Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fiats here - a 124 imported in 1972 when we arrived in NZ followed by a 128 and a 132... Things went downhill from there with an Austin Maxi (land crab) then 1st gen Honda Civic, Mitsi Mirage with "supershift" and eventually something cool to drive - 5.0l Holden Premier.

John - I'll match you with the Cordia Turbo - heap of crud that one!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Mexico Blue, now we're talking. Clubsport, even better.
There was obviously much more thought behind the colour change than you portray. Big decision but it will be a one off down here.
+1 there. Nice call re colour and spec - will be unique in NZ.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
John - I'll match you with the Cordia Turbo - heap of crud that one!
Sure was. I was scarred by the Grunter so I needed something with power. Its waste gate fused on one trip and blew a diaphragm somewhere.

I remember being laughed at going up the hill near Hunterville as a hot BMW overtook me going home from the skifields. Looking at the spec on line it was only 84kw. Felt a lot faster, but it was a different time.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like Im not the only one with a bloodline of motoring enthusiasts then LOL! Good to know!

The Cortina only had drum brakes at the back. The Princess must have been a step up. Shame they all rusted or the "Prince of Darkness" got to them...

Thank for the compliments on the new spec guys. Clubsport spec with bucket seats change has now been confirmed by Porsche. However awaiting to find out if Paint to Sample can be included as the original order for White is still on the system order. Hopefully its not too late to change that. Only downside is delayed delivery. First NZ cars will arrive mid Feb. I suspect mine with PTS will not be ready until March then stored a month until we can get over there. Will definitely be spending time at Nurbergring and Spa. Need to earn those "Ring track outline" stickers I grabbed from the shop last time I was there - but never had the ***** to stick on the 993! Ill take a felt pen and if I see Walter Rohl Ill ask him to sign under my bonnet. Infact Ill be happy for anyone who can do a sub 8.00 to sign under my bonnet LOL!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Sounds like Im not the only one with a bloodline of motoring enthusiasts then LOL! Good to know!

The Cortina only had drum brakes at the back. The Princess must have been a step up. Shame they all rusted or the "Prince of Darkness" got to them...

Thank for the compliments on the new spec guys. Clubsport spec with bucket seats change has now been confirmed by Porsche. However awaiting to find out if Paint to Sample can be included as the original order for White is still on the system order. Hopefully its not too late to change that. Only downside is delayed delivery. First NZ cars will arrive mid Feb. I suspect mine with PTS will not be ready until March then stored a month until we can get over there. Will definitely be spending time at Nurbergring and Spa. Need to earn those "Ring track outline" stickers I grabbed from the shop last time I was there - but never had the ***** to stick on the 993! Ill take a felt pen and if I see Walter Rohl Ill ask him to sign under my bonnet. Infact Ill be happy for anyone who can do a sub 8.00 to sign under my bonnet LOL!
Just bring the marker with you on the way to SITT mate. Sub 8's on PS4... Happy to oblige
Old 10-30-2013, 03:30 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Got the 993 back today. Paint is awesome but a few details like the sunroof felt etc that I'm not 100% happy with. Also the front and rear screens don't sit perfect so car will need to go back. Not the painters fault as they contract the glass work out but annoying none the less.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Just bring the marker with you on the way to SITT mate. Sub 8's on PS4... Happy to oblige
LOL! Fly to the Ring car park and Ill provide the paint marker! Otherwise will probably be some spotty kid with a supercharged Honda Integra R. Actually I may just stay at the PistonHaus and ask Sabine Shmitz to sign it. I could pat her on the *** afterwards and get a slap in the face and cover off a myriad of fantasies all in the carpark within 15s flat!

Car looks good mate. 2 months eh! I knew there was no way they would pull it off in 2 weeks. Hopefully you can get the front and rear screen re done without "Graemesque" size dramas. Remember that? Stated with a rock chip and ended with 2 x 993 screens and half the car being repainted due to the damage they made! That rear screen is a Pig. Dean reckons the glass guys in Auckland lost monet on that job Charge the insurance company a fixed price and two off them spent half a day getting it right. In the end Dean called in Hazlers and my mechanic Rob had to remove the seats and get inside to help them position it. Part of the problem is the wiring. There a trick to making sure you dont get the window blow out. The factory position of the wires means they loose their plastic over time and short. Damn windows in the 993 are more structural than the chassis. Without them I'm sure the car would actually twist 15 degrees in the corners.....

Anyway it looks like it was worth the wait and you are happy which is the main thing. Might have to get that license plate sorted out too match the pristine nature of the new paintwork. Looks like you been touch parking again mate!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Oops...
(thanks)
Good score Matt. Hopefully they're not from one of the seller's other listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-656014253.htm
Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL! Fly to the Ring car park and Ill provide the paint marker! Otherwise will probably be some spotty kid with a supercharged Honda Integra R. Actually I may just stay at the PistonHaus and ask Sabine Shmitz to sign it. I could pat her on the *** afterwards and get a slap in the face and cover off a myriad of fantasies all in the carpark within 15s flat!
Ha ha, awesome!

And needless to say, your GT3 spec sounds amazing...
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Car looks good mate. 2 months eh! I knew there was no way they would pull it off in 2 weeks. Hopefully you can get the front and rear screen re done without "Graemesque" size dramas. Remember that? Stated with a rock chip and ended with 2 x 993 screens and half the car being repainted due to the damage they made! That rear screen is a Pig. Dean reckons the glass guys in Auckland lost monet on that job Charge the insurance company a fixed price and two off them spent half a day getting it right. In the end Dean called in Hazlers and my mechanic Rob had to remove the seats and get inside to help them position it. Part of the problem is the wiring. There a trick to making sure you dont get the window blow out. The factory position of the wires means they loose their plastic over time and short. Damn windows in the 993 are more structural than the chassis. Without them I'm sure the car would actually twist 15 degrees in the corners.....

Anyway it looks like it was worth the wait and you are happy which is the main thing. Might have to get that license plate sorted out too match the pristine nature of the new paintwork. Looks like you been touch parking again mate!
LoL they had 4 weeks not 2 to have it finished but I myself was skeptical and had to make a call. Take it to NITT looking like a pig with dents etc and being embarrassed by its condition or get it done which was well overdue. I'm stoked its been done now but don't like the fact its so perfect where I preferred knowing I could just jump in and rip to the shops with it and not worry about the odd stone chip. I'll still drive it like that but you can't help but cringe and be a bit careful.

The painters did a great job and again to be fair they could have had it done in 5 weeks but after missing out on NITT I told them not to rush and do a good job. Also got them to add the brake ducts and ducting etc and then 3M on the wheel arches so that all added time. The glass guys also had to remove the side windows and re-fit as per our emails and they have got them sorted.

Issues remaining...

1) Front screen is like 5-10mm to the left of the car
2) Rear screen is 5mm to the right of the car and slightly high in the top left corner. Kinda hard to explain.
3) The sunroof felt has glue on it and sits proud of the body work.
4) New front bumper rubbers don't sit right but never did. The shop have had two goes at it and can't get it any better.
5) Black plastic strips that sit between the rear bumper and body work need repositioning.
6) I think the wipers are sitting a bit high on the windscreen?!

The front personalized plate has a ding in it which also resulted in the front bumper dent from the parent who kindly reversed into it when I was watching my daughters cross country. Left a note on my window though....NOT! So yeah gotta replace that with a nice new one.

Mods done while at the painters.
1) Removed headlight washers nozzles.
2) Installed brake cooling ducts, ducting and new side lights.
3) Removed rear basket handle.
4) Removed all US bumperettes and filled bumpers.

I also replaced all rubbers, gaskets, badges etc. All parts supplied by Darin @ http://fdmotorsports.net/ who was great to deal with as usual.

Items I forgot.
Gaskets under the windscreen washer nozzles.

I'm going to take the car to Powerhaus or Steve Goss and see if I am being **** or if I should get the screens removed and re-positioned. I sent the painters all your emails and as you know supplied a complete folder with step by step DIY's for each of the jobs, windscreen etc. They were really good too googling stuff themselves to make sure they had it right etc. Overall i am happy as long as the stuff above can be sorted without fuss. They've said anything i am not happy with to drop back. Glad Vero has picked up the tab for most of the work except for mods etc
Old 10-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

All good mate. Relax. It looks great. Those turbo S ducts look the bomb and the white indicators pop. Getting rid of the bumperettes is a big bonus. Im sure you'll get the glass sorted. Then get out there and put a healthy rock chip Patina on it but forst of all do what I did and take tonnes of photos when its like new - some good ones you can hang on the wall too, then you can enjoy it and not feel so guilty. Oh, and dont forget the SITT if you find yourself unexpectedly flush...
Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

All good mate. Relax. It looks great. Those turbo S ducts look the bomb and the white indicators pop. Getting rid of the bumperettes is a big bonus. Im sure you'll get the glass sorted. Then get out there and put a healthy rock chip Patina on it but forst of all do what I did and take tonnes of photos when its like new - some good ones you can hang on the wall too, then you can enjoy it and not feel so guilty. Oh, and dont forget the SITT if you find yourself unexpectedly flush...
It'll look better when I get the wheels here and painted etc. Working on the "flush" bit so fingers crossed.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

A few more evenings working on the Otaki Main Street corner, and I know youll make the moola mate! I know a potential client with a 360 who could become your sugar daddy!

In all seriousness tho those Roocks are going to look awesome. Are you thinking black centres?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

A few more evenings working on the Otaki Main Street corner, and I know youll make the moola mate! I know a potential client with a 360 who could become your sugar daddy!

In all seriousness tho those Roocks are going to look awesome. Are you thinking black centres?
Haha true bud true. All going well I'll be out of there in 18 months or so or at least 2 of the shops gone!

The wheels I am going to do them polished band with gloss black centres but have toyed with the idea of a fleck through the black. Maybe a red fleck? Barely visible but enough to make a difference. I'll get them to do a sample and see what I think. Kind of like the charcoal Porsche colour look I guess.

Talking about sugar daddy I'm surprised you didn't go for barney purple/pink for the GT3! You could have got a matching robe to wear at his place

Will look similar to this (think I've posted this already)
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I sleep in the nudd and don't do robes mate! Those are for poofters and panty sniffers. Real men wear hair!

Love the look and the black pearl candy apple fleck centers could be a nice RSG touch Im thinking. Getting it right with the flip and the fleck size will be a challenge so youll need to have a few cards sprayed up first. the look is nice against the red.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?