Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
We discussed PLBs for the first SITT and it was argued that travelling in groups is just as effective for risk mitigation as the other driver can go get aid just as quickly, unless you are unlucky enough to take each other out or are in a life threatening situation. In the latter case I would hope to be paired up with someone who has the basics nailed.

I agree, an extinguisher and first aid kit are a necessity. A tow rope not so much as I can't see us towing each other and a tow truck with have the necessary items.
I have a PLB, but seldom have it in the car. Probably a good reminder to leave it in the glovebox at least. The tow rope might sometimes help lift a car off someone or force a door open I suppose, but yeah, I'll take an AA flatbed for normal recoveries.

That radio looks good, though a bit more range would be ideal.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:01 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default Cayenne S

To add to John's GT comfy lounge chair testament, I'd have to say that Cayenne owners have been underselling the performance of these things on the go front. Everything is softened up/numbed back compared to the Turbo of course (reminded me more of the 928), but they have no trouble covering ground. Found some new roads coming back from Rotorua as I swung across south of Te Awamutu. No blurred action shots sorry:

Name:  WaltCayenneS1K.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  509.6 KB
Old 10-17-2016, 01:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We discussed PLBs for the first SITT and it was argued that travelling in groups is just as effective for risk mitigation as the other driver can go get aid just as quickly, unless you are unlucky enough to take each other out or are in a life threatening situation. In the latter case I would hope to be paired up with someone who has the basics nailed.

I agree, an extinguisher and first aid kit are a necessity. A tow rope not so much as I can't see us towing each other and a tow truck with have the necessary items.
I think after some research I discovered a EPERB wasn't the best tool for the job (terrestrial based application, comes with stiff penalties for accidental activation, relatively slow recovery time).

A Iridium or Inmarsat hand phone is definitely more useful. From basic breakdown/recovery use to emergency medical assistance, not to mention directing air based services to a location it has no peers. Ive been monitoring my cell phone coverage on many NZ based drives (the signal bars of my GSM handset show in the instrument binical of the GT3) and I must say Im quite surprised at the lack of cellular coverage on most NZ rural back roads and B routes. I remember last year Doug had to walk a km or two to find a farmhouse to call his wife for a pick up after one of his Northland Puncture episodes. By way of example the entire 55-60km route from Russell to SHW1 is mostly uncovered or at the best incredibly patchy.

I still think it would be a worthy investment, personally, especially as I indend to do a tonne more back road driving in 2017 central north island myself (infact most of my chosen regular back road routes to Auckland are largely vacant by traffic and uncovered by cellular). Perhaps its something I need to go it alone on. Possibly more practical that way...
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bob McG just emailed me the latest UK Silverstone Auctions results.

I think you will agree there is some significant softening of the market evident here (particularly when comparing to last years prices cobversted into NZD).

Of particular interest were the sale prices of low mileage 993 & 996.1 GT3 as well as even 964RS and a lovely and rare 964 RS NT. Fair condition 964s look reasonably priced still and there is a 3.3T in Tahoe blue which brought 155K NZD (seems about right). On the strong side 968CS finally look like they are on the rise, a wonderful 1989 3.3T with G50 and 24K miles took strong money, and a low mileage Gen II 997 GT3RS showing the later GT cars are still in favour.

If you have some time take a gander - some interesting stuff here and this is real world pricing not the "Maltons tax" stuff we see in the pages of the magazines. Some great collectibles on there too which would make fantastic garage art...

Thanks Bob.

http://silverstoneauctions.com/the-p...ew_lots/pn/all
Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walt, nice work. Is it black or blue? I assume S?
Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt. I like the spec on those Baofeng handhelds. Especially the inclusive headset/mic which is really handy if you are driving. They represent superb value. Maybe we should do a group order for some of these for driving tours...
Old 10-17-2016, 02:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think after some research I discovered a EPERB wasn't the best tool for the job (terrestrial based application, comes with stiff penalties for accidental activation, relatively slow recovery time). A Iridium or Inmarsat hand phone is definitely more useful. From basic breakdown/recovery use to emergency medical assistance, not to mention directing air based services to a location it has no peers. Ive been monitoring my cell phone coverage on many NZ based drives (the signal bars of my GSM handset show in the instrument binical of the GT3) and I must say Im quite surprised at the lack of cellular coverage on most NZ rural back roads and B routes. I remember last year Doug had to walk a km or two to find a farmhouse to call his wife for a pick up after one of his Northland Puncture episodes. By way of example the entire 55-60km route from Russell to SHW1 is mostly uncovered or at the best incredibly patchy. I still think it would be a worthy investment, personally, especially as I indend to do a tonne more back road driving in 2017 central north island myself (infact most of my chosen regular back road routes to Auckland are largely vacant by traffic and uncovered by cellular). Perhaps its something I need to go it alone on. Possibly more practical that way...
Doug was by himself, hence the need to walk. Don't disagree with the coverage comment for GSM. It's rubbish in rural areas e.g. nothing at Cape Reinga on the weekend, nor around the back of Waipou. I used satellite phones in the Pacific. They were our communication method when the local network went down due to cyclones or coups. At best they proved to be haphazard with connections and quality. Satellites come into view then leave. Weather interference etc etc. I would rather rely on my road trip buddies to apply first aid, then they go for help to the nearest landline/mobile reception area. Call in the chopper if needed. Of course the biggest risk mitigant is the style of driving in the first place. We have some of the best tyres and brakes on the road, plus some focused experience, but you roll the dice at times when the Red Mist descends.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug was by himself, hence the need to walk. Don't disagree with the coverage comment for GSM. It's rubbish in rural areas e.g. nothing at Cape Reinga on the weekend, nor around the back of Waipou. I used satellite phones in the Pacific. They were our communication method when the local network went down due to cyclones or coups. At best they proved to be haphazard with connections and quality. Satellites come into view then leave. Weather interference etc etc. I would rather rely on my road trip buddies to apply first aid, then they go for help to the nearest landline/mobile reception area. Call in the chopper if needed. Of course the biggest risk mitigant is the style of driving in the first place. We have some of the best tyres and brakes on the road, plus some focused experience, but you roll the dice at times when the Red Mist descends.
Actually I only had to walk 60 metres to find a landline after driving a couple of kms trying to get the tyre gunk to set. Now I carry a spare wheel so I'll probably never get another puncture or 2 at once like that time. I do like the idea of powerful radios so the front and back of the train can keep in touch. Biggest risk IMO after thousands of kms of b-road drives is other traffic. Tourists on the wrong side of the road, lazy drivers cutting corners and a farm bike crossing the road without looking. It's one reason I always have my lights on. Not convinced of the need for a sat phone although, heaven forbid, if my life or someone else's was in the balance I'd certainly appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:46 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice seeing cars coming into the country for once rather than leaving it http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1183427867.htm
Old 10-17-2016, 05:28 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Walt, nice work. Is it black or blue? I assume S?
Yes, S. Dark Ocean Blue Pearl. Pretty standard spec S, bar the important options (for me anyway, for GT and tow duties) of air suspension, PASM and factory tow bar. Others include full leather dash, colour porche crest wheels, retractable cargo net and blind, glass sun roof. Plus xenons by the looks.

Boot proved big enough to take a big backpack, for (reasonably) fast luxury hitchhiker transport. Soon worked out the secret to folding the back seats forward too, as she did some load hauling coming back. Few more steps than some cars (eg remove headrests), but classy that the leather of the folded rears doesn't get squashed by the load at all.

Wouldn't say no to a RHD version of this S spec though:

Name:  porsche-cayenne-s-transsyberia-06.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  134.3 KB

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-17-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
It's nice seeing cars coming into the country for once rather than leaving it http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1183427867.htm
I think its official. New Zealand cars are now more pricey than the UK. The link I posted today shows this 77,000 km ex Japan 993TT got passed in on Saturday at Silverstone. It now has a buy now of 99K GBP which is 170K NZD today.

Makes 300K for a import Jap 993TT on TM seem speculative?
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2016, 06:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Actually I only had to walk 60 metres to find a landline after driving a couple of kms trying to get the tyre gunk to set. Now I carry a spare wheel so I'll probably never get another puncture or 2 at once like that time. I do like the idea of powerful radios so the front and back of the train can keep in touch. Biggest risk IMO after thousands of kms of b-road drives is other traffic. Tourists on the wrong side of the road, lazy drivers cutting corners and a farm bike crossing the road without looking. It's one reason I always have my lights on. Not convinced of the need for a sat phone although, heaven forbid, if my life or someone else's was in the balance I'd certainly appreciate it.
That was lucky Doug!

We use Inmartsat John. Works a treat as its geostationary MEO (not LOE). Things have come a long way in Sat tech since you were in V 15 years ago. Now phase 4 and 5 constellations launched 2009,2013-2015 so the original phase 2 sats have been de commissioned.

For $450 AUD I can pick up a Inmarsat Isatphone Pro which does GPS positioning, sends GPS and SOS coordinates, data and SMS. The mining industry in Australia had tonnes of these and you can pick new ones up for nix. Not as pretty as a Iridium handset but has better stand by 100-160hrs and talktime (8hrs) and not too bad at 300 grams.

A SIM from Pivotel in NZ is free with $60 one off connection and a base plan of $45 NZD a month - $2 NZD a minute, 60c a txt. If you bring your own phone no contract and stop/start as you like.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This is it, rate plans attached too.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 10-17-2016, 06:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I would rather rely on my road trip buddies to apply first aid, then they go for help to the nearest landline/mobile reception area. Call in the chopper if needed. Of course the biggest risk mitigant is the style of driving in the first place. We have some of the best tyres and brakes on the road, plus some focused experience, but you roll the dice at times when the Red Mist descends.
Remind me to never be tail end charlie again. Ive seen on many runs the tail guy can be forgotten quick time in the heat of the moment driving. If he comes off the road badly hes history!

If its a semi regular thing it needs to be a little better thought out. I dont even know if my fellow drivers carry a First Aid kit in their cars. On that point I sold mine with the 993 (didnt think to remove) so will buy another this evening. A first aid course is handy. Ive been thinking of a commercial idea around driving too so started to talk with the organizers of similar events in Europe to better understand how they organise these things. They use Sat phone and epurbs in the mountains as cellular non existent. I did notice that on Alpes De Maritime and infact I recall driving in the Swiss Alpes and loosing GPS for 30s-60s a time (shadow in valleys).

Anyway for $450 bucks I think its probably a bit of a no brainer.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good spec Walt and nice its a different colour than most. Was always curious as to why the load carrying space was so small in what otherwise is a very large vehicle. Im sure it will serve you well and I cant argue about the value.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?