Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Heigo update; Well, she's all in. Wasn't the easiest of jobs but the end result is good. It really is well made and fitted perfectly. The left and right hand threads on the ends of each tube allow plenty of adjustment then a good taught cage when tightened up. Got the seat back in and it all works. Bit disappointed in the marks the cage came with but I can see it getting bashed around with seat belt buckles and luggage. Now back to the door cards - that is a job I wish I never started.
Very nice. You must be all set for next Thursday. Now all we need to do is cross our fingers for the weather to be different than the long forecast.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Kevin rang me today. I won't get my car back until next Tuesday/Wednesday. He's probably got performance anxiety over Macca poring over the paint job

Anyway, there will be no noisy runs around the Bays. It's all yours Dave. All is not lost though, just got an update on Real Racing 3 for the iPad; they now have a 964 to purchase. May have to pay the boys to play the game to get me enough points to unlock and buy it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. You should see my paint job these days. Not pretty. Dont worry about my scrutiny. Just get it back before Thursday is the main thing!

Dave cage looks awesome!

Picked up the 993 at 6.30pm this evening and had a quick drive. Biggest dynamic change Ive made in the car to date full stop. Cant wait to get it on track. Cage is a work of art - fits so perfectly, doesnt interfer at all with rear vision mirror visbibility and no squeeks or creakes. The paint work just sets it off perfectly. David, as soon as I took my belt off I heard a "twang" as the buckle hit the hoop tubing. Looked down and already 2-3 small paint burrs there from others have also sone the same so impossible to prevent that area getting chipped. Ill put some cleat film on that area for both sides shortly I think - its just an area an inch wide.

The suspension/geometry is just mind blowing. Turn in is instant as Dean said and hope to see what front end grip is like on Sunday run with Ron & co. I suspect zero degree front toe is 50% of it but I may get this toned down a bit after the NITT as it tracks every road imperfection and you need to keep both hands on teh wheel - great on the smooth track but tiring I suspect in the NS roads. Tyre noise "hum" is acceptable at motorway speeds, can still hear stereo but Im sure it is loud on chipseal. Tyres gripped well from cold but with an LSD and -3.0 front camber and -2.5 rear I wasnt surprised. Height and stance are pretty unreal with the bulgy 221s (245 front/265 rear). Monoballs make no noticeable additional NVH but you can certainly feel what the cars doing better.

Strut brace, RS water bottle, RS front carpet and camber plates and locking pins look very nicely installed and give the car a real technical and quality motorsport look.

The big surprise was the CF door cards. I was in too minds looking at the photos. I should have remembered CF looks crap on film. In real life they really blew me away. Anyone knows teh car knows there is acres of CF in it both cosmetics and for mechanical weight reduction but these door cards are something else. Are they worth 12 hours+ labour to install....yes. They really make the car as the boys said. Coaxial Focal poly glass speakers remarkably good and the door is lighter - I found myself slamming it both times I closed them.

Overall very happy with the outcome. Some huge handling changes in suspension and tyres. The 221s gripped very well even at 10 degrees from cold and werent as harsh riding as I thought though the coilovers and arbs are set full soft all round for Sunday drive. It was an expensive round of work that when way over budget but a few of the tangible results like the gorgeous Heigo fabrication work, CF door panels, Rennline 3 piece strut brace with camber lock and the camber plates do make it worthwhile for me.... I got a bit lucky with my Nokia stock this week so not feeling as fiscally guilty as I was a week ago! Now go AAPL!

Photos to follow tomorrow...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Look forward to seeing the pics, but then again only 5 sleeps until we see it in the metal.

I wish Dave hadn't reminded me about the long range weather forecasts, as now I keep checking both Taupo and Manuwatu. Neither are great, and are not changing much with each forecast. They're usually right with temps so expects 12/13 C highs. The rain looks heaviest in Taupo. If they're right with 95% chance of > 10mm, then I'd be crazy not to take the 996TT.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. No talk like that mate or you'll have every RSG'er taking their wife's Audi Quattro wagon on the Inagural Rennsport Gruppe North Island Track Tour!

To quote you "Go cars not Show Cars" LOL.

Im still trying to work out if I can be assed changing my sway bar settign down there or just road drive on full track settings....

If its any consolation today was average on the forescast Thurs and look at it this morning....
Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. If you are telling me NZ weather forecasting has got more accurate in the 8 years I've been away Id have to chuckle....
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Over two full days, there is bound to be a dry line somewhere.
D90's looking butch. Who would have thought?
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That powder coating is the bomb, especially that colour on Red.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with John, they are looking amazing. Beautiful finish. Grunty look.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Macca you must be feeling like its all been worthwhile... How exciting to be in the drivers seat instead of poring over photos for a change. How about joining us for a shakedown tomorrow? Can't wait to see your car performing.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Guys, very happy with the finish. Kinetic copper was a last minute decision from what was meant to be a browny cream cup of tea colour. I've been hiding the other side which I was dead set on a mid grey but I don't like it as much.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. No talk like that mate or you'll have every RSG'er taking their wife's Audi Quattro wagon on the Inagural Rennsport Gruppe North Island Track Tour!
My wife's Audi wagon has 150 hp more than my car - could improve the lap times.........
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

This site tends to be more accurate http://www.yr.no/place/New_Zealand/O...aupo/long.html but hey it's probably just wishful thinking...
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul, surprisingly it would likely be slower!

Matt. I like that site. Its shows a glimmer of hope! Dont like the 11 degrees celicus though. You are a hardy bunch down there mate.

I recced my $186 PB purchase. Quite impressed. Easier to read than I thought, intuitive menu, and surprise of all surprised the back up battery seems to work fine (Matt - I may have saved you a curry fueled job! Ive loaded the latest Racelogic software onto my laptop but must say upsating the firmware onboard the PB with the later file I have seems perplexing as does checking I loaded the NZ track files. Matt - may need to leave it with your Thursday night to check its set up ok? Harwiring it looks easy now Ive seen the fusebox...

Doug you will definitely see me tomorrow. I suspect rain. A good chance to get my Mojo back on new 221s in the wet. I asked Ron to arrange one of his Sunday drives for me a month back and as usual he has come through. We are also meeting same time at same place so will finally meet you there. Id love to do your run but I am obliged now as Ron group have come out to play with me...hopefully ill keep it all together!

Dave the gold/copper looks awesome against the red. Thats definitely the combo. I can see a copper coloured Heigo in your future!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys, very happy with the finish. Kinetic copper was a last minute decision from what was meant to be a browny cream cup of tea colour. I've been hiding the other side which I was dead set on a mid grey but I don't like it as much.
Dave - I'd go for copper all round - it looks really good on the D90s. Unique and it works. Would it work for your half cage as well or would that be a bit OTT?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?