Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
To the contrary John I reckon you definitely need to invest $500 in some new springs at the least. All our cars show compression in the corkscrew the thing is comparing your pictures there with Petes, mine and Matts we are all cornering reasonably flat elsewhere (i.e. height difference between fully compressed and say over the brow is an inch max) but your car looks very "floaty".

I could be wrong as I haven't seen the car on the track but I have seen it static and there's no way you are getting the best from the car IMHO sitting static at that height. Suspension is critical to quick turn in and getting power down and I think you would surprise yourself a lot getting your suspension sorted out to similar to Dave B (or Pete?) for example...

Have a chat to Dean when hes back from Fiji and ask him what a difference we have made to the 993 over the last few years with the suspension. Its really night and day. You already have half the equation right but the springs are letting you down.

Just my thoughts...
Hard to tell. All the 964s in these photos seem to lean. Of course that doesn't mean there's safety in numbers, but I'd be happy with Peter's times
Attached Images      
Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

996TT is a lot flatter and that has 160,000 km + on its shocks
Attached Images      
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes its difficult to tell from each of those pictures. they are all under different loads and different positions on the track.

A stiff platform pushed hard should lift a wheel in that corkscrew.

I dont have many pictures from HD of my car but plenty of the car corner loaded in the Targa (soft settings).

Getting out some weight is a great idea, but getting the suspension sorted may yield better times.
Attached Images     
Old 09-05-2013, 04:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Macca, I don't suppose you have some detail shots of your Heigo back stays. The ones that attach to the outboard back seat belt mounts. The back stay has a flat plate where the bolt goes through. Just above the bolt hole, it is bent at a slight angle that isn't perpendicular to the sides of the flat. I can't figure out which stay is left or right. Bend line horizontal or at a big angle when installed with tell me.
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Heigo Update. Got it home, looking good out of the box except a few to many marks for my liking. Some through to the steel. It was well packed by Gert so must have happened before hand. There is no way it happened in transit. Will have to look at refinishing one day but after the last hour and a half's effort, I ain't removing it in a hurry. I've cracked the hardest bit which is getting the main hoop in. Biggest problem was compressing the carpet / pulling / pushing the main hoop to get the foot holes lined up to the lower seat belt fixings in the sill. I was terrified of not getting the bolt square on to the threaded back plate in the sill for fear of stripping or cross threading. Once you do that, your'e toast. Have had to call it a day as my garage has nothing like 7/16 UNF bolts to make a nice job of the other 4 points of chassis attachment. The one in the pic shows the harness eye bolt doing the securing. It is a well made piece of kit though, for $2600. Good thing about being bolt in is it will have some value when I'm done with it.
Looking forward to seeing it all fitted. Just give me a call if you need some brute force!
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Hard to tell. All the 964s in these photos seem to lean. Of course that doesn't mean there's safety in numbers, but I'd be happy with Peter's times
Is that air/light I can see under the inside front wheels of the 964's... Are they actually lifting from the tarmac or is it an optical illusion?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna

Is that air/light I can see under the inside front wheels of the 964's... Are they actually lifting from the tarmac or is it an optical illusion?
No illusion, many pics of Peter on that corner show his left front wheel in the air. In fact you can lift the front wheel on a 964 by jacking the rear wheel up. A stiff chassis.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Looking forward to seeing it all fitted. Just give me a call if you need some brute force!
Yeah I should have got you down. Would have been a 5 minute job with two people.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Its been over 5 months since Ive seen the car and only have the pictures I can convince the boys to take for my project. Let me know if these do the job...tomorrow evening I will get to see the thing in the flesh...in the rain on new semi slicks driving through Auckland traffic LOL!
Attached Images     
Old 09-05-2013, 04:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah I should have got you down. Would have been a 5 minute job with two people.
Also happy to help if you need to borrow parts on a temp basis, particularly if it helps get you out of a tight spot. The window for buying parts before the NITT is short now. 6 sleeps to go.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

These pictures may also help show the angle...
Attached Images   
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see the black and white 964s together there, the 964 stock suspension I find to be night and day on road vs track. On road it is supple and has just the right amount of reaction to surfaces, soft but with good sense of purpose. On the track it really feels like a weak spot, way too much roll in corners and too much lift, time for kw coilovers maybe.

Been pricing up some kwv1s out of the states at 2.5k, which seems really decent, the spring rates been similar to the v3s and with adjustment for the heights only (50-80mm) which suits my KISS approach. What I'd like to know is if the camber plates and what other items are really needed as part of this install, (apart from the pre req time with Peter alder and install).
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Good to see the black and white 964s together there, the 964 stock suspension I find to be night and day on road vs track. On road it is supple and has just the right amount of reaction to surfaces, soft but with good sense of purpose. On the track it really feels like a weak spot, way too much roll in corners and too much lift, time for kw coilovers maybe.

Been pricing up some kwv1s out of the states at 2.5k, which seems really decent, the spring rates been similar to the v3s and with adjustment for the heights only (50-80mm) which suits my KISS approach. What I'd like to know is if the camber plates and what other items are really needed as part of this install, (apart from the pre req time with Peter alder and install).
I think both Peter and Dave's car have had suspension work. It would be worth talking to them.

BTW Looking at the black and white pic I just noticed I seem to have brake scoops under the car. Not sure if that's standard. My car is at the panel shop so I'll have to wait until it comes back to check what it is.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

KW is proven with 993 and 964. PSS10 is another option, possibly a little less track focused than LWV3 but again proven with the 993 brigade at least.

I worked out its around 10K NZD to do it properly. You are looking like $3150 USD/ 4000 NZD for those shocks. You need to buy the ront camber plates and front and rear monoballs. I would recommend Rennline.com for good value although others have looked at Mode and Elephant racing etc. Issue with front monoballs in camber plates is movement. Suggest then also Rennline strut brace with camber/monoball securing pins. For monoballs+camber plates+ strut braced budget 2000 NZD landed (1350 USD shipped before GST etc). Adjustable sway bars and drop links are a must. H&R make some as well s Porsche OEM for the 964. I have the OEM ones but suggest the H&R are better value. Maybe $1500 NZD for the set landed and paid. I would also pay $500 to rebush front A arms with new Urethane bushes and replace any other easily replaced bushes. Budget $1500 installation costs for components and around $500 for full Geo. I think thats 10k. There are other items that can be done but these are the key ones....
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think Davids car has the above items as I have described (or similar). Matt can confirm...Pete I recall has Bilstein H6 shocks with firmer lower springs and not sure about his ABRS

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?