Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Posi...gwMDMzOS5odG0= now who has some zip ties for the licence plate
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 AM
mjg
Pro

That SR3 has dropped in price a bit. Hoping it stays there, it's my next upgrade step once I start falling back in the pack!

Interesting day at Pukekohe, good weather for the most part, took it very easy as it was my first time at the track and was somewhat nervous about the other traffic. Pete put in a good word for us and we were moved to the race car group, which was much smaller and better behaved. At least 3 cars wrecked in the regular groups (including one hitting another after a full lap of yellow flags?!), pretty chaotic. Not a lot of lap time, got in only 3 short (5ish lap) sessions from 10:30ish until the rain arrived at around 2pm. Nice to get a run and have a look around before the RSG day in January.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im with you 100%. Ive been early with my hand up saying what Ive done to the 993 makes no economic sense at all and if I had all that cash in my hand again today right now Id likely go and buy myself a 997.2 GT3 as a DD, weekend, road, track and Targa car and leave it damn well stock (ok maybe some track wheels/tyres and pads). If I wanted to take my RSG track day hobby further once I had the experience and competitiveness on track and assuming the will to do so I would add a stripped out ex Bridgestone 964 RS/Cup spec to the stable.

As it stands Im already neck deep in it so may as well keep spending away. Its my only real hobby and i have a lack of space and time on the ground to be fiddling around with cars/platforms with unknown history/reliability. That being said I suspect its only 5-8 years away before doing what we are doing with 964 and 993s becomes sacrilegious and the cars become too old/fragile/expensive to maintain and irreplaceable to throw around a track, targa and then use to go to the shops, for many at least.

The next 12 months within RSG will be interesting as some gain skills and move to club racing, others abandon the sport due to time and cost restraints, some get faster and continue to hot rod their daily rides. Its very much an individualist thing. I know what camp Im in LOL!

Id like to go as quickly as I can in my car whilst its still balanced 60% as a road car vs 40% as a track/targa car. Essentially and ultimately Id love to be doing Bridgestone Cat C class leading lap times in my Class B (modified) road car. I find this a challenge both in terms of my own driving skills (three full track days to my name) and my approach to car preparation and set up, improvements and technology (assume with a fairly relaxed budget). Right now Im well on the wrong side of the ledger when it comes to time in the seat so Im having to apply myself to the car side whilst sitting 2500km from the track! I do dream of laps at Manfield some nights tho Jamie. I think I found the lost second there but I dont know when Ill be back to see if I really found it......hopefully next time with you on the track too giving me some clue as to how to nail that sweeper properly!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oh my. That SR3 sounds like alot of fun. 1.09 Manfield! 1.05 HD! I really cant imagine how fast that must seem in real life. I suspect you feel a little exposed in that plastic shell. Im guessing no amount of harness and HANS will be as safe as a three point with standard seats in a 911 at those speeds during an off!

Jason who owns the 997.2gt3RS for sale at CCS currently is thinking something like this as a replacement (probably brand new with plenty of the lastest race extras).
Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I guess if you have deep pockets then you just keep spending
I don't know about the deep pockets, but I do keep spending..........
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Im with you 100%. Ive been early with my hand up saying what Ive done to the 993 makes no economic sense at all and if I had all that cash in my hand again today right now Id likely go and buy myself a 997.2 GT3 as a DD, weekend, road, track and Targa car and leave it damn well stock (ok maybe some track wheels/tyres and pads). If I wanted to take my RSG track day hobby further once I had the experience and competitiveness on track and assuming the will to do so I would add a stripped out ex Bridgestone 964 RS/Cup spec to the stable.

As it stands Im already neck deep in it so may as well keep spending away. Its my only real hobby and i have a lack of space and time on the ground to be fiddling around with cars/platforms with unknown history/reliability. That being said I suspect its only 5-8 years away before doing what we are doing with 964 and 993s becomes sacrilegious and the cars become too old/fragile/expensive to maintain and irreplaceable to throw around a track, targa and then use to go to the shops, for many at least.

The next 12 months within RSG will be interesting as some gain skills and move to club racing, others abandon the sport due to time and cost restraints, some get faster and continue to hot rod their daily rides. Its very much an individualist thing. I know what camp Im in LOL!

Id like to go as quickly as I can in my car whilst its still balanced 60% as a road car vs 40% as a track/targa car. Essentially and ultimately Id love to be doing Bridgestone Cat C class leading lap times in my Class B (modified) road car. I find this a challenge both in terms of my own driving skills (three full track days to my name) and my approach to car preparation and set up, improvements and technology (assume with a fairly relaxed budget). Right now Im well on the wrong side of the ledger when it comes to time in the seat so Im having to apply myself to the car side whilst sitting 2500km from the track! I do dream of laps at Manfield some nights tho Jamie. I think I found the lost second there but I dont know when Ill be back to see if I really found it......hopefully next time with you on the track too giving me some clue as to how to nail that sweeper properly!
Totally agree with your comments there mate. I think for the benefit of others I should clarify that whats suits one may not suit the others.. especially virgo's You can have one guy that's happy with a ex 964 race car and another that wants to build his own and spend more so its how he wants it and simply caus he can!

I'm like you in the sense that I want a road car that doubles as a quick competent track car but in being realistic that it'll never be a 1.13 at Manfield car unless I want to compromise that balance.

The reality is that even at a 1.19 at Manfield with basic mods there's more time to be gained through experience and coaching than modifying the car. I remember Craig Loveridge in his 993 (I think it was even a tipo) running 1.17's on track rubber/pads and little else!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Oh my. That SR3 sounds like alot of fun. 1.09 Manfield! 1.05 HD! I really cant imagine how fast that must seem in real life. I suspect you feel a little exposed in that plastic shell. Im guessing no amount of harness and HANS will be as safe as a three point with standard seats in a 911 at those speeds during an off!

Jason who owns the 997.2gt3RS for sale at CCS currently is thinking something like this as a replacement (probably brand new with plenty of the lastest race extras).
After being in one they feel even faster than you think because of your exposure, closeness to the ground, sensation of speed/acceleration and the sequential change. I've experienced nothing else like it... even on the fast bikes I've ridden.

Next time on the front straight at HD wind your window down and stick your head out... that'll give you an idea (and probably a visit to the chiropractor lol)
Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

LOL! 1.13s at Manfield! Thats 2011 Cup car territory! Im not interested n that for me and the 993.

I knew Craig Loveridge - I bought his 993 RS ARBs when he chucked it all in. I lived with my 993 in WTGN for a couple of years around the time he was racing and I saw his car at my neighbors place (Jon Pottinger) a few times. The car was 6 speed and it had alot of fruit (ARBs, shockies, bushes, pads, race seats, geo, some weight reduction etc). Very well set up (he spent a lot $$$ on it in a fairly short time) and he was a good driver - wasnt he competing class A Bridgestone?

Id say my 993 is good for mid 1.19s at Manfield with me today (lap leding class C times) . However the driver is the weak link as you say. Im still a relatively heavy road car. Mid/ow 1.17s are Class A Manfield territory. Id love to say I think with some experience and tuition Id be matching Kevin Etches in his 964RS at Man-field (1.17s) but alas Jamie it will not be. Ill be very happy to pootle around the late 1.18s and early 1.19s if I ever get another couple of days there to practice...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

LOL! 1.13s at Manfield! Thats 2011 Cup car territory! Im not interested n that for me and the 993.

I knew Craig Loveridge - I bought his 993 RS ARBs when he chucked it all in. I lived with my 993 in WTGN for a couple of years around the time he was racing and I saw his car at my neighbors place (Jon Pottinger) a few times. The car was 6 speed and it had alot of fruit (ARBs, shockies, bushes, pads, race seats, geo, some weight reduction etc). Very well set up (he spent a lot $$$ on it in a fairly short time) and he was a good driver - wasnt he competing class A Bridgestone?

Id say my 993 is good for mid 1.19s at Manfield with me today (lap leding class C times) . However the driver is the weak link as you say. Im still a relatively heavy road car. Mid/ow 1.17s are Class A Manfield territory. Id love to say I think with some experience and tuition Id be matching Kevin Etches in his 964RS at Man-field (1.17s) but alas Jamie it will not be. Ill be very happy to pootle around the late 1.18s and early 1.19s if I ever get another couple of days there to practice...
It was a few years ago and I remember one 993 was a tipo but obviously wasn't his. Was his car silver? I think it was and so was the other 993 tipo with an older guy driving it. I should look through some of my older video's. I wonder what happened to Craigs 993?

As you've said before time here in NZ and seat time is what your challenge is. Wouldn't take you long with regular, consistent track time to get your times down.

When I met Craig his car was fairly standard as was mine and then he went crazy on it, got the track bug I guess and then went to a 964 RS replica http://www.groundsky.co.nz/imagecach...06I07L3893.jpg

Quick check of carjam has that registered as an RS? http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=bmq129

I'm sure he first had a RS spec 964?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Heres a few things going on with the 993 currently which will hopefully have it reliable and dependable for the next outing (SITT)

1). Firmer engine mounts (Wevo with blue inserts). Trying to eliminate engine movement as cause of gearbox 2nd gear issue under load.

2). New "special" redline gearbox oil (no friction modifiers). Same reasons as above

3). Lightweight wheels (watch this space)

4). Turbo+RS Big Brake brembo set up (my stock system is up for sale for anyone interested?). Again watch this space.

5). Front Endless MX72 pads for above package combo'd with new factory standard rear pads in order to address RS rear brake bias.

6). Reduction of "anti squat" through machining of alloy front rear suspension solid mounts. I found there was far too much anti squat in this set up (its designed for RSR and EVO 993 running 450-550 bhp). Essentially it was helping stability turning into corners but robbing me of getting power to teh ground getting out of them. Luckily its an easy job to drop these an have them machines do the front of the suspension frame sits closer to the body of the car reducing tilt or anti squat a bit (less nose up on heavy acceleration).

7). Rear ball jointed Rennline Kinematic toe arms with lockout kit. Finer adjustment with less chance of it "going out" less compliance more feedback.

Not thinking these changes will make huge difference with handling, braking and lap times but just small revisions and some concessions to reliability, durability and longevity.....and something to do!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
It was a few years ago and I remember one 993 was a tipo but obviously wasn't his. Was his car silver? I think it was and so was the other 993 tipo with an older guy driving it. I should look through some of my older video's. I wonder what happened to Craigs 993?

As you've said before time here in NZ and seat time is what your challenge is. Wouldn't take you long with regular, consistent track time to get your times down.

When I met Craig his car was fairly standard as was mine and then he went crazy on it, got the track bug I guess and then went to a 964 RS replica http://www.groundsky.co.nz/imagecach...06I07L3893.jpg

Quick check of carjam has that registered as an RS? http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=bmq129

I'm sure he first had a 964 RS spec?
Yes. His was silver. I think it went to CHCH and got turned into a Motec race car (by the guys down there that had the lodge that got broken during the earthquake and moved to Kapati - forgot his name, builds engines).
Old 10-28-2013, 03:25 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I don't know about the deep pockets, but I do keep spending..........
Heres a few things going on with the 993 currently which will hopefully have it reliable and dependable for the next outing (SITT)

1). Firmer engine mounts (Wevo with blue inserts). Trying to eliminate engine movement as cause of gearbox 2nd gear issue under load.

2). New "special" redline gearbox oil (no friction modifiers). Same reasons as above

3). Lightweight wheels (watch this space)

4). Turbo+RS Big Brake brembo set up (my stock system is up for sale for anyone interested?). Again watch this space.

5). Front Endless MX72 pads for above package combo'd with new factory standard rear pads in order to address RS rear brake bias.

6). Reduction of "anti squat" through machining of alloy front rear suspension solid mounts. I found there was far too much anti squat in this set up (its designed for RSR and EVO 993 running 450-550 bhp). Essentially it was helping stability turning into corners but robbing me of getting power to teh ground getting out of them. Luckily its an easy job to drop these an have them machines do the front of the suspension frame sits closer to the body of the car reducing tilt or anti squat a bit (less nose up on heavy acceleration).

7). Rear ball jointed Rennline Kinematic toe arms with lockout kit. Finer adjustment with less chance of it "going out" less compliance more feedback.

Not thinking these changes will make huge difference with handling, braking and lap times but just small revisions and some concessions to reliability, durability and longevity.....and something to do!
And then there's Maccas pockets lol
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Yes. His was silver. I think it went to CHCH and got turned into a Motec race car (by the guys down there that had the lodge that got broken during the earthquake and moved to Kapati - forgot his name, builds engines).
Jon Warring http://www.hadleigh.co.nz/your-hosts.html
Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

The next 12 months within RSG will be interesting as some gain skills and move to club racing, others abandon the sport due to time and cost restraints, some get faster and continue to hot rod their daily rides. Its very much an individualist thing.
I've found the easy way of explaining my inability to sell, I'm a "collector". I'll see how I go this Summer. If the times approach 1:20 and I find myself diving in under corners at the Classic Trials then I'll likely go Bridgestone in 2015. Not to be at the bleeding edge, just to be in the mix. In the meantime it's all about skill development.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure your last line sums it up Macca!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?