Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:55 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You have all probably read the rules for Levels and Highlands and know from the playday email today that there is a 95db restriction/sound check at Levels which the strictly police. Luckily Highlands is 65 on the boundary equating to around 104db on the track at its closest point to the boundary. In the PLayday newsletter on the SITT they made the comment that 95db was loud but I recall UK Pistonheads guys finding they were unable to participate on teh track after the UK tracks lowered their dbs to 94-97db at 4000 rpm a few years ago.

I was working today on getting a head-start on the GT3 compliance and upon pouring over the factory supplied COC I discovered what I suspected (and had rumoured to be true). The 991 GT3 makes 96db at 4000 rpm and in all likelihood would be too loud for Levels (tho ok for Highllands - a "non PC" race track).

Its very interesting. The 993 is subjectively fractionally quieter than the 991 GT3 at 4000 rpm but I would only guess around 1-2db so will be touch and go there. All of the RSG crew should be fine save Richard with his new GT3 tho they may let it go. Im not sure what Matts new exhaust is supposed to make at 4000rpm but suggest it may be close too - maybe 94db......
And you reckon the 993 is quieter..... where's that Tui advert!!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

You have all probably read the rules for Levels and Highlands and know from the playday email today that there is a 95db restriction/sound check at Levels which the strictly police. Luckily Highlands is 65 on the boundary equating to around 104db on the track at its closest point to the boundary. In the PLayday newsletter on the SITT they made the comment that 95db was loud but I recall UK Pistonheads guys finding they were unable to participate on teh track after the UK tracks lowered their dbs to 94-97db at 4000 rpm a few years ago. I was working today on getting a head-start on the GT3 compliance and upon pouring over the factory supplied COC I discovered what I suspected (and had rumoured to be true). The 991 GT3 makes 96db at 4000 rpm and in all likelihood would be too loud for Levels (tho ok for Highllands - a "non PC" race track). Its very interesting. The 993 is subjectively fractionally quieter than the 991 GT3 at 4000 rpm but I would only guess around 1-2db so will be touch and go there. All of the RSG crew should be fine save Richard with his new GT3 tho they may let it go. Im not sure what Matts new exhaust is supposed to make at 4000rpm but suggest it may be close too - maybe 94db......
I have an app on my iPhone. I'll need to check my primary muffler bypass. Luckily I have a primary muffler in my stock of spares so I can adapt if necessary.

The other point non motorsport people will have to watch out for is the extinguisher requirements. They must now have two catches, which rules out many of the sexy offshore kit. Andy Culpin at HD does a 964 one for $140 including mount and extinguisher. I think he also fits out other Porsches.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:22 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

I'm screwed for Targa then. I'm at 110db on the new car. I'll add exhaust to the to-do list!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
The other point non motorsport people will have to watch out for is the extinguisher requirements. They must now have two catches, which rules out many of the sexy offshore kit. Andy Culpin at HD does a 964 one for $140 including mount and extinguisher. I think he also fits out other Porsches.
Yes, he has made up a heap of brackets. I have one. His black bracket attaches to the front bolts holding the passenger seat slider rails in place. Works well.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug. Yes and no. Strickly speaking it was formed on the track back in late 2012 when Sean returned to NZ and took delivery of the Red 964 RS spec car in early Nov 2012 and hooked up with Steve, Jason (Black 964C4 and blue 964T), Pete and Paul at a Playdays HD event. However it didn't gain its name or formal organisation until a few of us started to talk on here after a March Playdays HD event (the first one I attended). Steve and I spent three days together at Sydney Rennsport Event and discussed the general charter of a few beers, I floated a NITT event in April after leaving NZ, which became the cornerstone of the 2013 calender, and Pete kept herding the cats and making sure we did it right as he is brilliant at. Steves son put the site together after the Rennsport weekend and we chose a logo and name after a long protracted period of procrastination followed by a bout of last minute energy and aided by a dollop of Petes level handedness and democratic direction. A committee was formed of 5 key members (key only because they are committee LOL!) and most of June/July was spent building the site and the charter and rules and aligning our expectations of the group and its emphasis. Michael was critical to getting this garble into real words on the site. Steve was the yoda sage director coming in with stuff like "hey man, its will all fall into place, you have to be patient, it will all work out in the long run". I really love Steve but sometimes I think he misses the commune. Steve's son Michael put together the site and Chris B and Paul benefited the process by their consideration of issue and weighing in with some pragmatism when things got a bit excited (like the debate on whether we should allow non-Porsche cars to attend - which I still disagree on LOL!). Me, Im a bit like Sean, typical Type A personality, just a jumping bean that wants to go forward fast, create lots of energy/direction but some turbulence as well with not too much time for the detail. A life of motivating sales teams probably... Without Pete its becomes very Lord of the Flies. He's the glue that holds it together and the hand that often deflects the rock as it is biffed from the top of the hill by a naughty child. There are also some neat George Orwell Animal Farm analogies I can think of here but enough's enough! Two legs good, four legs....anyway thanks Pete, not sure your efforts are thanked enough here and you are a true diplomat and gentleman. SITT, then the NITT (which should seem such a breeze after the SIT and which I believe we should make an even more social event) and then for the fully insane and committed the NI Targa Tour....big year. Lets hope the cars can handle it and the wallet too! P.S. I may have all or some of the details above wrong and I take all care and no responsibility for the accuracy and character assignations implied or otherwise yada yada yada...
Thanks Macca. Very interesting. I will forever be grateful to Micheal for introducing me to the group I think after the first Playday. We met at a couple of HD PCNZ events and swapped contact details and he later emailed me asking if I would be interested in joining your "Playday" Porsche group. The rest is very pleasant history.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
The wild west is back boys - I'm quite keen to do this day...........anyone else keen??
Uncles....
Welcome back for the 2014 Uncles Season!!
Its a New Year but the same old Unlces, some of the best fun you can have with your pants on!!

Remember to find us on the Facebook and post pics and videos from your day!!
https://www.facebook.com/TheUnclesClub
When: Tuesday 4th February - Laps Start @ 4.30pm and will run through to 7.00pm
If track gates are closed Sign in will be at ticket office in main carpark then gates will open @ 4.00pm

What to Bring: $65 Per Driver - Cash or Cheque Sorry No Eftpos/Credit Facilities Available
Helmets are Compulsory - Motorbike / Motor Cross Helmets are OK

Where: Hampton Downs Motor Sport Park - Hampton Downs Road Off SH 1 Waikato Expressway - Centre Track.
I'm pretty interested in this - especially if I don't get the car back tomorrow!

Groundsky have posted pics of RSG members at last weekends racing. I sense there will be more of us out there next year!
Great pic with you, Chris & Steve. Three porsche varieties, three paint schemes, all in the club.

Andy Culpin at HD does a 964 one for $140 including mount and extinguisher. I think he also fits out other Porsches.
ChrisB mentioned Andy to me at HD a while back -- what's his contact info?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Chris, I think you must have jumped enough hurdles to get this done tomorrow. At least one 1990 C4 needs to make it to Pukekohe.

Andy's number is +64 21 172 6345. His business is Race Fx, located in the garages at the entrance to HD
Old 01-23-2014, 04:22 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

For now the compliance saga appears to be at a close. For anyone considering importing a Porsche, and a US one particularly, this might be helpful.

1) Fog lights - I showed them how to turn them on. Burned out bulb? No problem, got a spare right here!

2) Airbag light - Used Durametric to reset, showed it was gone and signed a declaration that I'd fixed it.

3) Headlight Pattern - John McM saved me by letting me borrow his. Mine threw a messier pattern they weren't happy with. I swapped bulbs, reseated lenses, no luck. Mine are Bosch RHD lenses bought as NOS, though there are some differences from John's -- need to investigate this... still a bit mystified as my LHD's were beautiful. Thanks John!

4) Adjustable Suspension - Dean @ Conti's on Macca's advice came to the rescue with a letter stating that my car comes from the factory with adjustable suspension. And yes, that 1.5" (edit: ~40mm, I'm learning!) of threading on a Bilstein counts as adjustable. I can't help but think they are misinterpreting the rules somehow, otherwise every Allroad, every Q7, anything that can alter it's height automatically would require LVV cert. Nevermind the low-tech manual stuff?

5) US Cars - Porsche stamps a 17-digit number in front of the tank that's used globally as a VIN, except in the US market. US (not surprisingly) does things differently, so a different VIN is on the door sticker and stamped at the window. Dean also addressed this and provided confirmation is is indeed the same vehicle.

6) Rear seats -- addressed earlier by more loan stuff from Euro Pacific.

My advice is that if any of you are bringing something in that has adjustability, be prepared with something from Porsche stating this is factory or pay for an LVVC & add wait time. I'm not opposed to one if I were go swap to true coil overs, I just have a hard time when it feels like it's for the wrong reason.

Wish me luck I get the call NZTA has approved everything and I have time to buy rego & plates before 5PM tomorrow! :big gulp:
Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I've enrolled in the one day ecolight targa tour on 2nd March with Paul kindly running as co-driver. Anyone else in this group entered?

Would be good to compare notes and we're going to do a reconnaissance run when I get the route handbook.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I've enrolled in the one day ecolight targa tour on 2nd March with Paul kindly running as co-driver. Anyone else in this group entered?

Would be good to compare notes and we're going to do a reconnaissance run when I get the route handbook.
Doug - Chris and Pete have entered. And maybe Sean??
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Who's Chewbacca........?

I reckon Michael is C3PO.........
Ha ha, awesome. I don't think we have anyone hairy enough to be Chewbacca?

I think Macca would quite like to be Luke.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen, a question: what's up with the 930? No one here owns one that I know of, and they never seem to get a mention. Are they too old/dangerous/crude/expensive/rare/unloved? There were 2 or 3 for sale in the PCNZ classifieds for a long time but they seem to have disappeared.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just caught up on a few pages.
Sorry to hear Macca about the compliance hassles. Just have to grind though it all no matter how frustrating but at least its not time urgent now ... but bugger all the same
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Ha ha, awesome. I don't think we have anyone hairy enough to be Chewbacca?

I think Macca would quite like to be Luke.
Thanks Michael for biting. Its actually really hard to get a rise on this board sometimes with everyone talking fire extinguisher brackets and stuff....where the humour I ask you?

I actually wanted to be Princess Leah. Only for one day you understand. At least I did until I said it to myself aloud whilst writing this and realised my house-girls name is Leah. My house girl has hairy legs and false teeth. It kinda put me off. Luke was a bit sissy really. Took him more seriously after the face scar though. Hans is the one Id choose if Im honest. Hes a man's man eh! My only issue is he has a wooky as a friend. I have a really tall wife but thankfully she isn't hairy so that doesnt work. Maybe Sean can be Hans. Hans with a tan. John is tall enough for the wooky and I reckon he had a tash for a long while when he was younger so Im putting him up for the wooky. Paul is definitely an ewok......

Probably best to sign off now and let you all cough up your rice bubbles reading this in the morning!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
And you reckon the 993 is quieter..... where's that Tui advert!!
At 4000rpm it almost certainly is. The GT3 is quote loud after 3500 and the 993 is quiter after 2000...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?