Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

For those of you lurking and wondering what it's like at our Rennsport Gruppe outings, check out how clear the track is for our runs

Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
If I'm caught without a 911 for a time, I will likely turn up to take it all in. .
So the C2 is sold??
Old 12-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gents we drove a very special road today favoured by sports bikers in the region. It was a Sunday so quiet. Temps were generally good even though altitude was reasonably high, however some damp and slippery patches in the shade. Ill post some video soon - its a reasonably quick drive but o had the wife in the car so not 10/10th by any means. Had a "woopsy" moment (double correction rear end slid out on damp surfaces) but it was my third time hitting a patch of slippery road and the wife "tapped out" big time so the fun had to end there for a little while Im afraid. Shes a brave girl my lass! That said the car is incredibly stable and Im starting to really get a feel of the chassis under brakes and speed. Lots of front end grip, superb chassis balance and control and bets yet I have no idea that there are electronics going on...

Just to confirm. I was told by another soon to be GT3 owner that the ESC was prety leanient and gave around 1+m of slippage before coming on. Interestingly I hadnt got in on until today when I hit some damp bits of roads with a bit of pace. Had it on three times and its the first time ove seen it on since delivery of the car. I would agree that its very leanient and need about 0.5-1m of slip before it will engage - which makes this a much more fun driving car than I was expecting. The only car Ive owned with ESC was a 2000 MY BMW e39 M5 and the damn system cut in all the time....

Heres a teaser....
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Gents - enjoy this video - one of many shot today and proof that they actually fitted TRACTION CONTROL to my GT3 (I was wondering for days if they had!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgKvx...ature=youtu.be

Please could someone embed this for me as I cant seem to work out how?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:00 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Gents - enjoy this video - one of many shot today and proof that they actually fitted TRACTION CONTROL to my GT3 (I was wondering for days if they had!). Please could someone embed this for me as I cant seem to work out how?
Here you go:

Good to hear it's lenient when it comes to traction control. Is it easily switched on or off (i.e. like mine via the PSM switch, next to Sport Mode)?

Your travel companions patience while you learn to drive the GT3 should be commended, although from all the videos on her YouTube account you'd think she was a huge Porsche fan!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Great Vid Macca, love the slip and correction. PDK and two hands on the wheel all looks in control to me.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes she's a good girl! I had to cut the video early cause she was cursing! The car tracked straight ahead after teh correction and 10 minutes later we were able to resume the programme albiet at a slightly slower pace. Its why I prefer to drive fast alone. That said Joanna was navigator for 5 days on the Targa Tour last year where we were travelling similar speeds for almost 1000km. That said on one part of the attached video we hit 143kmph. You wouldnt know it. The 993 would be a full work out going even close to the speeds we travelled on that road today which was with 3 weeks worth of luggage, two people and full tank of gas. I dont know what they will come up with next but I think I wont be buying it as it may take me 13 years to learn to drive this one to its/my limit like it did the 993!

Yes ESC and TC easily switched off by button on centre console. That said it needs alot of provocation to actually come on at all so can probably be left on until the race track or in summer when the roads are without ice....by the way that pass in the video was designated snow tyres only from 30 November till 14 Dec according to warning signs my wife kept pointing out!

I have more videos some you will all love Ill put put up later. One particularly fast stretch which is a bit eye watering (the road is legal 90kmph through a small village and its actually harder to go faster than that as the roads are tight and the house walls actually finish on the road - its like the Isle of Mann TT!). Gotta love the Italians tho - they all hand out and give you the thumbs up when you pass!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
So the C2 is sold??
No, looking for a new owner within the inner circle first before offering to the market. Might join the P club again and offer it up there as well. The trademe thing is tiresome. Plenty of time, any potential new build is 12 months delivery.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
No, looking for a new owner within the inner circle first before offering to the market. Might join the P club again and offer it up there as well. The trademe thing is tiresome. Plenty of time, any potential new build is 12 months delivery.
I understand the reluctance to track it in the meantime, but not sure I could go that long between drives. Remember the team if you decide to revert to as bought. Hint hint.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Lines look good and consistent in your footage John. Lovely weather.

Its interesting to listen to your aircooled footage then the GT3 footage on this page for the difference.

Next time Im on track in NZ will be SITT and really looking forward to that. In the meantime Ill try for Monza and take a few afternoons by myself to explore the GT3 on the back roads of Italy and Nice (Route Napoleon, D2 and others).
Old 12-15-2013, 05:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Lines look good and consistent in your footage John. Lovely weather. Its interesting to listen to your aircooled footage then the GT3 footage on this page for the difference. Next time Im on track in NZ will be SITT and really looking forward to that. In the meantime Ill try for Monza and take a few afternoons by myself to explore the GT3 on the back roads of Italy and Nice (Route Napoleon, D2 and others).
Need to get my second seat then take Steve out for more work. Getting confident with 2,3,8 and 9. As with Manfield I seem to be more advanced at the slower corners than on the big cojones ones. My favorite is 2 and 3, trying to keep my foot in when my instinct is to back off.

Yes, a very different note between the cars. The 964 is lower revving which may be part of it. Still a place for both. It's a broad church!

10 years ago we stayed in a 17th century house in Chateauneuf-Grasse. A lot of great roads around there. D3 was memorable. Saint Paul de Vence for the art. Lunch at the Eagles Nest.

Keep on posting. Btw what settings are you using on the GoPro?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another place we visited was the Musee de l'automobiliste in Mougins. Great Ferrari collection. However a web seat indicates it may have closed due to a leaky building. A pity as there were some very rare cars there, including F1.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes true. I only used 6.5-7k rpm on the clip. Honestly apart from the race track cant see how I can use 9000. The engine is mad. But I still like the 964/993 sound. They are different but both very pleasurable at the top end.

You have 2 & three nicely lined up. Very smooth. The corkscrew Ray taught me to over shoot a bit further than you are and turn in harder, not riding close to the inside edge around the corner quite so much. I think you are looking good overall. I need to try Steves line you are using on the sweeper if I make it back to HD in 2014.

Yes looking forward to France. Based in Nice have lots of EVO recommended driving roads lined up plus a catch up with some car nuts in Monaco.

Gopro I run at 1080 x 48 frps on Medium lens view using harness bar mount with remote wifi activation from keychain. I trued Narrow lens view in earlier GT3 video as well as wide and both not quite right so Medium seems to capture the best of both worlds. GoPro is way to fiddly for my liking. I have 3 spare batteries and a few cards on hand as the wifi seems to eat the batteries. What I need is a simple magnetically mounted waterproofed case unit that does everything single touch with decent battery - like the Performance Box but for a camera. Ive seen a few products out there that may do it but havent explored. GoPro has flexibility but is too fiddly for tech Luddites like me....
Old 12-15-2013, 06:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Agree, very nice pictures from the Hero3 Black edition but frustrating with the menu structure and resource management. I think I got
1 hour out of a 16gb card and it took almost that to get to HD so had to dump the contents onto my laptop which was not quick. Wifi worked if the connection didn't go to sleep. I think I will use the gopro app next time as it also gives a preview.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris M. Fire extinguishers are sold by Andy Culpin at Race FX. His premises are at Hampton Downs. Phone +64 21 172 6345. Cost for mine was $140 with extinguisher. I suggest you call rather than text. Andy is old school. Another option is to ask Peter if he sold his with the C4.

Last edited by John McM; 12-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?