Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

Paul. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year mate. See you at STT in 2014!
Cheers Macca - you too mate..........
Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
That's not hard.............. I'm happy to volunteer taking the 3.6T John (I have no shame - I know)
Same as last time I.e. Return road journey and familiarisation laps only given its insurance and prep state. Does that still work? I'm wondering as you are down to drive on the day and we don't want to lose a driver....
Old 11-28-2013, 06:42 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Yep, those are Google map hours. We'll have time for a decent coffee stop then :-) Anyone got a view on google map trip time estimate vs Porsche run reality?
I'd expect at least a 10% margin of error, probably closer to 15-20% if you're enjoying yourself.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Especially when the 964 is the better looking and driving car...
If it were only true....the residuals might be a bit higher on 964s!

Anyone that has owned both will know what its about. Still the most attractive designed 911 IMO. Pete had a really nice example (but it was tipo IICC) which he brought back from UK. I think he regretted selling that one for a while...

Just reviewing some footage from our Targa Tour last year.This was one of 5 similar incidences. As you can see from the footage taken 15 seconds before the road was straight with gentle curves. Most of us were doing 180-190, Im guessing the boys in the M3 were pushing on a bit harder and f*cked up. Shame as it was the third BMW write off in our Targa Tour out of 5 write offs. Inexperience at driving fast on chipseal didn't help I suspect.

Just wanting to maintain an appropriate level off adrenaline for our Targa Tour assault next year LOL!

P.S. Walter if they revert back to the 2012 format as I think they will in 2014 there will be plenty of chances for you to press on. No safety gear so plenty exciting enough...
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Those black 991 GT3's look like the next batmobile - very nasty..............
Yip. Looks mean in black alright. heres midnight blue and a few other deliveries that took place in the last 24hrs....
Attached Images      
Old 11-28-2013, 03:43 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunday run. Be outside Columbus Coffee at Smales Farm Takapuna at 8.00am sharp for route briefing and 8.15am departure.

https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?t=m&q...output=classic

Have printouts of the route and it won't be difficult - not too many turnoffs so navigation easy but we get to see plenty of lower Northland. At this stage we have 8 P-cars running.

Pete, Macca, Phil, Doug, Dave, Chris, mjg, Nzskater (rescheduling stuff to come)

Paul has to work :-(
John is meeting us at the end.
We're ending up at The Riverhead for a casual beer and food.
There's a good spot half way through the trip where we can get a second coffee fix (assuming you get the first at Columbus or on the way there).

BTW - as a relative newby to this forum - how do you guys know who is behind some of these creative pseudenyms? (I've had to build a little database as I come across someone I don't know being addressed by name - thanks muchly to Macca's many posts where he often uses their name in reply. Is there a way to find the full name of someone that I haven't found yet?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Names are difficult. You just pick up on them after a while, unless the actual name is in the profile info.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Absolutely perfect Doug. Cant wait. From experience with Ron 6-8 cars is teh perfect group size. See you there latte man!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 AM
JenSP
Intermediate

If its a no stories car then I would pay his reserve for it (if he wouldn't negotiate). For someone wanting a low km original manual NZ coupe its pretty much as good as it gets. The only way it could be better is if it had varioram (like your targa).
nice looking car - if it was the mirror image of my LHD (varioram with black interior) I might have pulled the trigger when advertised several months ago (subject to PPI). How reliable is carjam info ? just looking at the summary says this car is blue .......

I looked at an identically coloured C2S in the UK earlier in the year - silver on light gray - both great on their own but for me not an ideal combo and quite unusual spec, with most silver's having a darker contrast interior.

Just noticed this RHD 964 WB anniversary - rare and low miles but almost turbo pricing @ GBP60k ! http://www.findaporsche.com/showroom...anniversary-2/

In pics I quite like Amethyst but never seen that colour in the flesh - probably not for everyone.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul, you are the Green trace.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 AM
JenSP
Intermediate

A guy I know in Monaco just got his new 991 GT3 yesterday. It will keep his Zonda and F40 company. Looks just awesome in flat black. I cant do another dark car but if I could this would be a good choice. Second picture of a black one just delivered to a customer in Dusseldorf. This car looks good in every colour Ive seen it. ..getting excited now...
These GT3's do look the business - apparently 2 already delivered here but don't know who to - really keen to see one up close.

Sadly the porsche dealer here has gone low profile on 911's - just to order now but good allocations & quick build slots - not that long ago they had a continuous flow of stock in 6 popular colours. Now their business totally dominated by panamera & cayenne - sold 2,500 units last year ! I think the largest single P-dealer in the world but they're losing their good sportscar mechanics to the indies.

Does anyone know if 997 GTS's were delivered new to NZ ? A friend in UK is thinking of selling his - they're a nice spec with WB but not a lot cheaper than a GT3 which seems more logical at that price point.

Getting distracted with a multi-P.car strategy
Old 11-29-2013, 02:20 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JenSP

Does anyone know if 997 GTS's were delivered new to NZ ? A friend in UK is thinking of selling his - they're a nice spec with WB but not a lot cheaper than a GT3 which seems more logical at that price point.

There's a nice NZ new one for sale here at the moment. From what I've heard they are very different than the standard 2S - bit like the Cayman R vs S.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=664510166
Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nice looking car - if it was the mirror image of my LHD (varioram with black interior) I might have pulled the trigger when advertised several months ago (subject to PPI). How reliable is carjam info ? just looking at the summary says this car is blue .......

I looked at an identically coloured C2S in the UK earlier in the year - silver on light gray - both great on their own but for me not an ideal combo and quite unusual spec, with most silver's having a darker contrast interior.

In pics I quite like Amethyst but never seen that colour in the flesh - probably not for everyone.
I thought people preferred the non-variorams over the variorams??
Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

These GT3's do look the business - apparently 2 already delivered here but don't know who to - really keen to see one up close.

Sadly the porsche dealer here has gone low profile on 911's - just to order now but good allocations & quick build slots - not that long ago they had a continuous flow of stock in 6 popular colours. Now their business totally dominated by panamera & cayenne - sold 2,500 units last year ! I think the largest single P-dealer in the world but they're losing their good sportscar mechanics to the indies.

Hi JenSP. Finding your ideal colour combo varioram in NZ may never happen mate. There were 125 new 993s sold in NZ around 60% for manual and of the 125 only around 35 manual vario-rams exist.The cars come up so infrequently in 6spd with good provenance and modest Kms these days that in honestly even if you dont like the interior colour you jst live with it. I agree black interior would be better with Polar exterior as both colours are a bit light together, but black front and rear seats are easy and cheap to acquires second hand with black overmatts could make it look quite acceptable inside.

There are a few 997.2 GTS in New Zealand. I know of three myself but suspect around 10 in total. Great cars as they had the wider body, fancier wheels, X51 power pack etc and fully loaded. Almost like a SportClasssic really. They will be the 993C4S of he future I suspect...

In terms of 991 GT3 indeed you are correct. Two in Dubai the second one arrived 48 hours ago both air lifted in by owners, first owner a 26 year old arab! Apparently 30 in total on UAE allocation. The bulk start arriving by boat late next month. Heres teh second one arriving off the aircraft! Both are white.

Also heres a few more from our Monaco friend taking a drive last night (yesterday) along the D2 North of Vence (near Nice). Its one of the roads on my itinerary...
Attached Images    
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I thought people preferred the non-variorams over the variorams??
Hi Paul its one of those debates divided by opinion. The performance stats dont differ much between them. The non-varioram models were closer to the original published weight of 1370kg than the later vario-rams and from my driving experience the benefits were more low down torque, which is useful in 2/3rd gears on the street but not particularly noticeable on the track.

Where the benefits of the earlier Nonvarioram NZ engines kick in is later in life when maintaining and modifying the engine. The early cars can easily be chipped (most of the varioram cars had a soldered in chip so need new ECU). The very early cars had 964 cam sprokets making backdating to solid lifters for high RPM/HP applications a cinch. Early NZ cars were CAT DELETE M150 (dirty fuell) option which made them breath a bit freer and sound a little fruitier - also makes modifications of exhaust and X-over a breeze as no lambda/O2 sensors and emissions testing exempt. M150 option was a Motorsport option used for the factory Cup Cars so alos included Vitton gaskets (to handle leaded fuel) much better durability.

At the end of the day although its desirable to find a varioram car as time goes on its probably the least important aspect for most and if you are in the habit of playing with your mods then infact it may be a detriment.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?