Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Yes Dave, would love to see some photos of little details. Like your girly style book, bits and pieces that are forming ideas. You may inspire more to join the club :-P
Girly for sure, not done much of the interior deco thing before, the aluminium machined and fabricated bits are right up my alley but fabrics etc is an entirely new skill set that I don't have.
Everything goes with black!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:26 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife Jan does all the colour co-ordination in our house and always does a nice job. I find it hard to choose. I wonder if you got samples of the aluminium finish and had all the components together to get a feel for the colour choices. The tan carpet looks nice to me with the dark brown leather. Links to the orange.

Like the sound of the aluminium folded and lasered with fine details. Your're not going for hard edges to the folds are you? Needs to be rounded corners IMO
Old 06-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave I miss read your bronze for brass now I know you meant anodised alloy. Brass is lovely it has a lustre and feel you can't achieve with alloy but it's heavy and expensive and not good for large areas or wear areas. That said would be lovely for the RS strap rosettes and small **** covers etc. if you anodised your alloy the right finish they might work well together. Have an idea on the leather but will post when on PC. Sounds like you have already put slot of thought into it Dave...
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. The Analine leather is the way to go for sure. I like the sample you have but agree it could be a bit lighter. This type of leather gets darker with wear and tear and oils from your body so forms its own patina over time. I think the old beige is the better carpet choice with this darker leather myself.

The pictures below I have pasted before. its my favourite 356 outlaw. The car was built in USA a few years back and its possible via the internet you could contact the owner and find out who supplied the leather if its of interest. Its analine saddle type leather just a couple of shades lighter than what you have plus carpet maybe a shade or two lighter again with a woven texture to it (which is what I think you need rather than a fluffy style thick pile carpet). I think you'll agree its gorgeous!
Attached Images      
Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
My wife Jan does all the colour co-ordination in our house and always does a nice job. I find it hard to choose. I wonder if you got samples of the aluminium finish and had all the components together to get a feel for the colour choices. The tan carpet looks nice to me with the dark brown leather. Links to the orange.

Like the sound of the aluminium folded and lasered with fine details. Your're not going for hard edges to the folds are you? Needs to be rounded corners IMO
Nicely rounded. Wouldn't want to get up close to a sharp dash edge whilst punching a tyre wall at turn one at HD...
Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. The Analine leather is the way to go for sure. I like the sample you have but agree it could be a bit lighter. This type of leather gets darker with wear and tear and oils from your body so forms its own patina over time. I think the old beige is the better carpet choice with this darker leather myself.

The pictures below I have pasted before. its my favourite 356 outlaw. The car was built in USA a few years back and its possible via the internet you could contact the owner and find out who supplied the leather if its of interest. Its analine saddle type leather just a couple of shades lighter than what you have plus carpet maybe a shade or two lighter again with a woven texture to it (which is what I think you need rather than a fluffy style thick pile carpet). I think you'll agree its gorgeous!
That's about it. Along those lines anyway. That external colour is just right for the internal fit out. I do like Signal Orange and wouldn't do anything but the original colour on this build but that blue works so well with the browns and tans.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

I couldn't help but peek at it when I was down last week. It's going to be such an awesome creation when you're done with it. Your attention to detail and little thoughts - tied together into a cohesive theme are going to be what makes it truly special. (No pressure)

On the leather/carpet colours I'm with the biscuit and love the look on Macca's 356 outlaw. In my unfinished transition from tan to black I really got to liking the contrast of darker seats with lighter carpets and seriously considered that route.

I keep daydreaming about my next build - it will be a lot more rough n ready.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
That's about it. Along those lines anyway. That external colour is just right for the internal fit out. I do like Signal Orange and wouldn't do anything but the original colour on this build but that blue works so well with the browns and tans.
The Bumpin Pumpkin is reborn

Old 06-01-2014, 10:12 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice 356 pics Macca. Yum
Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Dave,

I couldn't help but peek at it when I was down last week. It's going to be such an awesome creation when you're done with it. Your attention to detail and little thoughts - tied together into a cohesive theme are going to be what makes it truly special. (No pressure)

On the leather/carpet colours I'm with the biscuit and love the look on Macca's 356 outlaw. In my unfinished transition from tan to black I really got to liking the contrast of darker seats with lighter carpets and seriously considered that route.

I keep daydreaming about my next build - it will be a lot more rough n ready.
It has to be done Chris. We've got to balance out the moderns and create our own race class Of tail draggers north of 1:22.
We'll leave the eurofighters to wage war up front and we will stage a mock battle down the back in our 'moths.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
It does. Its a genuine 356 colour IIRC too. Orange is a little harder to get the balance right I agree, and it probably needs to be a fraction darker than the outlaw in these pictures. If you cant find an alternative use what you have as I think it will work.

When contemplating the interior of my own car I looked quite carefully at the "jewellery industry". Strange I know but if I were doing a similar project I would probably base the leather swatch off of one of my favourite watch straps. I had a large collection around 2008-2010 and found hunting the right strap for my Panerai Submersible (at the time since sold) to be interesting. Mine is in a picture below with a "crazy horse" strap - beige leather that changes colour with stress applied to the leather a true analine type leather. I think I might look to some of the bespoke strap tailors (unfortunately many in Italy) to see if supply of larger hides is available in a colour I liked. Probably a bit OTT for this project but just an idea. My own interior of course I chose contrasting tones (grey and black with steel highlight and a splash of red for pop). Youve sat in it with your camo hat a few times and I know you recognise there's a tonne of detail in it that's reminiscent of a mechanical watch. For your car this will be different with more earthy tones and vintage cues but to me this is the fun of your project.

trying to help where I can after all could be in my garage after youve owned it for a year LOL!
Attached Images       
Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Maxem
Drifting

trying to help where I can after all could be in my garage after youve owned it for a year LOL!
That would be a record. I'm hoping that she will be the one. If not, a 997.2 GT3 RS will be.

This leather and seat is perfect. Priced them but can't afford them.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Lovely. I think you posted these before. What are we talking for a set like that with back painted colour of your choice landed in NZ? 5-6K?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Dave. Lovely. I think you posted these before. What are we talking for a set like that with back painted colour of your choice landed in NZ? 5-6K?
I think it was around $8k for those.
I priced up GTS classics and Vintage seats. Excellent service and seats and you read nothing but good about the companies on the forums but; The book price looks attractive but when you add head rests, harness holes, painted backs in colour choice and non standard leather options, ship them down here and pay duty it just kills it. If you ticked no boxes for options it is about $3.5 - 4K.
So, I am going to make my own. Should come in at around 3k with everything I want in them. Could be good, could be bad but I'll give it a crack. My fibreglassing skills are not bad but that allergy i have developed to Resin could slow me down a bit. Takes about a week to see out my puffed up eyes if I get a dose. Safety first, full body condom.
Starting with a generic set of race bucket shells but the shoulder wings and top have to go. I will pilfer a head restraint and mechanism off a normal car seat and get that in there on a subframe. The bottom 7/8ths of the buckets will remain standard and fit to the car like race buckets do so I have no safety concerns about the arrangement. It should look period enough but give plenty of support for the track. Will paint the backs off white, or glue a lovely seam stitched canvas ensemble to them. Lovely.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Fair enough. At 5-6K it could have been viable but not at 8K. I had a good look at their site and found some recaro Pole Position replicas that looked good. Claimed base price was 1095 USD each but I suspect by the time they are at reasonable spec they will be twice that at least and may as well buy the real thing...looks like they do good work tho.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?