Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The existing Porsche seat is way to heavy John. That chair weighs 35+KG vs 12kg for a bucket. Times two and you have almost 50kg of immediate weight savings.

Ive done a quick search on Rennlist today and it seems that most 911 owners 6'3" or over have the same issue. It seems the only solution for someone serious about racing the car is to install buckets on their lowest bracket setting, remove the seat cushion for the race and even then everyone says its only possible (without pain) on a non sunroof car. There's an inch in the non sunroof format (which Sean has).

I think if you are going to get serious with this and need comfort and safety to boot you may have to seriously look at sunroof delete, a bucket on its lowest bracket settings and remove the bottom squab. Also a lightweight low profile helmet is worth considering.

Im 6"1 and my seats are on the highest setting. I dont rub the roof liner with my Bell open helmet or my HJC closed helmet. As you can see from picture below Im one below the highest slot but with the angle I have the base set up I can only go one slot lower (which Im having done next time the car is in for work to see what ists like). Thats around 1/2 and inch but there is one more slot below that (however I think the rear of the seat will have clearance issues with full caret cars like mine at that setting). The rake of the seat is important and you will see that mine arent too upright which buys at least 1 inch headroom. By way of reference Dean and Tony at CCS can both drive my car comfortably at current settings and they are both between 6'1-6'3".

My best advise would be to ask David Mackrel who the tallest Bridgestone 911 drivers are, get their phone numbers from him and give these guys a call for their seat/modification recommendations.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Gents. The September Track Tour is now on CarreraSport site so hit the link below to sign up and make sure you are part of this great event...

http://www.europacific.co.nz/playday...php?topic=15.0
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM
cbnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John, yes, removable squab, but not necessary to remove it. A race seat and harness makes a great difference on track days, you do not have to brace yourself when cornering and braking and in the event that you have an "incident", you are better off, as I imagine that you will not have a cage. I am 6 ft tall. Cheers, Craig.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by cbnz
Hi John, yes, removable squab, but not necessary to remove it. A race seat and harness makes a great difference on track days, you do not have to brace yourself when cornering and braking and in the event that you have an "incident", you are better off, as I imagine that you will not have a cage. I am 6 ft tall. Cheers, Craig.
Sounds like I need to visit Chicane. I also have to buy a suit etc so it needs to be when I've got more than a few minutes.

BTW you'd think I'd know better after 11+ years of ownership. Do not place your wallet on the whale tail before you go for a drive, unless you want a call from your bank saying it's been found. Thankfully an honest person returned it, the perfect end to a great drive. The old girl still has it. What a great road car.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:07 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

we all need some good fortune now and then. makes you feel that good when that happens - would have ruined your next couple of days having to cancel cards and get new ones.

My race shop has installed motor and gearbox and run the car for a bit to bed on new rings and bearings. I haven't had time to drive it yet but he says the gearbox is real good. He has an older hollinger sequential installed in a 22B track car and says my one is much better even just taking it easy and using clutch all the time. Car goes in for ecu/gearbox and dyno tuning teusday.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt - did you sell the 64?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello Chaps,

Thought I might jump in.
Just secured Matt's red 964 and fanged it home.

So anyway, I was cruising this site the other day and saw a couple of pics that make you think bloody hell, that's familiar?

Bit of detective work and it Turns out I'm about five doors down from a silver Turbo 3.6 (how'd you swing the other two?) and three up from a blue Turbo 3.3, and just across and up is another trio.

The Kohi 911 honeypot.....

Will wander over and introduce myself soon

Dave.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave, Welcome and great purchase. Good to have you on board.

For those who don't know Dave previously owned one of the finest 993's in NZ and has owned a string of BMW product.

Sounds like your living in the right area. You guys should fund your own workshop down there LOL!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Welcome Dave, that is truly scary. C2, C4, 964 Cup, 964 Turbo, Turbo 3.6, 993 Manual, 993 Tip, Cayenne and Cayman all in one street. Lets ditch HD and start our own circuit around the Bays.

Oops, forgot the 996 Turbo as well.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Father Christmas has come early
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Very nice John.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Father Christmas has come early
Father christmas can now afford to retire.. they do look good tho John
What steet you in, maybe it would be easier if the balance of the RSC just came to there, save over 50% of the people travelling..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

They will look great John.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
PHG
Racer

Macca, you popped up in conversation last night as I dined with a good friend, John Currie..
I can see why you stay on the rock now..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Phil. Damn its a small world! Yes I helped John buy a Helco business up here late last year. There's a man that has some nice horses in his stable!

The Rock has its ups and downs. Boredom can be one of those problems. The nice thing is its not a PC "nanny state" here. If you are sensible you can pretty much live life without all the rules & reg's back home spoiling the fun. probably like NZ was back in the 60s. Sure its a far more basic existence but it lacks all the pretense and ostentaciousness (present company excluded of course) I find increasingly obvious when I return to "the Switzerland of the Pacific" and elsewhere. Most of all its forced us to become "global citizens" and we now look at the world quite differently than we did before - reading The Four Hour Working Week (a book mentioned here a few times in previous posts) helps to explain what I mean. Ive got the 4 hours a week thing nailed but I haven't figured out how to make any money in 4 hours a week so still working out that part of the puzzle LOL!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?