Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

How about; all leave the pits in a line, fastest to slowest, spend the first lap warming up and then a semi rolling start in a line (not a full on one). Means the slowest are not miles behind giving more laps to the fastest before encountering traffic and then they might only see three or four. Me for eg, at 124 ish, if I am on the same straight as a 116 at the start - 8 secs a lap, might see me after 8 laps? Personally I find it quite OK both navigating traffic and being passed. I know who I'm moving over for pronto and who can follow me for a while without me worrying about holding them up. We can never expect a full set of lovely laps.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Hey boys look what just arrived: Matt G will know what that is!

Attachment 758323
Lucky. I have a Heigo half cage kicking around the airport somewhere. I might see it this week but fitting time is compressing so might not have it on board by next Thursday.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Lucky. I have a Heigo half cage kicking around the airport somewhere. I might see it this week but fitting time is compressing so might not have it on board by next Thursday.
Smart move getting a cage, as it allows you to have passengers aka informal tuition. As I found out today, an instructor in a non caged car needs to have an instruction certificate.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:43 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Smart move getting a cage, as it allows you to have passengers aka informal tuition. As I found out today, an instructor in a non caged car needs to have an instruction certificate.
Might get more excited when I see it. 3 months, exchange rate shifting, freight cost more than expected. Would probably change my mind if I could now. It will be good when fitted though. Will complete the seat / harness / cage set.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like my old Boxster is sold. Will be nice to get the other half of the garage back. Still a slight sniff of sadness. Not looking forward to handing the keys over.

The old girl appears in so many memories of awesome trips over the last 18 months http://www.hanna.net.nz/
Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt Have you tried the multi cam function in HLT? This allows you to sync with your GoPro and have both a front mounted cam and a secondary one, some people are mounting the secondary similar to yours, or at the footwell to see heel and toe etc.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
How about; all leave the pits in a line, fastest to slowest, spend the first lap warming up and then a semi rolling start in a line (not a full on one). Means the slowest are not miles behind giving more laps to the fastest before encountering traffic and then they might only see three or four. Me for eg, at 124 ish, if I am on the same straight as a 116 at the start - 8 secs a lap, might see me after 8 laps? Personally I find it quite OK both navigating traffic and being passed. I know who I'm moving over for pronto and who can follow me for a while without me worrying about holding them up. We can never expect a full set of lovely laps.
Interesting idea Dave, I wonder if Prestigio/Playday would be happy with it? It does have the disadvantage of bunching everyone at the start though.

I was thinking about the other option, which is to treat it more like a handicap race -- i.e. the slowest car goes out first, and then in increasing order of speed, with the fastest leaving as the slowest car is finishing its first lap. It means the fastest cars are on track for a minute less, but everyone probably does the same number of laps. The problem with this is that everyone will be bunched at the end of the session though, so I guess you can't win! It's a tough one.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:19 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

How about Fastest cars first - then everyone has a clean run and when the slowest get lapped it's an easy pass (would this ever happen in our 13min ish runs??)

Is it possible to merge goPro and Driftbox/performance box data?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 AM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Not brave or crazy............just stupid............it is the wild west, that's why I enjoy it.........!

Mind you, I met Phil there, not sure what his excuse is?

The cars are much closer together so more overtaking options. I find circulating with no one to chase a bit boring.

You guys are starting an arms race with faster cars and I'm being left behind (sob-sob). John's even removing passenger seats to go faster now. In 12 months he'll have a GT3..........
I got into Uncles from a mate with a Corvette, of all things..might be a bit down and dirty but as Paul says, blowing off a hot holden has its own satisfaction, most drivers are circumspect, and the only guy I saw diving into turn one was Paul..nice move incidently..Worth the effort cause it reinforces what awesome toys the Porsche are, not many pass us...
Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Looks like my old Boxster is sold. Will be nice to get the other half of the garage back. Still a slight sniff of sadness. Not looking forward to handing the keys over.

The old girl appears in so many memories of awesome trips over the last 18 months http://www.hanna.net.nz/
Well done Doug - there are a few Boxsters for sale so great that you moved yours. You have the memories from the last 18 months but look forward to the next 18 and beyond!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna

Good lesson in not counting your chickens before they hatch. The purchaser's wife "insisted" he sell his current car first. So the sale is off unless the stars align.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 PM
mjg
Pro

Dropped the car in to Peter Alder to have the RSS toe steer arms fitted.

JDAS Photos car gallery from the 31st: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3151295&type=3
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

John MCM - that car of yours definitely looks cool..
Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
John MCM - that car of yours definitely looks cool..
Thanks Matt. The 964 looks huge next to the Lotus, and very close. Like a great white about to attack. Funny thing is I can't recall being that close to another car all day. Selective memory perhaps....
Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Did you get any rubbing issues with the rear against the lines this time?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?