Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I heard the Prestegio rules are that you must not be able to see the timer while driving and can't download the results and view them during the day. So running a couple of units where you can't view them then analysis in the evening might work nicely.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
My 1.22.98 was not the only shame on the day! Not many of us have gone backwards up the main straight.
Ha brilliant! Sounds like a good weekend and the wet wasn't as extreme as predicted. The 1.19 from Peter sounds like a real stormer and really digging in. Ill be back for the october session after I get back from the states so look forward to then. Be great to see as many 964s as possibly at that session, today looked like a good turnout and with yours and mine it would be 964-o-rama!

By the way I sussed out a bit more on the oil-line rubbing problem and posted on it on the 'wheel spacers' thread in the 964 forum.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Sam, that seems very possible. Anyway, I'm getting Macca's 5mm spacers tomorrow to see if that's enough to fix my rubbing.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by mjg
I bought one of those new a few years ago, but I gave up on it for a Solo recently as it's a pain to use and has let me down on numerous occasions (in fact, almost every track day it fails in one of a few ways). It works well *when it works*, but I've had issues with it losing the start/finish settings, taking a very long time to get a GPS fix (mostly solved by attaching an external GPS antenna, a must for these in my opinion).
So, it turns out this is specific to my unit. After chatting to Matt about it at Taupo on Friday, he pointed out that these units have a soldered-in CR2032 (non-rechargable) battery. The battery allows the device to remember the GPS almanac when powered off, avoiding a full GPS cold start (15+ minutes) each time it's powered on.

I opened mine up (easily done, four screws on the back of the unit) and discovered the battery had an open-circuit voltage of 0.2V, and a good battery should read around 3.2V, so it's obviously dead, which completely explains the long GPS lock times each time the unit was turned on.

It's pretty disappointing that these units are effectively lifetimed based on a non-replaceable (unless you're comfortable with a soldering iron) $2 battery. The on-board software also gives no warning that the internal battery is low or dead, and it looks like the later firmware updates added an automatic cold start for units with dead batteries to work around/hide the problem (previously you needed to induce the GPS cold start manually in the menus).
Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good that you've found the problem.

I have an attic full of technology that is outdated or never quite worked as advertised. I no longer buy at the bleeding edge, but rely on recommendations.

The AIM solo was recommended to me by a member of a V8 endurance race team member. I wouldn't be surprised if it is continually refined but the important thing right now is that it just works. Aside from one driver that forgot to turn it on on Sunday, it was as simple as turning on the unit and driving.

The data to date is proving very useful, for me and not least Peter. We may not be racing each other per se but we are all improving because we know where the times are being lost.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The above post sounds a bit preachy. It's not meant to be. Right now I'm just appreciative of something that works as advertised and is taking my driving forward. Hopefully I can put the C4 in that category after its trip to CCS today
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hardly preachy John. Having access to the data at the end of the day has been incredibly useful and hugely appreciated. And being able to overlay comparisons with other drivers is magic. I've changed braking points and gear shifts based on what we've gathered from a single day back in July and know there is still potential to improve as a driver without having to modify the car at all. I think I'll be adding to the SOLO stock prior to Sept!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I dropped the car off this morning at CCS. A pig of a drive with 221s, skidding around the Palmers roundabout, riding the clutch so I didn't stall, revving in 1st at 5,000 rpm and sounding like a middle aged bogun. Then I got out of the car, looked at it and knew I'd taken the right path. I will do seats and harnesses eventually, but right now I think I have 6 or 7 seconds of improvement by developing skills. Seat time is a part of it, but the AIM does not lie. I can't wait to get the C4 and go around the sweeper being able to see the speedo. In the 996 you can't see the speed with the wheel in that position. You've raised the bar there to 100km/hr. I may have to visit the kitty litter a few times to know I'm pushing it. Roll on the NITT.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Good that you've found the problem.

I have an attic full of technology that is outdated or never quite worked as advertised. I no longer buy at the bleeding edge, but rely on recommendations.

The AIM solo was recommended to me by a member of a V8 endurance race team member. I wouldn't be surprised if it is continually refined but the important thing right now is that it just works. Aside from one driver that forgot to turn it on on Sunday, it was as simple as turning on the unit and driving.
The PerformanceBox has been around since at least 2007-2008 (with similar or better functionality, and slightly clunkier UI), the Solo was released in 2011. It's worth pointing out that the Solo also has a non-user-serviceable internal battery (with larger capacity to power the entire unit, and a fixed number of recharge cycles) that will result in the same failure mode when it expires and you're forced to switch to external power. We're probably talking about a 3 year lifetime, depending on number of charge cycles.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Oh joy. Still I suppose not unexpected given telephone and laptop batteries have a fixed recharge life. I guess the advice is buy new.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
The PerformanceBox has been around since at least 2007-2008 (with similar or better functionality, and slightly clunkier UI), the Solo was released in 2011. It's worth pointing out that the Solo also has a non-user-serviceable internal battery (with larger capacity to power the entire unit, and a fixed number of recharge cycles) that will result in the same failure mode when it expires and you're forced to switch to external power. We're probably talking about a 3 year lifetime, depending on number of charge cycles.
Matt. Thanks so much for the intell on this unit. Im thanking both Matts actually I believe!

Did Matt Burton also need to replace the battery?

I did a tonne of online research and I couldnt get any definitive chatter about the issues you claimed to have so it all makes sense now. Its possible I guess it was peculiar to your unit but obviously and issue for all units dependent on age.

The good news is Im handier with a soldering iron than a steering wheel (a childhood spent making DSE kits!). I think I will have a go at replacing that battery. The guy who sold it to me said he had none of the issues you mentioned last time he used it but its been in the closet a fair while I believe.

You have to remember I paid $186 nzd for this including the bracket. These were the standard before the AIM solo and still are used my many magazines today. I believe the functionality and software are better than many and given my occasional track useage I expect it to be of comparative benefit only - probably not for things like NITT & SITT but more for HD where hopefully more than one day will be spent a year.

Last edited by Macca; 08-11-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Well done Peter - into the 1.19's. I hope that's not a damp track time..??? - no pressure Dave and John.............

All you have to do now is strip a little weight with racing seats, removing the back seats, spare tire and some RS brakes, and you will be challenging Sean in the 1.16's............

Sorry for the no show - ended up having to work the entire day..........
Yes indeed, I don't know where I am yet but I think it is around 1.24 - 1.25 by taking note of the gap Pete opens up after going by for a few laps.
Self assessment; The bad first; lines need work, at turn 1 especially. Not braking hard enough late enough. Short shifting to 4th and 5th when holding a gear would do.
The good; Corner speed is good. I am pushing the RE11 tyres and have found the edge of adhesion (except at turn 1 which still gives me the ****es). New wheels and Dunlop DZ03g's to come. The brakes are now very good.
Nut size; to be determined when all the other stuff has been attended to.
So, lines, tyres and nuts - 2 seconds each - 1.19 no sweat....
What would Racing Ray do in our cars?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Matt B.
Pagid assessment as promised.
New SRF, new pagid blue RS4.2's F&R, front discs skimmed.
I tried to follow the bedding procedure exactly and did pretty well here considering the weather and others on the track.
My conclusion is that the brakes are now excellent. No fade or judder.
I'm no expert but It looks like I ran the old Pagids for a bit too long even though they were barely half worn, and the SRF was probably due for a change.
Chirp badly on the road though - no squeal just a squeak with every wheel rev. Strange.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sorry David, I did offer you a run with the Solo but the prior user forgot to turn it on so it didn't get passed on! I do however have video footage of the last session passes for all of you on the first five laps. I know what Peter lapped in so I can work out the difference between the laps and give you a ball park figure....if you want.

As for what I saw. Yes, the braking point on turn one is one of Peters big advantages as is the speed on the sweeper.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
What would Racing Ray do in our cars?
Now that's a question I would love an answer to! Could always give the car to him for a session on a no fault basis.... if you have big enough stones!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?