Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:51 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers gents. The striping needs to
come off it but it's definitely a straight and tidy car. I think the sound is going to be the best part of it though. Won't be as good as Maccas or Matts cars but should be evil all the same.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug you will love this. This is the first 10km of my 95km course today. Type in Rapallo as start and Bobbio as finish to see what 95Km of very twisty valley passes look like. Key challenges will be narrowness of road, changing surface conditions and oncoming traffic. Of least concern will be speed limits (the roads are mainly 50-70 up here) as the Italians it would seem celebrate flouting the rules! My kinda place!
OMG that looks like it will be fun all right!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry guys a repost from the 991 GT3 board as Im tired and hungry (and lazy!). Much more to follow including a could of videos I think you will find interesting....in terms of sheer pace driven at 60-70% its well beyond my 993 at 100% on tarmac. It actually quite surreal driving it after owning an old skool aircooled so long. Its three gens on from anything I have had decent seat time in and it feels like a it may was well be a F458 or Special its so distant in its handling and capability. Its bloody fun with that engine and those paddles (still learning those - sometimes when pushing on had a moment brain fart and forgot which was up and down LOL!). I reckon the track and Targa are the only places you can go above 70% with it. Id not idea what it would do at HD well driven but I suspect 1.10 - definitely in the 997.2 Cup car territory which is quite crazy when you consider its a heavy road car with production street tyres....I just need to survive the Italian poverty spec black top and made Italian drivers on needle eye narrow roads to find out LOL!

"Gents. Been a long day. Only 250km covered but they were very fast windy km! The road from Rapallo to Bobbio is quite outrageous, narrow, very windy, poorly paved in places and by US standards incredible skinny. That said the 991 GT3 acquitted itself with aplomb. I drove at 70% of the speed I would do on a tarmac rally in the 993 at 100% and the 991 GT3 was quicker, safer and better planted. I have an hour of footage which I will try and get some onto youtube this weekend.

Im a bit exhausted and about to go out to dinner so Ill eave the long version for later. The short version and observations are this-

1). PDKS-Manual is by far the most fun and responsive manner to drive the new 991 GT3

2). Without PDK the 991 GT3 would not be safe to drive in extreme conditions such as slick surfaces, ice, now and frost. You cannot get power down as smoothly with a manual gearbox compared to a PDK-S and today through a variety of conditions I demonstrated to myself that the new GT3 is very safe in tricky conditions when pressing on as it transitions power from throttle to wheels so progressively. This is probably more of real world fast road and DD benefit.

3). The front end of this car is the huge improvement. It grips and grips. No oversteer I could determine today. Front tyre pressures after hard driving were highest yet (2.3 bar vs 1.8-1.9 cold) and not once did we have a whoopsy moment. When you see some of the video you will see I wasnt hanging around either given narrow unknown roads with a steering wheel on the wrong side and surfaces ranging from broken permafrost damaged to wet with some frost to dry and flat. Temps ranged from 14 Celcius down to 3 Celcius over 100km driving into the mountain passes. Nill traffic just once in a lifetime drive!

4). I now have some scraped on the front spoiler lip! Its no longer a Virgin! Would front lift have prevented these? Amazingly I did touch the front lip getting into or out of a driveway yet nor even a cobbled stone roman narrow street with horrible camber. It happens when pushing on fast (100+ kmph) over badly broken tarmac. Once was a pothole/mancover type thing I couldnt avoid and the second was a really badly broken piece of tarmac witch almost got me airborn (couldnt see it in time!). Either way very very small grazes underneath and the lip is very thick and strong. You cant see the damage and it didnt touch the white plastic panel behind. I didnt even hear it happen on the second time. I can say for sure if you drive this thing hard on the backroads you will find its just part of life. I suspect the front brake cooling ducts will need replacing regularly but the front lip hardly every as its pretty robust and clips into place.

Anyway heres a few pictures of the dirty girl. almost 600 miles now and tomorrow she will have her first bath! The wheels have brake dust everywhere!

In closing, I would day any of you with the 991 GT3 on order will be very very happy with your purchase. This car is so complete and so competent I really dont know where to start. I will get it all down tomorrow in detail for you!

Heres a few pics. First ones are 20km into the journey. Next ones are 75km into the journey! last ones are 95Km into the journey (Bobbio) before turning around and doing it all again! 3+ hours seat time - some of the best driving moments Ive had since Targa New Zealand! Shes is sure dirty now (wheels are almost black!) and Im sure exhausted so having an early one..."
Attached Images           
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Some tourist snaps....
Attached Images           
Old 12-13-2013, 02:48 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Macca, great shots and inspiring updates. I'm almost more envious of the roads you're driving than the car. I also think yours is the dirtiest example of the car on the internet, which is something to be proud of. It's sad to think of all the orders being shipped to garage tombs where they will slowly age, never pushed to or near the limit, never driven like they're supposed to be driven.

Is really interesting reading your comments regarding PDK, and will be more so when you get a chance to take the 993 out for a spin after familiarizing yourself with the GT3.

Keep the pics and updates coming, drive safe, and enjoy!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone at HDs is looking at this can you gimme a call 0h two 7 4466 454. Engine problems.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Macca, great shots and inspiring updates. I'm almost more envious of the roads you're driving than the car. I also think yours is the dirtiest example of the car on the internet, which is something to be proud of. It's sad to think of all the orders being shipped to garage tombs where they will slowly age, never pushed to or near the limit, never driven like they're supposed to be driven.

Is really interesting reading your comments regarding PDK, and will be more so when you get a chance to take the 993 out for a spin after familiarizing yourself with the GT3.

Keep the pics and updates coming, drive safe, and enjoy!
Amen! Car has done almost 1000km now and never had a bath since delivery from the factory. Tomorrows job! Porsche techs said regards running it in "take it easy for the first 3-400km (due to new tyres as well as fluids) then just drive it". Italian tune up!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Another brilliant day at HD
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Heres one of my tunnel clips. Gives you an idea what it sounds like in the car windows up at 9000rpm. Notice wife hands as air brakes! That guaranteed no participation in drive today video to show soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCf39...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Love the air brakes!

To those at HD this morning; did the 7 of you (or is it 6?) have the track to yourselves, or are there others using as well? Beautiful lineup of cars!!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Heres one of my tunnel clips. Gives you an idea what it sounds like in the car windows up at 9000rpm. Notice wife hands as air brakes! That guaranteed no participation in drive today video to show soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCf39...ature=youtu.be
Love the posts mate and Jo's a laugh with the hands

Went for a drive over the Rimitaka's to the Wairarapa on Thursday for our 15th wedding anniversary and Annette's so lovely.... "if you wanna go fast hun I'll just close my eye's". She gets car sick over the Taka's especially if I push it. The things our girls put up with

GT3 sounds sublime!
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2013, 11:47 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great day on the track, gang!
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Love the air brakes!

To those at HD this morning; did the 7 of you (or is it 6?) have the track to yourselves, or are there others using as well? Beautiful lineup of cars!!
No that was an early shot before most had turned up. Brilliant day for checking out the machinery - 3 x 964 turbos, 2 996 turbos and a 993 turbo turned up as well for a look. Plus the usual 964's 944's, GT3 and Doug's boxster which was the pick of the day when driven with the top down.

Tough day on the cars - one didn't make it past Mercer, another did a head gasket and many had brake issues, me included. It was HOT. (and one AWOL)

No doubt John will post pics of the convoy down once edited. Should be some impressive footage of the turbos spread across 3 lanes and flying in formation.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm spoilt for choice in pics. Will have a short rest before tackling the video etc. Here's a taster of some pics I took on the iPhone.
Attached Images           
Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Who's is the 993t? Did this see the track??

John - what did your 964T lap in?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?