Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks Pete (I think)!

So, talking on Sunday a few of us were keen to get an earlier start, still get a decent length drive, but try to keep the afternoon free for family (Christmas shopping?) commitments.

So, the current plan is meet at smales farm car park at 8am (yikes you say) and depart there at 8.15am for a sweet run around B roads north of Auckland before a lunch at 12.30 ish.

I'm working on the route and we can decide where to end up once I've got that sorted.

So far we have (I may have missed someone):

Pete
Macca
Phil
Paul
Doug
Dave
Chris

John (for the lunch part, unless we can twist your arm to sneak off early)?

Post here for anyone missed out or if you can't do the early start.
Works for me, thanks Doug.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 AM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Works for me, thanks Doug.
Cheers Doug
Had lunch at Hallertau last Thursday (again) a very good place to go, but undergoing refit at present
great food, excellent beer..
would be a good place to end at if pos..
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Sounds super. Cant wait!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 PM
mjg
Pro

I'm in for cruise/lunch/beers.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Musch regret (again) unble to join you for a spin and lunch; off overseas again for next couple of weekends. If Hallertau is being renovated, the Riverhead Tavern is another excellent option.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm all but there for Sunday. Have to move a couple of things but outlook is good!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:18 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

We will forever be debating the pro's and con's of various go faster mods and/or purchase of cars for this hobby/obsession of ours. In 427 pages of discussion in this sequence there have been a lot of good views expressed on the best way forward. We seem to also traverse similar topics - maybe between different ppl though - so maybe a summary of knowledge and opinion so far might be useful. Feel free to add to it. I am just stating a few things that come to mind.
1) If the objective is to go fast buy the latest machinery for the budget - you can't get better value for money than the development spend of the factory
2) General purpose or race car? Most ppl start out with a road car and make some mods but at some point the 'fit for purpose race car' makes better sense. The trick is to identify this early enough make the switch and be done with it so that scarce $ can be spent wisely. The trouble is it sort of creeps up on all of us and because cars are an emotive thing we often can't identify the timing and there is a lot of 'investment' already in the modded road car.
3) Older cars. The enduring and growing appeal of the older cars is just getting greater and the Magnus phenomenon and rgruppe growth has exploded the myth of value only in numbers matching factory original older cars. Granted older modded cars are never going to be as collectable, and therefore valuable in terms of top $ but then most collectors don't actually drive their cars. It is still supply and demand though, so value is mostly capped by the cost to build. The value difference between and backdated long bonnet and an original shell will keep widening as the supply of T and E models shortens and demand increases. The 'classic' thing is more about the emotion and feel of an older 'classic' and for this reason far fewer ppl will race these unless its a back date shell and more easily replaced.
4) If point 2 above doesn't apply then that is because the obsession can be kept under control as a 'hobby' and a multi use daily driver is genuinely the car that is fit for purpose.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:37 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
We will forever be debating the pro's and con's of various go faster mods and/or purchase of cars for this hobby/obsession of ours. In 427 pages of discussion in this sequence there have been a lot of good views expressed on the best way forward. We seem to also traverse similar topics - maybe between different ppl though - so maybe a summary of knowledge and opinion so far might be useful. Feel free to add to it. I am just stating a few things that come to mind.
1) If the objective is to go fast buy the latest machinery for the budget - you can't get better value for money than the development spend of the factory
2) General purpose or race car? Most ppl start out with a road car and make some mods but at some point the 'fit for purpose race car' makes better sense. The trick is to identify this early enough make the switch and be done with it so that scarce $ can be spent wisely. The trouble is it sort of creeps up on all of us and because cars are an emotive thing we often can't identify the timing and there is a lot of 'investment' already in the modded road car.
3) Older cars. The enduring and growing appeal of the older cars is just getting greater and the Magnus phenomenon and rgruppe growth has exploded the myth of value only in numbers matching factory original older cars. Granted older modded cars are never going to be as collectable, and therefore valuable in terms of top $ but then most collectors don't actually drive their cars. It is still supply and demand though, so value is mostly capped by the cost to build. The value difference between and backdated long bonnet and an original shell will keep widening as the supply of T and E models shortens and demand increases. The 'classic' thing is more about the emotion and feel of an older 'classic' and for this reason far fewer ppl will race these unless its a back date shell and more easily replaced.
4) If point 2 above doesn't apply then that is because the obsession can be kept under control as a 'hobby' and a multi use daily driver is genuinely the car that is fit for purpose.
Well said.

I assume you meant to say back dated short hood (or 'impact bumper' car as the slang goes).
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme,

That's a good synopsis but Id like to add a few discussion points if I may.

Other defining factors for determining the angle of approach are lifestyle, disposable income and prior experience. Overlying those the is the Individual.

If you are the creative type and have the time and income to build "your perfect car" from scratch it is incredibly satisfying (though there will be plenty of expensive and painful moments along the way). I think of cars created by Magnus Walker and that Jack Olsen video I posted a week ago with the bespoke garage and the car that can be quickly set of for road or track.

Your personality and lifestyle will play a large part on whether you are comfortable with "multiple cars for multiple uses". Having been there along with a few others here I can hand on heart say that of you are a Virgo type personality this can be painful keeping every one of them in fine fettle and perfect - can be a big drag on your time. There are also resources to consider. Keeping 3-4 cars constantly WOF, Rego. serviced and street worthy can be costly. Especially P-cars.

Generational differences. Most of us here grew up with cars that had electric steering and power windows probably even air con. The old cars look lovely. They probably appeal to the baby boomers and this is being proven my the spike in demand today. The absolute reality of the situation is many younger folk would not have the patience to own these cars or would find perhaps they did not live up to the hype. Many cars IMHO dont live up to the hype I have found. You only find this out by owning them. You also have to have a strong opinion to fly in the face of popular views. A good personal example is the Audi/Porsche RS2. Those that know me know I wasnt overly impressed with this car and moved it on after 18 months. I had a eureka moment yesterday when i ready a column in EVO magazine from regular contributor Dario Franchetti who recalled how disappointed he was in the RS2 for exactly the same reasons I've been harping on to those who will listen for years. However if you listen to the rheumy eyed journos youd be thinking something different. For its moment in time it was unique and it sure does look cool (and has a special place in Porsche/Audi history). But it was never a good drivers car IMO and was a pig around town. Interestingly I found my time with he 993RS very underwhelming. I think again the hype had got to me and I was expecting something far and away different from my then lightly modified C2. On the city streets the C2 was superior as it was on the open road (The RS was very noisy and jumped around alot). the 993RS wasnt much quicker than the C2 either - hardly noticeable in real life. On a fast weekend fang or a track the 993RS was he superior car but at the time I didnt do any track work and fast road drives were very few and far between (too much time at work and keeping three P cars on the road LOL!). I spent a few hours driving an original & stocks 964RS around the streets of Auckland too and a quick blast to Piha and back. Verdict? That thing wanted to kill anyone that drove it on NZ B roads - its skipped and hopped all over the road and dartd lefft and right - you really had to have both hands on the wheel, not a particularly pleasant car to drive but Im sure with some modern shocks and geo it would have been better. Again a halo car. But is it really? I suspect those paying big $$$ for them now, even if they were a bit dissapointed by the car once they drove it probably wont say anything to upset the myth. I guess theres plenty who covert these cars but have never owned them to understand really what they are about. Mostly today compared to other offerings the money would bring the differences are subtle and for 6 figures sums could be a little underwhelming. If you want to start a museum however these are great places to start.

Lastly something Graeme touched on. Im yet to test this as Ive never owned a Porsche that's newer than 5-6 years old (one generation), but I suspect the best was to go fast reliably with as little unexpected financial drag as possible is to buy a new or near new performance car and benefit form all of the latest technology. Cars like the 991 GT3 today are built to cover all bases much better than previously - from DD to fast road and track cars like the new M4, the 1M, the GT3 et al are built out of the box to give most things to most people. If you can only have one car and you have the budget for a 1-2 year old used example or an ex UK import I think there could be much value in clearing the garage and simplifying life this way. Of course I cant tell you if I believe this till I try so I guess its watch this space really. However for someone who has limited space, time and resources to keep 3-4 oldish cars and live with their invariable follies and compromises and just wants to spend their time and money driving and doing car related activities this could also be a path to Nirvana. I quote guys like Ron here. He has the wherewithal to easily buy any one or many of the desirable classics we mention. Ive asked him about this and although he loves those cars they dont work for him. He want the car to jump in and drive the T*ts off every weekend, every traga tour and as many track days as he can. if it gets dented then so what? They still make them go out and buy another with the insurance cheque etc? Its an interesting philosophy. You dont need to be rich either as many on this forum I know could sell their current "fleet" and buy a single example of what Im talking about thats 1-3 years old and give it a try. I remember years ago talking with Ray Barker about if he missed any of the great cars he (bought new). cars like 993RS, 2.7RS (that wasnt new) RS2 (my old red one) etc. Hes said tehy were all great cars and he enjoyed drivng every one of them but taht the nxt car he bought was often better and he enjoyed driving taht and that for where he was in life his (VW W8 at the time) was also the best car hed ever owned.....go figure.

My big point here is that we are all on different parts of this journey - some have clearer ideas than others on what they want, some are just starting, some have very developed tastes and requirements. In order to know you have to go through a process. And remember there's alot of hype about cars that often is repeated plagarism and you wont really know till you try it. The other things is very few people are truly honest and unbiased about the car they own. Most will tell you all the good points not the bad ones so its sometimes difficult to see the wood from the trees...mostkly though I think until you know what you want try as many things as you can while you can before (or after) the kids arrive and the mortgage becomes mid 6 figures and you start to get grey pubic hair.

Nuff said.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Wise words indeed. Re point 2 the tendency is to develop those mods well past the point of economy - by then its too late!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 PM
shiraz
Racer

Hi, have started looking at radar/laser detectors on TM Listing #: 666480321, Listing #: 664492416. & others. what do you use/recommend? Cheers
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a Passport 8500 CI Plus installed recently, $1600 all up. It has paid for itself more than once. Highly recommended. If you're in Auckland I can give you the number of the guy who did mine.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I have a V1 I change between cars and the 996TT has an installed Bel with laser jammer. Both have saved me over the years but truth be told I now find driving style more use than detectors as the fuzz have got more adept at springing up on you e.g. coming in from HD I check every on ramp I go past as they sit and wait for the ambush. They also use instant on and laser. The days of a lazy cop sitting with his radar on all day are gone. Sit at 109km/hr using the GPS for speed (indicated 117km on my cars) and you will generally be fine.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Shiraz. Although the V1 looks clunky and is designed for LHD viewing angle it has in my experience proven to be the most durable and reliable unit (especially when left on the car in summer where my Bels got faults due to heat). It has a magnesium housing and is built strong and tough and does its one job very well and the range is excellent. Generally speaking I think the V1 was the benchmark and still is for many. I bought mine for $800 new landed from ebay.com - dont listen to the rubbish about them being NZ specific or programmed its coblers and Ill send you the sheet for programming it for NZ bandwidths. Ive had a unit in each car for 13 years (mine is the older unit now) and in that time had only one ticket (the day I forgot to have it in the car!).
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Not advocating breaking the law, but I've had this in my wallet since I first drove my Turbo 3.6. I'm not sure if it's changed but I figure the risk reward is good up until 119/hr. In fact if I got pulled over 109km/hr over Summer I would consider it entertainment wasting the justice systems time for $30.

Fines:
&bull; < 10 km/h = $30
&bull; 10 - 15km/h = $80
&bull; 15 - 20 km/h = $120
&bull; 20 - 25 km/h = $170
&bull; 25 - 30 km/h = $230
&bull; 30 - 35 km/h = $300
&bull; 35 - 40 km/h = $400
&bull; 40 - 45 km/h = $510
&bull; 45 - 50 km/h = $630

Demerits:
&bull; 1 - 10km/h = 10 demerit points;
&bull; 11 - 20km/h = 20 demerit points;
&bull; 21 - 30km/h = 35 demerit points;
&bull; 31 - 35 km/h = 40 demerit points;
&bull; 36km/h and above = 50 demerit points.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?