Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014 | 08:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I need to raid your house for parts.......... .
You could go skip diving for the two I discarded. However they are at the bottom (skip is there for a for more days) .

Equally happy for you to take the other two spares down if you want to cover your bases.
Old 03-04-2014 | 08:52 PM
PHG
Racer

With the weather like this, I won't be doing the Uncles tonight Phil.

Like Macca - just discovered 221's are not suitable for road use. After only 1 track day and less than 1,000km's I am having to replace 1 that has a screw stuck in it.........!

So will be going back to road tires after SITT..........

Just thinking about it Doug and John, as we run the same size tires I could be wise to take a spare set that we could all share should something go wrong??
Damn, just came in from changing the wheels, got soaked as soon as I started (dry all morning) and was pondering too..
they say it was going to clear but it all seems later than it should be..
maybe next month? My car has no racing refinements, any other track days this month where I don't need all the equipment
Old 03-04-2014 | 08:54 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Tyre condition. I discarded one rear and one front (both lefts), putting the keepers under my house.
Should match up the 2 residual rights to my ones and we'd have a set!
Old 03-04-2014 | 08:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Should match up the 2 residual rights to my ones and we'd have a set!
Sounds like a plan. Put them on the classics and you have a spare set for the SITT. What size are you running in the '44?
Old 03-04-2014 | 09:00 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
On a non-CGT grovelling note, I'd like some advice from the keen trackdayers/racers here.

I am planning on buying a trackday car that I can move into racing with and have narrowed it to 3 options (I think, I always change my mind)

1. E36 320i BMW, start it out in 2k Cup before building everything up to be ready for the BMW Open 2L class. Upside here is that it's cheap to begin with and eligible for a cheap series, the 2k Cup. Downside is once it's a 2L class car it will be a more expensive series and have cost me a bit and still be pretty slow really.

2. E36 M3, skip the 2k Cup, go for track days building it up for BMW Open. Upside here is it will be a much quicker car and better base package, downside is I'm competing against the big boys with the big budgets then.

3. 944. I really do like my Porsche's and the race series would be quite fun to enter. Upside is the base package is quick and I'd be competing alongside GTRNZ which I can convince a friend to enter. Downside is once again budgets are a fair bit higher and I'm not sure about 944 parts availability versus the world of choices for E36s. Also I can only seem to find left hand drive S2s for sale and I'm not sure how good that would be for occasional road use and even on the track since I'm not used to it.

Obviously the cheapest option is to buy someone's pre-built race car (this one any good? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=695313020) but first;y I'm earning the money as I'd spend it and secondly I think I would enjoy building up a car as much as I would racing it.
No experience withe BMW's but I bought a 944S2 racecar (road legal) last year and I still have the smile on my face. Only run it for track days so far but would like to do the Porsche Series later in the year. Great balance and feel - lots of fun. Nothing unusual maintenance wise yet but it was well built - someone else had put the money into it first.

My neighbour has just bought his first p-car and as a result has an E36 M3 for sale. 200,000k but he's owned it for 10 years and its in immaculate condition - not asking too much for it either. Would need to be stripped and caged for your purpose though plus all usual suspension mods.

Feel free to get in touch with any Q's - can't recall if you're in Akl but if so you;re more than welcome to have at look at both cars and go for a blast.
Old 03-04-2014 | 09:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Your boat still on track for the weekend? Getting close now. You must be excited!
Old 03-04-2014 | 09:33 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Damn, just came in from changing the wheels, got soaked as soon as I started (dry all morning) and was pondering too..
they say it was going to clear but it all seems later than it should be..
maybe next month? My car has no racing refinements, any other track days this month where I don't need all the equipment
There is a Playday on 12th March.

Old 03-04-2014 | 09:38 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug, did you get that power unit installed? My car is starting to have the same problem as the house i.e. never enough sockets. Herman will need to run Iphone, Tom Tom, GoPro and possibly AIM (it seems to be battery light but you never know).
Yes I did, bought from Jaycar. Plugs into cigarette lighter (I'll get it permanently wired in due course) and it has 2x cigarette lighter outlets and 2x usb outlets. I cable toed it up under the passenger footwell out of sight. Works well. Jaycar have several options like this. Cost very little, like 20-30 bucks I think
Old 03-04-2014 | 09:44 PM
PHG
Racer

its clear up here Paul (Orewa) ..I might just go for a drive..
Old 03-04-2014 | 09:44 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
What exhaust are you putting on there, or just going straight through? It will be interesting to see how the wrap goes, I'm thinking of doing something similar soon (not on nearly as nice a car though!).

I think you need to tell us all when you will be starting it up at CCS so we can come see!
The new exhaust is from AWE Tuning in the US and is straight pipes.

The car will start the wrap process soon and that is happening at CCS whilst in pieces.

After that it will head to Napier by truck. It's only done 3000km so not keen to add 500km just to get it home.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-04-2014 | 09:46 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
its clear up here Paul (Orewa) ..I might just go for a drive..
I'm up in Gulf Harbour every second day at the moment - might have to come see you for a cuppa.

Old 03-04-2014 | 09:50 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Now this would be nice, Paul Newman’s Porsche – 1974 Porsche 911S. http://www.sportscardigest.com/cars-...-porsche-911s/
Dave's colour too

With the weather like this, I won't be doing the Uncles tonight Phil. Like Macca - just discovered 221's are not suitable for road use. After only 1 track day and less than 1,000km's I am having to replace 1 that has a screw stuck in it.........! So will be going back to road tires after SITT.......... Just thinking about it Doug and John, as we run the same size tires I could be wise to take a spare set that we could all share should something go wrong??
I'll have two sets (road 17s and track 16s or 17s) but not 221s yet. Too much other rubber to burn up first
Old 03-04-2014 | 09:51 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
The new exhaust is from AWE Tuning in the US and is straight pipes.

The car will start the wrap process soon and that is happening at CCS whilst in pieces.

After that it will head to Napier by truck. It's only done 3000km so not keen to add 500km just to get it home.

Cheers

Matt
Matt,

Did you buy this new in NZ or import it?

Would you be brave enough to take this beast to the track??

Cheers
PM
Old 03-04-2014 | 10:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Matt, Did you buy this new in NZ or import it? Would you be brave enough to take this beast to the track?? Cheers PM
I'm waiting for the next question. Have you already checked that you fit in the passenger seat?
Old 03-04-2014 | 10:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

LOL. Yep, I can see Pauls 993 "unfortunately breaking down" on that track day...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?