Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug I spotted a yellow and a white 991 GT3 in the pictures you have of the cars awaiting transportation. Classic!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John - how were classic trials today? Manage to slow down sufficiently.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
John - how were classic trials today? Manage to slow down sufficiently.
'Interesting' is a word I would use. The practice rules seemed clear to me. The minimum lap time was 1.28 and anything less than 1.27 was black flag material. My fastest was 1.282 so I set my goal time at 1.28.

I was somewhat amazed to see I was given grid place 12 out of 27. The reason being that a number of drivers went hell for leather in practice, busted the time barrier and weren't 'punished' with say a back of grid position. Grid place is based on fastest lap, full stop.

Perversely, in the 2nd session, 3 of us lost the plot and were black flagged. The times were then used to put us higher up in the final grid!

Overall cost for Pukekohe and HD rounds were $135 each. We had ~ 50 track minutes each time. Grid starts and closer car action. We also got to watch a range of cars in action.

Compared to RSG, it's a long day, track time is less and the competition is frustrating at times. I don't think I will improve much by doing it long term. However it offers fill in days to RSG dates, gives entrance to some great meets e.g. the Ferrari event in January and the other drivers are friendly.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Back to AIM data. This is the trace of the fastest lap done in my C4 at HD against my fastest. Steve managed 1.19.576, whereas I did 1.22.984.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Dave took the AIM in the fifth session. Paul towed both of us, but we separated with some overtaking so I can't claim the best lap of 1.22.654. Dave in red, compared to my best lap in blue. You can see the difference in the tow corner approach. Remember there is only 0.33 seconds difference so it's interesting how many different ways there are to run this track with similar time outcomes.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Weird how Steve's traces are all jumpy. Like Pete says Im sure there still half a second at least in there for Steve. Also strange how your best time was in your first session.

STeve is carrying far more speed through 1 which also allows him to carry more speed through 2. The rest is lost through the sweeper 9/10 and thus a follow onto the front straight. I think you just need to go harder longer on 1 first up and it will reward you in 2 with same strategy. Once youve nailed that you will be at 1.21 and you need to get sweeper double apex and exit for the blip below 1.20 - IMO the car runs out of steam at 1.19 n current settings with a good driver....
Old 11-03-2013, 03:28 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
'Interesting' is a word I would use. The practice rules seemed clear to me. The minimum lap time was 1.28 and anything less than 1.27 was black flag material. My fastest was 1.282 so I set my goal time at 1.28.

I was somewhat amazed to see I was given grid place 12 out of 27. The reason being that a number of drivers went hell for leather in practice, busted the time barrier and weren't 'punished' with say a back of grid position. Grid place is based on fastest lap, full stop.

Perversely, in the 2nd session, 3 of us lost the plot and were black flagged. The times were then used to put us higher up in the final grid!

Overall cost for Pukekohe and HD rounds were $135 each. We had ~ 50 track minutes each time. Grid starts and closer car action. We also got to watch a range of cars in action.

Compared to RSG, it's a long day, track time is less and the competition is frustrating at times. I don't think I will improve much by doing it long term. However it offers fill in days to RSG dates, gives entrance to some great meets e.g. the Ferrari event in January and the other drivers are friendly.
Interesting views having done the 2 back to back. Yesterday was one of the best Playdays we've done in terms of getting loads of track time, track not too hot but still dry all day (a few spots of drizzle weren't a problem).

I'm probably going to do the next Playday on the 24th - just regular group even though there is a Prestige one that day. Having experienced a few different formats I reckon Gary and Tony get it pretty well right.

Your Aim plots are interesting but no surprises. Your braking points are pretty much the same as Steve but difference is you're lifting pre braking whereas he hits higher top speeds and then he carries more speed through the corners proving you don't need to brake as hard. Turn 1 and the sweeper are the big gains to be had. Any chance of overlaying my best lap? Keen to see how the 2 C4's compare.

Last edited by peterC2S; 11-03-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:33 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Btw - I weakened and joined the AIM crew today. Dropped Dave Taylor a line and they are in stock. May shoot out Tues pm and pick it up - and see Paul & Matt at Uncles. If its looking dry may even go for a run.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Peter, as requested. Just a note on Steve's times, he ran 7 laps and was shaving off considerable time each lap e.g. 1.19.814 in lap 6. I don't know what he could do if given more time, but he must have been close to the best. I wonder what he could do in the C2? Is there really 1 second between the variants?
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2013, 03:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John - Steve would definitely have got more with more time. I was over-braking as well. Still am in the 944 so pretty sure that's where the next 'half a Dave' is coming from. Or maybe half a Dave and a couple of Maccas....
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Its the same story here. Steve is getting off the brakes a fraction earlier in 1, 2 and later in 5/6? I think this is a trick to know how much grip is in the chassis and how much speed those tyres can carry through. Id imagine its something you pick up over a bit of time on the track....
Old 11-03-2013, 04:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Maybe a sub 1.19 is possible with better suspension and a less mechanically sympathetic style? Steve said he found it hard to hang in with no harness and a non race seat.

Macca, I am driving around the gear change grind. Just going a bit slower. New oil didn't fix it. As we can see from the traces, it had minimal impact on my lap times.

Peter, I think I can send you your files to use with your AIM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

What other feedback did Steve give you afterwards apart from the seats? I understand the issue as mine aren't even sports seats so even less side bolster. But I've always been happy with it mechanically - could always go stiffer with the suspension.

Steve's 964 race car show what can be done though with less weight and appropriate suspension - 3 more Dave's....
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Peter, I think I can send you your files to use with your AIM.
Cheers - would be great. Did you grab any from Chris at one of the earlier days? Be interested in comparison of the 944s as still working out how to drive it differently.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Cheers - would be great. Did you grab any from Chris at one of the earlier days? Be interested in comparison of the 944s as still working out how to drive it differently.
I don't think so. I think he's had his AIM as long as I've had mine.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?