Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Sorry to drag you guys back to the subject of Porsches, but who's confirmed for 6 Feb at Hampton Downs?
All confirmed and paid. Doing twilight on 30th as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
All confirmed and paid. Doing twilight on 30th as well.
Same here. To merge topics it will be my last track day fora while as I'm headed back offshore. For all the reasons Macca stated it just doesn't make sense for me to come back permanently. Been a cracking summer though and had the car running mid 16s at the festival of motor racing this weekend.

If any of you are keen to come down next weekend let me know, I may have a few tickets spare to lend out.

Sadly it looked like turn 8 was peeling up again during my last race on Sunday. Hopefully they get to it midweek.

On a separate note, I know some of you have been looking at dot rated track day tires. I did a day of testing the Hankooks with Steve on my car because of the shift in PCNZ alliance from Bridgestone. I have to say the 221s are excellent. They're as quick as the RE55s and way more progressive and forgiving. Pretty quiet on the road too. If youre in a 911 get soft front and medium rear. The 214s wont be great on the road but are very good too.

Oh, and did I mention they were a lot cheaper?!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Sorry to drag you guys back to the subject of Porsches, but who's confirmed for 6 Feb at Hampton Downs?
Unfortunately I can't make the 6th as I'm away on holiday that week. Hope you all have a good day though.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
On a separate note, I know some of you have been looking at dot rated track day tires. I did a day of testing the Hankooks with Steve on my car because of the shift in PCNZ alliance from Bridgestone. I have to say the 221s are excellent. They're as quick as the RE55s and way more progressive and forgiving. Pretty quiet on the road too. If youre in a 911 get soft front and medium rear. The 214s wont be great on the road but are very good too.

Oh, and did I mention they were a lot cheaper?!
Where are you sourcing the Hankook tires from Sean, I changed out from RE55's, which are an amazing tire, to Toyo 888's, and hate the 888's - they are around 1.0-1.5 seconds a lap slower than RE55's.

Have you done a direct comparison between Hankooks and RE55's - I am trying to source RE55's from Aussie at the moment.

On the subject of merging of topic's - guys like you and Macca need to stay in NZ and create companies and opportunities you have overseas in NZ, otherwise we stay a $10 country.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Where are you sourcing the Hankook tires from Sean, I changed out from RE55's, which are an amazing tire, to Toyo 888's, and hate the 888's - they are around 1.0-1.5 seconds a lap slower than RE55's.

Have you done a direct comparison between Hankooks and RE55's - I am trying to source RE55's from Aussie at the moment.

On the subject of merging of topic's - guys like you and Macca need to stay in NZ and create companies and opportunities you have overseas in NZ, otherwise we stay a $10 country.
Steve can get them from Hankook directly I believe. Worth giving him a shout,

We did do side by side all day. The RE55s and the 214s were a dead heat on times. The 221s were a tenth or two slower. I've since had the 221s flying, once you get used to their progressiveness you can really push them. I had to go with the 221s in a soft compound all round as thats the only option for 18s in the country at the moment. The 214s are available in 17s though they won't be great for a lot of street use given lack of tread pattern.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Having just repatriated I'm probably well placed to comment. I absolutely understand the sentiment, but it's a lot easier to go to the opportunities than create them.

I'm sure both Macca & KiwiSean will be back someday, but likely when they are closer to my current age and not as driven.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Ronald Terrence Brown:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10687280

I would say a mate of mine will purchase the CSL.

The stage thing about the GT3 is it has already been reregistered:

http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=ebm55
For those who are interested the GT3 went for 114K.
And my mate purchased the CSL.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Had a vask.org.nz (VW Audi) meeting on Saturday, though you guys might like to see:

Name:  5881b52daa4d065a7c9852b7ddd3abaf.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  113.9 KB

A friend had to bring his funny looking Boxster.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Sadly it looked like turn 8 was peeling up again during my last race on Sunday. Hopefully they get to it midweek.
Looks like they tried and failed. Twilight tonight is cancelled - hope it's all good for the 6th and beyond. Seems like a major and the heat won't be helping.

“It is with great regret Wednesdays Twilight at Hampton Downs must be postponed. Due to major track repairs having to be done this week all events have been postponed for the next few days. The circuit was repaired on the 21st of December, unfortunately the repairs were unsuccessful with the track repairs falling apart. On the 23rd of January Hamptons Staff worked all night to replace the repairs with a new formula of asphalt, this also fell to bits and was once again replaced on the 25th of Jan. This repair failed during the Denny Hulme Festival last weekend and more work was carried out on the 26th. Each time we have contracted the firm to fix the surface the repairs have failed. Tonight work starts again to try and repair our track to the standard you all know and enjoy."
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

My friend is racing his 944 there on Saturday. Just had a text saying as far as he knew that meet was still on, so you may still be ok for the 6th.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Looks like we're all set. Who else is heading down tomorrow from RL?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep - looks like being a fine day and a dry track. In early and grab the same position?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 AM
savantx
Intermediate

Hi Guys,

Good to see there are a few kiwis on here. I am on the hunt for a 964 (coupe, manual) at the moment so please let me know if you know of anything out there! I am tempted by the blue turbo on TradeMe but don't think I'd feel great about driving it frequently.

I've previously had an E30 M3 and a Skyline GTR track car and on the look out for something a little different.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by savantx
Hi Guys,

Good to see there are a few kiwis on here. I am on the hunt for a 964 (coupe, manual) at the moment so please let me know if you know of anything out there! I am tempted by the blue turbo on TradeMe but don't think I'd feel great about driving it frequently.

I've previously had an E30 M3 and a Skyline GTR track car and on the look out for something a little different.

Cheers
Welcome! Glad to have another 964 fan around.

Having just been through this 18 months ago I can say be prepared to spend some time looking, it took me a year. There might be a miracle show up on Trademe but the best examples are known and sell before hitting open market. Your best bets for finding one are going to be Steve Rasmussen at Europacific, Dean Huston at Contis and Nick Richmond at the 964 club, IMO.

The other option is actually to import. Pistonheads is covered in 964s at the moment and the exchange rate has never been better!

Macca, did I miss anything mate?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Another cracking day today gents. The Porsche group is proving massively popular. I hope you guys keep it up and I look fwd to joining, hopefully with Macca too, when I'm back in NZ next.

If there's anything I can do to help remotely please let me know.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?