Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Great footage Graeme!

EXACTLY four weeks today and we will all be in the car driving to Fielding for leg 1 of the 4th Rennsport Gruppe North Island Track Tour!!!
Thx Macca, looking fwd to NITT,
This years Tour was the largest collection of interesting cars yet and a big field. Would have suited RSG members. Be interesting to see what Leongs comments are in hindsight. ie Whether the big field made it better or not.
Lots of Giltrap cars - plenty of Aston, Lambo, (Rod Drury had a brand new one picked up the prior week), McLarens.

Got 2 more good stages to post later. One wet from day 2 and the last stage into Havelock Nth.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe. Ready to go racing?
Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Thx Macca, looking fwd to NITT,
This years Tour was the largest collection of interesting cars yet and a big field. Would have suited RSG members. Be interesting to see what Leongs comments are in hindsight. ie Whether the big field made it better or not.
Lots of Giltrap cars - plenty of Aston, Lambo, (Rod Drury had a brand new one picked up the prior week), McLarens.

Got 2 more good stages to post later. One wet from day 2 and the last stage into Havelock Nth.
Yes, massive field. Probably too big...

Leongs decided he will only do 2-3 day events moving forward. Combination of things including time out of work, but I think he found the pace this year a bit disappointing after last year. The size of the field would have had something to do with this. Also it never seems quite as fast in Tour the second time around IMO. Numbers have swelled with Giltraps as sponsor and Auckland property cash awash...good for the competition side tho.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Pretty much John, but I'm not sure what you mean by "then raising the suspension". As far as the process goes, there may be a better one but here's mine anyway for using the highest setting for the ATF level check and top up:

1) Have Cayenne running for say 30 secs to a minute or so to ensure air pressure in the pressure reservoir has been fully topped up.

2) Drive it forward/backward maybe a foot or so (perhaps sufficient to just toggle it in and out of drive? - Porsche seem to have locked out the lifting function when car has just started and is still stationary, probably to prevent accidentally wedging the car under something before driving off?). It looks like the car just needs to know that the driver has moved it before it will do it.

3) Hit the 'increase ride height' toggle twice to select Special Terrain Mode. The Cayenne will start lifting, and the instrument panel shows when that's finished, some 10-20 sec later.

4) Place the axle stands and go to work.

Now in the case of checking and topping off the tranny fluid, the engine needs to be left running so I'm not worried about settling as the car actively maintains its level, so I just put the axle stands under the jack points as security. If the engine was going to be turned off for a longish period then I'd want to make sure I could later get a jack under those points so it could be lifted to remove the axle stands afterwards (because the car seems to need to move a bit to allow lifting, it mightn't lift itself - unless it just automatically resumes the last set level?).

I normally read the driver's manual the day I buy a car but this time I'm yet to RTFM (well that driver's one anyway). But it's in the glovebox and I know from the allroad already that lifting an air suspended car by external means requires the air suspension be in lift mode first.

Kind of enjoying the organic discovery process this time though to be fair. Yesterday I discovered that working aircon is as simple as not pushing the Econ button, and that engaging Offroad modes 1 and 2 are as simple as being in Neutral with my foot on the brake when selecting them. Plus discovered the on board computer controls. Was also cool a while back finding an inbuilt air hose under the back seat. Guess that means its easy to drop tyre pressures for say sand, then raise them again afterwards before hitting the road again.

Will need to look into wheel alignment soon as even just the trip back from Rotorua visibly ate away at the shoulders.
So when on jack stands you can select normal height and it retracts the cars wheels off the ground?

Never knew there was a hose under the back seat. Then again it took a while to realise the boot glass releases separately.

We just drive at normal motorway speeds in it and relax. Sounds like you have a very different pattern of use.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:55 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
So when on jack stands you can select normal height and it retracts the cars wheels off the ground?

Never knew there was a hose under the back seat. Then again it took a while to realise the boot glass releases separately.

We just drive at normal motorway speeds in it and relax. Sounds like you have a very different pattern of use.
No, it wont retract the suspension up off the ground. But per the manual that is not needed anyway for the ATF, provided its been run through the gears gently prior and not switched off (round the block a few times, going up and down through the gears at low load) . Wish it could lift its wheels though - how easy would that make it to swap on and off-road wheels sets?

90% plus of her use is the same as yours, just shuttling me up and down the motorway to the office (a few spirited corners aside maybe). But on B- roads the Cayenne obliges, if I'm not driving the Turbo.

The fronts look to be wearing pretty evenly. The rears are fine on the inside but the outer shoulder is bearing the brunt and could do with a fair bit more negative camber by the looks:

Name:  CayenneS rear shoulder wear.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  339.1 KB

Close up of the left rear looking backwards:

Name:  CayenneS rear shoulder wear looking backwards.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  255.1 KB

As you might surmise from the double wear strips, they'd already started a milder version of that wear pattern when I collected her, but the shoulder grooves were still showing fully then.

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-20-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ive oft been told if you drive the Cayenne aggressively it will eat tyres for breakfast. Stefan at Hazlers claims bald tyres on Cayennes as by far number one cause of panel work claims...these days I guess they just write them off as their market value is far lower than the cost of repairs using OEM panels and parts...
Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

After 27,000km of our use (used tyres when bought but close to new) we have a slight shoulder rub off on the front left tyre (pictured). My wife's lack of spatial awareness is more expensive on the wheels. Luckily Chris B bought a set on Trademe which I'm buying, rather than refurb these. I'll put Hankooks on them. Very reasonable. Pads are holding out well also.

FWIW I would be very upset if the car got written off. Ours is sorted and i intend to run it until I have a major maintenance issue. Hopefully somewhere after 300,000 km. I only have 127,000 Km now so It might last for all my driving days.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2016, 12:04 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

After 27,000km of our use (used tyres when bought but close to new) we have a slight shoulder rub off on the front left tyre (pictured).
Nice mileage. I remember tyres lasting me better back in the 90s, though even my brand new company Galant ate a set in 35K (which was four and a half months worth of driving back then). The Cayenne's just been doing Cayenny things today though:

Name:  Cayenny things.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  260.2 KB
Old 10-21-2016, 12:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Nice mileage. I remember tyres lasting me better back in the 90s, though even my brand new company Galant ate a set in 35K (which was four and a half months worth of driving back then). The Cayenne's just been doing Cayenny things today though:

Attachment 1100321
Great, I had concerns for the Grinch if Trump won and Christopher felt the need to burn something
Old 10-21-2016, 12:48 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Great, I had concerns for the Grinch if Trump won and Christopher felt the need to burn something

She seems to have had a seatectomy, which made it moderately exciting pushing her back off the trailer at the other end without having to get a second vehicle panel beaten as it was all on a slope. She had two seats, but just not attached. Getting her off the trailer with her brakeectomy meant having her in reverse with the clutch pushed down as insurance, while suddenly whacking on the handbrake to stop her within a few feet of another client's vehicle, while my seat kept going a bit further.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

She seems to have had a seatectomy, which made it moderately exciting pushing her back off the trailer at the other end without having to get a second vehicle panel beaten as it was all on a slope. She had two seats, but just not attached. Getting her off the trailer with her brakeectomy meant having her in reverse with the clutch pushed down as insurance, while suddenly whacking on the handbrake to stop her within a few feet of another client's vehicle, while my seat kept going a bit further.
With a leaking roof patch the racing seat was absolutely sodden when we shifted it from HD, so Doug took it home for drying out. He has the harness as well. Once you have the body done, we need to sit down as a group and decide how to sort all of this out. Read - how to get as many $ back from selling items.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone keen for a drive on Sunday morning? Happy to do an air cooled or water cooled run.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Keen.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:20 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
I see Dom & Nigel Kay are waitlisted in a 944S2, did they pick up the gold one off tm?
I was driving behind them on the way back from shore yesterday. It was a gold one so I'm presuming the deal worked out.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Keen.
Cool - maybe we go to Raglan for a coffee?

Dave - are you in?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?