Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:30 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
New video on Autostrada from earlier in the week 100-200kmph+. Had just hit the 500km break in mark now time for italian tune up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXrP8...ature=youtu.be Enjoy!
Great videos. This one is giving an error when I click through, may be my iPad? The shift time of the PDK is impressive!
Old 12-14-2013, 05:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Great videos. This one is giving an error when I click through, may be my iPad? The shift time of the PDK is impressive!
Same here on my iPad. An error occurred during validation.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater View Post
Same on MacBook Air
Old 12-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Bit of detective work, look at the last ones and then click on Jo's name icon to view more videos of that guy in the GT3. Lucky b'stard.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously impressive!

Macca, have you thought about sneaking along to a local track day and scaring the natives?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
We were wondering where you were fatherhood wise. Good luck. BTW The old wife's tale works i.e. The activity that started this, also brings on delivery.....
Thanks for the tip, too damn hot at the moment for those kind of shenanigans though!

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I think it arrives on Friday? It takes 7-8 days at the mo with ferry issues and Xmas peaks.
Hope it arrives in time for Christmas -- I think the best presents are usually the ones you buy for yourself

Good luck with baba. Make sure you get lots of rest and sleep now as you have no idea what you are in for........
Yeah, I've been trying to bank the sleep -- I'm going to miss my 10 hours uninterrupted!

So porscha if a girl and Ferdinand if a boy??
Ha ha, not if my partner has anything to do with it!

Originally Posted by Macca
Michael, will be thinking of you over the coming days and hope all goes well!
Thanks very much, I appreciate it. I'm loving the updates of your trip -- keep them coming... In a couple of weeks Rennlist might be the only link to my old life left!

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Don't wan't to scare you or anything.... but we were 14 days late... twice!
Oh man, that's not what I want to hear. For a start, I don't want to have to go back to work this week...

Could have got to the track if you'd been brave!
I think maybe "suicidal", rather than "brave"?

And by Puke in Jan you'll be falling asleep by the esses!
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that. I'll have to see how much sleep I'm getting at the time. Don't want to be a hazard.

Now back to the regular programme of Porsche goodness...
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXrP8MtjYjs Seriously impressive! Macca, have you thought about sneaking along to a local track day and scaring the natives?
Yes, seriously impressive. Jo seems to hide her excitement well! A similar look came from my wife when I suggested the family go the the festival of speed weekend. May have to poll the Gruppe to see who wants to attend as a spectator. I think we get 4 free tickets.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 PM
mikee6421
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Porsche collector in Kohimarama, Auckland

[QUOTE=John McM;10976617]It belongs to another Kohj Porsche collector. 993 Carrera and 993 TT in his garage. He visits this site so I'll let him introduce himself. No he didn't run, just came for a look.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warm welcome by the Rennsport Gruppe at Hampton Downs Raceway on Saturday. Awesome to see so many enjoying their cars as they are meant to be used! Photos are great.

I have a couple of 993s, one a '96 biturbo and the other a '94 Carrera, both in Polar Silver.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Mike, always good to see another Porsche tragic (not a pejorative term). Maybe bring a car out next time and have a go? No-one forces the pace and we respect the various levels of comfort.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=mikee6421;10978499]
Originally Posted by John McM
It belongs to another Kohj Porsche collector. 993 Carrera and 993 TT in his garage. He visits this site so I'll let him introduce himself. No he didn't run, just came for a look.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warm welcome by the Rennsport Gruppe at Hampton Downs Raceway on Saturday. Awesome to see so many enjoying their cars as they are meant to be used! Photos are great.

I have a couple of 993s, one a '96 biturbo and the other a '94 Carrera, both in Polar Silver.

Cheers,
Mike
TWO 993's - you need to post a garage photo
Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why your power would be down. How hot can it be there today? 28? Its not a turbo engine so losses due to temp would be no more than 7-8 hp (~3%) I should think. Maybe its tyres and brakes going off over time.
I'm no car technician but it was smoking hot at HD yesterday and it was definitely hurting the hp. I'd say even if the ambient was around 27, the track temp would have been maybe 32 or more. To bore you with a bit of aviation background the density altitude goes up about 120ft for every degree above 15C, so assuming 32 (I reckon it may have been hotter) so 2040ft (I think Hampton is not much above sea level). Add to that the humidity (didn't think it was particular sticky) say, 80%, using the rule of thumb from aviation of 100ft for every 10% relative humidity above 40% that's another 400ft, so mane 2440ft DA.
IIRC correctly a piston engine (haven't flown one for 11 years) loses about 3.5% of its power for every 100' of DA so a total of 8.75%. Thus John's 250hp engine on Saturday at a DA of 2500' would be losing around 22hp. Maybe it was even hotter on the track?? Combine this power loss with brakes and tyres going off, and I could believe the slowing lap times being an environmental issue (not to mention the driver in the furnace).
I thought one of the advantages of Turbos was they maintain sea level manifold pressure even at high DA's. If the waste gate is opening it is providing the same boost as at DA zero. The old Sioux I used to fly (like MASH) had a dual Manifold Pressure gauge, one each before and after the waste gate, so you could see as you climbed, if you were ever in danger of the needles coming together, and thus running into limited power. The problem with Turbos is getting rid of all that generated heat on a hot day. But there should be no problem with providing boost until the turbocharger reached its physical limit. Unless I',m mistaken??
Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great to see the 993 owners brigade finally rising in numbers to comparable levels of the 964! With Mikes two, Bobs two, Paul, Myself, Jamie, Spokes & David I think we are now equal - difference being Im the only 993 that I see on the track! Hopefully we can fix that....

Yes in terms of track work I am trying to book a session at Monza. Trouble is I need a race suit & helmet. Didnt pack for or anticipate that! Also having to juggle tourist stuff. Spent yesterday in Portofino - very nice. Today heading to village of Cinque Terra for walking trails. Good news is I have planned an excellent driving route to get there! I have also spied anther incredible twisty narrow hill pass road which is 50km return which I will do alone in a few days time. Looks like alotta fun.

Ive always dreamt of shipping the 993 over here for a few classic rally's. As soon as she qualifies on age Im going to do it - the roads, scenery food etc is just fantastic. Ive traveled Europe a number of times and each time I just fall more in love. Its not cheap to do (you could buy Daves 964 for the cost of this trip) but if you every get a chance (especially you younger guys) then jump on it - its almost worth being Porsche less for a year or two to make it happen!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Scott Bain may bring his 993 on the 11th. He also said in passing that he has a spare 993 6 speed box under his house.....
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John, just wanted to so thank you very much on two fronts. One for being so tragic you're checking this site on your phone at Hampton Downs and so saw my distress signal and secondly, for letting me drive your C4. Very much enjoyed the drive, and like you say, it is set up very nicely now. The tyres make an enormous difference and it looks the ducks guts too.
And thanks too for bringing your neighbour Trundle. Turns out he was a fighter pilot at Ohakea when I was a toddler and he knew my old man. As you say a real gentleman, and a bonus he might be a buyer for Mr Black.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jason. I guess that why turbines are better in Vanuatu. Temps range 25-37 during the day winter to summer and RH is 78-98 summer to winter.

I still dont agree that Johns power loss is a direct function of climate temperature. Ive just cast an eye at related HD lap data for drivers in the old Bridgestone/New Hankook series across all months of summer and there is little difference in best lap time between each end and the middle of the season. Even an 8% loss of power shouldn't be costing 4 seconds a lap at HD. I believe the loss is probably less as we are talking IAT numbers here to be more accurate. John didnt experience issues with tyres or brakes so lets rule that out for a second. Its also not the first time he has noticed power drops on warmish days - but lets face it folks these arent overally hot days by global terms. REadi g the 993 track boys threads in the USA many states get similar or higher temps during their summer sessions but I dont read about such massive drops in performance either....

When I hear stories like Johns I think back to my Dyno experiences. Sure even with modern fuel injection and MAP sensors you cant fool physics (i.e. gas partical density at temperature) but fundamentally it does come down to heat management (Intake Air Temp) and if you can help control this you can help control the losses. With an aircooled car this can be even more important.

Im just wondering John if your duck tail is failing to help your IATs at airbox on hot days? This could help explain he situation unless others are also experiencing such big changes in their lap times between morning and afternoon sessions. Also fuel quality (I assume you are running 98) and your plugs could all be part of the equations. My pick is your airbox is getting heat saturation through the twisties and your ducktail isnt directing fresh air flow in the manner the factory attended over your intake manifold and airbox....just a hunch.

Handy to know there is a spare 6 speed box kicking around!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?