... so let's drive 'em while we can!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:24 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark

Is this car LHD ?

Originally Posted by Macca
I think its official. New Zealand cars are now more pricey than the UK. The link I posted today shows this 77,000 km ex Japan 993TT got passed in on Saturday at Silverstone. It now has a buy now of 99K GBP which is 170K NZD today.

Makes 300K for a import Jap 993TT on TM seem speculative?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah I think it might be Garry. That said the LHD cars dont have the stigma in UK they have here and that car can be pruchased and registered by a European buyer without issue...
Old 10-18-2016, 05:52 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone think it was too high? Withdrawn within 24 hours
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Anyone think it was too high? Withdrawn within 24 hours
Nothing would surprise me in NZ today. It was a very original example. It would interesting to learn what it sold for....
Old 10-18-2016, 06:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Just thinking about it, it will be interesting to see whether Max buys it for $120K and then re-markets for $160k in 2 months time.
Be funny if Buba nailed it on this prediction...
Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Macca - keen on that first aid kit. I've had a small one in my car since day 1 (and more recently a fire extinguisher), but that kit looks more substantial. Please pass me the sellers details.

Agree on road hazards. The most concerning for me are animals when driving at night, and other drivers. I sometimes feel I'm a bit reserved when it comes to overtaking unknown drivers in that I'll tend to hang back until I have a significant view of the upcoming road. That said when the road is well clear I have no qualms with burying the pedal and eating a hill for breakfast.

I also try to take it easy when there's moss on the road. It has freaked me out more than once so I tend to take it down a notch and just cruise. Is a good chance to relax a little and take in the scenery (ie the Kauri forest last weekend).

PSM stays on for almost all road driving. I trust my driving, but I don't trust the conditions - if I come into a corner too hot and it's unexpectedly covered in moss, fresh cow **** (yes, this will result in breaking traction!), or a really corrugated surface, I would rather have all possible chances of it not causing an event. When I first got the car the PSM light would flash up relatively frequently, but now it barely ever engages. It's fun to throw the car around but I see it not coming on as an improvement in my driving (not driving beyond the limits). Or maybe I'm just slower?

PASM is fantastic. I played with the settings on the DSC for 'Normal' before the last trip, and softened it up a little. Needs refinement as it was too soft when pushing it but it is almost there. In the end I ran my track setup nearly all weekend and it dealt with the road surfaces just fine.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good points Jake. Thats the problem with road driving, every KM can contain something unknown (moss, cow sH*t, animals etc). At the track we know exactly what the situation is at the next corner or braking zone.

I need to do some more work with my DSC next year when I have the car living with me and can just hop in it go for a 30 minute back road drive somewhere close by and then return and make some tweaks etc.

I have emailed you the details for the FA kit...
Old 10-18-2016, 08:22 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for that. 2 kits ordered. One thing I forgot to note on the car travel kit - I also keep a CTEK battery charger in the car at all times. The last thing I want is to be accidentally stranded due to battery issues. I've also recently followed Chris M's lead and purchased a plastic container that fits perfectly in the frunk to hold oil, Rain-X, and a few other things. Might add a bottle of dragons breath for those longer trips...
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks for that. 2 kits ordered. One thing I forgot to note on the car travel kit - I also keep a CTEK battery charger in the car at all times. The last thing I want is to be accidentally stranded due to battery issues. I've also recently followed Chris M's lead and purchased a plastic container that fits perfectly in the frunk to hold oil, Rain-X, and a few other things. Might add a bottle of dragons breath for those longer trips...
No worries. They look really good and some space inside for a few extra bits too. Should squeeze under front seat.

With you in the Ctek. It's always in the 993. Have a Ctek hard wired port in all cars past and present. Great product and works for modern AGM cells.

I have one of those Mobil bags for my 500ml oil but once open those bottles don't deal as you will recall from SITT. I think I'll buy a tough ziplock bag to put the oil in!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Jake, count yourself lucky to have a well protected frunk. After removing the bonnet dents in Herman I run the frunk completely empty to avoid a repeat. I may need to make my own Carbon Fibre box to protect the ABS pipes, pumps etc and still securely store those fluids. I'm still kicking myself for leaving the SRF at home. Thanks to Doug otherwise I would have been driving home with an alarm.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:51 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Macca - keen on that first aid kit. I've had a small one in my car since day 1 (and more recently a fire extinguisher), but that kit looks more substantial. Please pass me the sellers details.

Agree on road hazards. The most concerning for me are animals when driving at night, and other drivers. I sometimes feel I'm a bit reserved when it comes to overtaking unknown drivers in that I'll tend to hang back until I have a significant view of the upcoming road. That said when the road is well clear I have no qualms with burying the pedal and eating a hill for breakfast.

I also try to take it easy when there's moss on the road. It has freaked me out more than once so I tend to take it down a notch and just cruise. Is a good chance to relax a little and take in the scenery (ie the Kauri forest last weekend).

PSM stays on for almost all road driving. I trust my driving, but I don't trust the conditions - if I come into a corner too hot and it's unexpectedly covered in moss, fresh cow **** (yes, this will result in breaking traction!), or a really corrugated surface, I would rather have all possible chances of it not causing an event. When I first got the car the PSM light would flash up relatively frequently, but now it barely ever engages. It's fun to throw the car around but I see it not coming on as an improvement in my driving (not driving beyond the limits). Or maybe I'm just slower?

PASM is fantastic. I played with the settings on the DSC for 'Normal' before the last trip, and softened it up a little. Needs refinement as it was too soft when pushing it but it is almost there. In the end I ran my track setup nearly all weekend and it dealt with the road surfaces just fine.
I just got back from Targa. The challenging roads and conditions - hot, cold, wet, dry are both the attraction and the danger of the event. On the Gentle Annie West stage down hill into Hawkes Bay about 4km from the finish it was very slippery again this year. Some may remember the incar footage from my car last year on this stage. Well this year was worse. The 3 cars in front of me and the 2 cars behind made it thorough ok but all had moments. I had thought last year was an anomaly so hadn't really slowed down much. We had a moment on a quite steep RH downhill curve that switched back left around a cutting with Armco on the outside. The back stepped out on the RH portion so I am looking out the side window at the road dipping off to the left and my car pointing right with opp lock on. I have to get off the brake and get some gas on quick otherwise the car is going to spin. The car then snaps back the other way but I need to go left anyway so once I wind off the lock its basically pointing straight. The next 500m is really mushy trying to just steer and keep the car on the road - had to be oil or coolant because the Andrew Sims Evo 10, the Brent Early 2 time targa winning R34 (in Joe McAndrews hands), and the Chris West AP4 Mirage rally car all crash and sustain damage that takes them out of the rally.

No footage this year because the cam froze and needed rebooting unfortunately. Other than this incident no other issues and I had a clean rally never off the blacktop.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

forgot to say when the 99 car tail sweeping came through it too spun and nosed into the foliage and the medic ute SUV following it also slid off but able to drive back on.

the only thing that saved the other following cars that were racing was the crew from crashed cars by them running up the road to slow them down. Dippie in the RS told me he was saved by arm waving warnings
Old 10-19-2016, 12:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Nothing would surprise me in NZ today. It was a very original example. It would interesting to learn what it sold for....

Yes - with Kiwi now at 0.58 - it just gets better.

Our cars are still cheap compared to Aussie:

All 8/10 cars or better, but:

SC's circa $100K

993/964/3.2/C3 all around $140K for man C2's.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:07 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
I just got back from Targa. The challenging roads and conditions - hot, cold, wet, dry are both the attraction and the danger of the event. On the Gentle Annie West stage down hill into Hawkes Bay about 4km from the finish it was very slippery again this year. Some may remember the incar footage from my car last year on this stage. Well this year was worse. The 3 cars in front of me and the 2 cars behind made it thorough ok but all had moments. I had thought last year was an anomaly so hadn't really slowed down much. We had a moment on a quite steep RH downhill curve that switched back left around a cutting with Armco on the outside. The back stepped out on the RH portion so I am looking out the side window at the road dipping off to the left and my car pointing right with opp lock on. I have to get off the brake and get some gas on quick otherwise the car is going to spin. The car then snaps back the other way but I need to go left anyway so once I wind off the lock its basically pointing straight. The next 500m is really mushy trying to just steer and keep the car on the road - had to be oil or coolant because the Andrew Sims Evo 10, the Brent Early 2 time targa winning R34 (in Joe McAndrews hands), and the Chris West AP4 Mirage rally car all crash and sustain damage that takes them out of the rally.

No footage this year because the cam froze and needed rebooting unfortunately. Other than this incident no other issues and I had a clean rally never off the blacktop...

...forgot to say when the 99 car tail sweeping came through it too spun and nosed into the foliage and the medic ute SUV following it also slid off but able to drive back on.

the only thing that saved the other following cars that were racing was the crew from crashed cars by them running up the road to slow them down. Dippie in the RS told me he was saved by arm waving warnings
Wow Graeme - thanks for your report. The Bermuda Triangle of Targa corners by the looks of it. Sounds like skill and luck were both on your side this year when most needed - good save.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?