Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Talking about coloured brake calipers, I really like the look and stance of this 993, especially the yellow calipers - which normally indicate carbon disks. What is the general consensus on painting calipers yellow when not having carbon disks - is this a "not the done thing".

I love the stance of this car, once the PSS10's are installed, the brief will be the make the cars stance look like this (instead of a Kabota)
Im pretty sure that Porsches first car with yellow calipers was the 993 Turbo S and they didnt have carbons.
Do it if you like it, at the end of the day its only paint so easy to change.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
John, I did some research on iPhone mounts. Came up with a variety of options but decided to go with one that a 993 mate in Australia swore by. Its all billet alloy construction anodised black. Bit pricey but solid, secure and nicely designed. It has a adjustable grip which I figures would work with my Mophie 2100 mah extended battery case as I dont want to run a wire to the iPhone (just charge it up ever few days). They do it in silver too. Its free shipping as its designed in Oz. www.nkmos.com __________________
I've been through three mounts now without them holding the phone stable enough for good video. About to make my second mod to try and get a second fixing point. If it fails I may try this too
Old 01-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. Im not a big fan of the yellow calipers myself. Prefer the red.
You can buy my red calipers after the SITT when I have the Big Reds fitted before the NITT if you wish. I will have used up the discs and pads on the SITT and therefore will no be selling as a set. They may save you a rebuild in the future.

That stance to me looks like 10-15mm below Mo30 height so maybe 20mm above RS
Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I've been through three mounts now without them holding the phone stable enough for good video. About to make my second mod to try and get a second fixing point. If it fails I may try this too
Thats interesting Doug. I bought this for GPS (TomTom on iPhone) more than for video as I run a GoPro from the rear cage. I guess I might run it on Video with Harrys Lap Timer (but the resolution is so poor it wasnt a major consideration). Anyway apparently it is a stable unit as it has a bit of heft but well find out on the SITT I guess. I think mounting any camera on window-screen will pick up a bit of vibration - the best was my GoPro suction arm but that thing is massive.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Actually, it's the Fuchs that let it down. If I were you I'd fire sale them.
The tenth commandment, thou shalt not cover thy neighbour's fuchs.

Better view of the car without decals. Might get magnetic race numbers so I can get the full effect of unfurnished flanks. Maybe if my paint was as good as Chris'? I think I will go black if I do put more on. Now what to do about the SUV height?

Doug, pray for a dry weekend on the 7th as my fronts are close to slicks.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

I think I prefer the car without Carrera decals down the side. It looks cleaner.

Once the new coil overs provide you with a RS ride height, it will look uber cool.........

Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
The tenth commandment, thou shalt not cover thy neighbour's fuchs. Better view of the car without decals. Might get magnetic race numbers so I can get the full effect of unfurnished flanks. Maybe if my paint was as good as Chris'? I think I will go black if I do put more on. Now what to do about the SUV height? Doug, pray for a dry weekend on the 7th as my fronts are close to slicks.
It is really looking good all white. If you get magnetic numbers can we look at all the fonts available. They have lots of awful fonts IMO and only one or two ones that are plain, classic and would suit the car, again just IMO. My fussiness comes from owning a design shop for 10 + years - LOL

So are you replacing your fronts after the Cape Reinga run?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John, I think I prefer the car without Carrera decals down the side. It looks cleaner. Once the new coil overs provide you with a RS ride height, it will look uber cool......... .
+1
Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I agree with above. Try red magnetic numbers. I think they will look good to break up the black/white.

I almost ordered some of these a few nights ago on trackdecals.com for fun for the 991 GT3 when we go on the NITT.....then I discovered it had alloy doors.

I was looking at early morning picture of the car in Tuscany when figuring out the door size for the decal and skipped through a few pics then realised the bonnet, roof and door were all showing different condensation to the wings, bumper and rear book lid. Did a quick look up on google and sure enough the roof, fuel filler flap, doors and trunk lid are all alloy (the rear engine lid is carbon composite, bumpers are PU) LOL! Just saved $35 USD!
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Nice save Macca. That would be funny to see you putting in the numbers at a RSG event and have them fall to the ground :-P. Would earn you the L plate I reckon. The 981 (and assume the 991) has alloy doors bonnet and trunk lid too. Interesting the look you can get with condensation. Do the doors feel light in normal usage or not really noticable?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Pete and Macca. I spent much of the night awake being pissed off with the potential oil starvation issues with my M97 engine. Theres a 987.2 S for sale in Chch which would be a perfect swap but would cost me $30-40k so not good value.

So I spent the night thinking about importing a white 987 Spider LOL. Better performance and investment than a 987.2 even though the umbrella roof is a PITA. Pete, I dont like the red or black one for sale. For a spider it has to be white for me, bucket seats, manual of course, air con and stereo. I feel like I'm doing a "John" - changing my mind LOL! Can I delete all those posts arguing against the Spider? Ha
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm getting the hint.

Doug, if you have time, go onto the track decal site and tell me which font works.

I'm very happy with the Z221 wear. Very even side to side and front to rear wear. The whole set needs replacing. I have already paid for a new set and they're being held at Mega tyre. I will fit them after the cape Reinga run. That means the existing ones just need to last 1,000km and one twilight day, plus maybe a regularity trial.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes Doug, the 981/991 have alloy doors. They were lighter than the 993 which was expected but they didnt feel significantly light. The composite rear engine lid did feel very light however.

Im told that what makes the NKMOS mounts so stable is the oversized mating point between the suction cup and the arm (sighter once racheted down). Solid alloy construction helps dampen the vibration a little too. Often the RAM mounts have a small ball jointed interface between the cup assembly and the arm and I think this may actually amplify the high frequency vibrations.

Ill try it out and let you know or you may want to borrow it at the track on the SITT for a few sessions and see for yourself.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete and Macca. I spent much of the night awake being pissed off with the potential oil starvation issues with my M97 engine. Theres a 987.2 S for sale in Chch which would be a perfect swap but would cost me $30-40k so not good value.

So I spent the night thinking about importing a white 987 Spider LOL. Better performance and investment than a 987.2 even though the umbrella roof is a PITA. Pete, I dont like the red or black one for sale. For a spider it has to be white for me, bucket seats, manual of course, air con and stereo. I feel like I'm doing a "John" - changing my mind LOL! Can I delete all those posts arguing against the Spider? Ha
I saw that one in Chch and nearly mentioned it - but didn't in case I got told off for being pushy! Even thought if it were still there it would be a fantastic end to the SITT - pick up and drive home. But then you do need to sell one!

Tony was going to do an update post on his purchase (with pics) but he has been busy working on the 987.1 oiling issues. I think he has the deep sump and baffles en route from Autofarm in the UK. Don't think he has gone as far as Accusump. I believe Pete M's should also be back on the road as of this week so should be plenty of newly accumulated wisdom on solving those issues.

But then I would buy the RED Spyder!!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug, it makes sense. You know how cool the Syder is/looks. Its the RS of the boxster range too. Much better investment from a residual point of view.

Youve come through the last 12 months relatively unscathed by the modification and upgrade disease compared to many around here. Weve had everything from the addition of GT3s, 993 people buying suspension, rebuilding engines, putting in cages, commissioning long hood hot rod builds, buying race cars etc. I think the average core RSG member spend on their "hobby" this last 12 mo ths would have to be 40k+ per head over a core group of say 12 of us.

Look on the bright side. You now have 40K to spend!

PS (you needed to update the 986 as it was a long time daily driver and getting old - doesnt count as a serious upgrade just an update LOL!).

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?