car at the workshop and intend to get it ship shape asap. We were very lucky, with the repairable damage sustained and able to finish the rally. We thought were well out if it but funny things happen. Our main competition went off in the slippery, foggy morning of Day 3 and we were suddenly back in the hunt. The car felt quite understeery and when we got to lunch and looked at the front tyres we could see why. Both fronts were chopped out on the inside edge - the right side had cord visible. We tape measured the toe and it was miles out - too much toe out. Bit of a lesson here because the previous evening when we were repairing at a workshop in Tauranga we had measured carefully but didn't remeasure after a drive around (only rolled it back and forth inside the workshop). So on went the spare tyres and got to the end. The stages in the afternoon weren't easy - we had a lead but really its not worth pushing if the car isn't 100%. Seemingly our competition must have repeatedly infringed the speed limit in order to catch us. So after time penalty we won class by 22 seconds (second on the road by 8 seconds without penalty)

The morning of day 3 was mayhem. The tour guys were first in and I bet pretty apprehensive. Nothing to gain really so there is no need to take undue risk. Most offs happen in those conditions on downhill into gully and a switchback at the bottom. There is more moss growing in the shady gullies we saw several cars nose first into ditches in these places.

This is where codrivers really can add value. Calling surface change - wet vs dry, moss, downhill caution, leaves on the road etc. because drivers get into a rhythm and when conditions constantly change so drivers need to adjust braking points and speed. You won't get anything harder than Ngakuru on any Targa - that's as tough as they come so if you felt ok on that you won't have any problems anywhere.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:54 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

yep spares already capexed

Sean - more the merrier happy to chat anytime
Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just an update on the 993. Dean has confirmed today the issue is in the box (unknown as yet could be something as simple as synchro or selector forks or could be something more complex/$$$).

I cant wait to have a box that functions correctly. Its been a long time!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

haha, you know me too well. That workshop is still on the cards mate, depending on where I end up.
Mate. There are enough of us around here we could all put in 50K each and own and staff our own Porsche independent. Take the dividends in "workshop hours at hard cost" and its still would be a great ROI on 50g (well for me at least LOL!).
Old 05-19-2014, 03:08 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate. There are enough of us around here we could all put in 50K each and own and staff our own Porsche independent. Take the dividends in "workshop hours at hard cost" and its still would be a great ROI on 50g (well for me at least LOL!).
I hear ya! I'm not sure I'd work on the Porsches too much myself but an Evo, no problem.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I hear ya! I'm not sure I'd work on the Porsches too much myself but an Evo, no problem.
Id struggle to open the electric roller door in the morning so you wouldnt want me on the tools. I can build a flat 6 out of lego with my eyes closed but that's as far as it goes. However when it comes to international after-market supplier relationships and identifying some trick gear for the "company demo" I think I can help.

Soccer mums need ECU lowering modules for their Cayennes after all, even the poor mums with the Macan Turbos will want a few Techart bodykit improvements to individualise their ride from the 24 other Macans outside those expensive private schools that middle class Aucklander's so love to favour (advance apologies to all those on here wed to exxy annual private school fees to give their young ones the advantage in an increasingly competitive marketplace). All this while some uneducated kid in the boondocks of thailand invents a bird app for iphone and makes 50K usd a week in royalties. Makes you wonder aye....
Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously - I'd be keen to go shares in a private car storage facility (i.e. warehouse) if others were up to it........
Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Im already spending 5K a year to store my car I guess Sean similar. Come to us with a proposal. Your the project guy. Maybe we can build something if demand dictates.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Seriously - I'd be keen to go shares in a private car storage facility (i.e. warehouse) if others were up to it........ .
Macca will tell you that Kennards has all kinds of great machinery in the garages. Peter used to work with the developer. Not sure how feasible it is but always wondered if there was a base demand for classic car storage with the extras e.g. Wheel storage, power, lift, WOF, light mechanical.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?