Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
OK.

Here is the work up on the 2017 Cayman S 718.

Ive specced two cars the same and added the NZ base spec to the UK spec then for both cars added leather, sports chassis and a few important options which I think are necessary to make the car attractive to a buyer, nothing crazy mind you.

NZ car comes out Retail $160,000 NZD + ORC (2K?). Maybe you get a small discount of you ask. Lead time 4-5 months estimated.

UK car same spec comes to 61,000 GBP. Using my well devloped import spreadsheet and allowing a 2K GBP "brokers fee" or managing the VAT qualifying part, shipped in 20" LCL and incluing GST ant full value plus shipping and covering all ORC and compliance costs the final comes to approx 115,000 NZD (exchange rate dependent but for safety here I used 0.56 for purchase and 0.545 for customs).

So the savings is 23% over NZ retail. 37K divided by 162K.

Borderline viable unless you want to won and drive a UK new import Cayman 718 S with some options depreciation free for 12 months...

Porsche config spec sheets attached for comparative purchases. Note I did this fairly quickly so there may be a few smaller options I missed out.
Here's one for you Macca. A 997.2 carrera at late 30's GBP, non VAT. What would that land for?
I'm not buying, still trying to hang onto the SC whilst the Reno extra's build up. Deciding between selling the SC or equities, have to try to back the winner. The SC has performed well here since I've owned it. Money is still cheap but not really interested in going to the bank so decision time is coming with what has to go. Mild panic yesterday morning when the builder delivered the budget news for the extra's and almost panicked and unloaded a bundle of NZ stocks but it turned out being a good day for the market!!!! Buggered if I know.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Macca, could you talk Jo into a slightly used Golf? Their depreciation is horrendous, and there's little difference from the MK6~.

Also, what about a BMW 1 series?
I was on for a new GTI, but as Macca said, with all the things I wanted (leather and xenons and DCC) it was just too much. Managed to find a used one that an Asian guy specced up with everything and it set him back $72k and a massive hit for him when selling. I wanted new, but very happy waiting for the right used one to appear and I'm probably only about 3-5k down after nearly 1 year of ownership. Should track at about 5-7k PA from here.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:29 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

You'd be looking at a little under $55k for the 997.2 Dave. I think you're onto something though - whilst there's more players in that band, I think the margins are better on the slightly older, non VAT cars.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You'd be looking at a little under $55k for the 997.2 Dave. I think you're onto something though - whilst there's more players in that band, I think the margins are better on the slightly older, non VAT cars.
There is no VAT recovery on a car this old, so will be more like $70-80K for a quality car?

I really like the 7.2's - a nice man C2 could be a fun car for a while.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:59 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Greetings strangers.. just back from month in Sth Africa, fascinating but like living in a fortress. Not for me
After selling the 996T I needed a head transplant.. miss it lots
Nearly impulse bought a new Focus RS like Macca, but then decided it was just a Ford so opted not to. Still don't know what to do.. might go back to an A6 RS again.
Just wasted a morning reading all the RSG BS since I left.. good to see it has gone back to a chat site with much variety.
If going North, pop in a see us at Orewa.
Jake.. I might need to take you up on your offer, especially now the T has clear lungs..
Good to hear from you Phil. Why don't you just succumb to your remorse and get another Turbo??
You shaming my main sail last summer has had me pull the trigger on a new one you big bully. Goes on today with new canvas on order too. You out on the water this summer?
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, I know your view on Facebook, however I don’t think it’s killed anything. For example, right now some RSG members are planning this weekend’s road trip on FB Messenger. All interactive and hidden from Tania’s prying eyes. A perfect medium for that. It’s just a tool not a religious movement!
Agree, FB has its strengths but which secret handshake is required to get on the Messenger dist list for weekend B road drives?
Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pel
Between Dave, Doug, Mark, Brendon, Chris, Sam, Jason, yourself & I, air cooled group has a good pool, provided we get 50% sign up. There's plenty of other air cooled cars/owners however for most air cooled owners it's not track performance that's the attraction, the "red mist" air cooled owner is shrinking, I think Pauls SC was a high 18, I don't think Craig has pushed it below 26, understandable as these cars are viewed as investments or at least depreciation proof if looked after nowadays. Keen to keep running the SC provided we keep getting the numbers, the hairpins at Taupo are tricky in the SC, not enough torque for 3rd but too fast for 2nd, need to hook the aim up to see which works best.
Since HDs became less accessible I find it difficult to commit to what is essentially a full weekend away at Taupo. If HDs came back on the menu more often I'd be able to get along but it doesn't look like that is changing much in the near future? I think this keeps the occasional indulger away and makes it hard to grow the group beyond the hard core committed.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you Jason, its also a 1000k round trip, would love to have you on this weekends drive!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Here's one for you Macca. A 997.2 carrera at late 30's GBP, non VAT. What would that land for?
I'm not buying, still trying to hang onto the SC whilst the Reno extra's build up. Deciding between selling the SC or equities, have to try to back the winner. The SC has performed well here since I've owned it. Money is still cheap but not really interested in going to the bank so decision time is coming with what has to go. Mild panic yesterday morning when the builder delivered the budget news for the extra's and almost panicked and unloaded a bundle of NZ stocks but it turned out being a good day for the market!!!! Buggered if I know.
Paul is right.

OK. WEe assume a high 30K GBP is non VAT Qualifying (almost certainly the case). If we say 38K GBP is the strike price then add 2K GBP for shipping and insurance and $500 GBP to have it trailer ed to a port we are talking 40500 GBP. If we buy FX at 0.57 net today then that gives us 71K NZD FOB. NZ Customs will want 15% GST on the cost plus freight at their calculation and will use likely a less favorable rate (0.55 for example). 11,100 in GST. Now we have Port charges MAF, moving the container, getting the car to compliance and compliance plus first time registration charges etc. Assuming the car passes without issue (difficult for an older car as they are really strict on this these days) then add 2K NZD.

So the final answer is $84K NZD approximately but I think best to round that up by a few grand for fudge.

If you want the quickest dirties guide when looking at UK car prices online the divide the retail price being asked by 0.51 for a landed price (assumes car is VAT Qualifying) and 0.41 if its non VAT qualifying. This works fairly accurately for cars 30K-80K GBP.

Keep the good ideas coming. Ive looked at Cayennes, Maccans, Caymans, 911s - I can only make brand new cars work but wait lists are too long and add risk to FX and UK retail price moves. Anything else I can only seem to find low 20% margin but that over NZ equivalent pricing - to move a second car on quickly I need to be super competitive but still need to target 15% margin to cover mishaps and make it worth the effort and risk.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:49 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you wind up speccing up a GTI you aren't far off a Golf R and then it's easy to fall down that slope! That's what happened to me in the end when I started looking for a GTI, wound up with an R. Bought the ex-staff/demo car from Conti's though so it was pretty specced up but a decent discount from list, the only thing it is missing is keyless entry and a sunroof (which pretty much no one orders these days but I like).

Used R's look like a pretty good deal (meaning I will still be taking a decent hit it seems), this one has some tasty mods. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1174328702.htm
Old 10-13-2016, 05:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I think we might need to do 'dawn raids' - i.e. meet at 7am and do a Woodcock Rd or Raglan run for morning coffee, and be home for lunch (and afternoon chores)

Are there more takers for these?

Just thinking about it, this is just a Ron's Run with another name??

But I am still keen to do them.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im not sure on that Jake. High 30s GBP private sale non VAT car in UK is 84K landed.

Right now NZ cars are pretty well priced - most are remnants form the last time the NZD was high, and soon we will have similar priced stock from GBP being low. For the effort required a NZ used ex GB car is a much safer purchasing proposition as you can have it inspected in front of you on a hoist!

As was always the case in my analysis the value is with new or very near new cars that are VAT qualifying. Think GT4, or getting on the list for something before it launches etc. With all the newly minted in NZ Im surprised there hasnt been more of a demand, but Im guessing people have made money so easily and quickly they have just got lazy, gone to the dealer and ordered NZ new at RRP. Im not sure they are even haggling with the local dealers these days (you can get small discounts off buying a new Porsche I have negotiated them before myself). Remember option on NZ new Porsche are priced at over 2.5x the UK options list price ex VAT! When the currency suggest more like 1.6. When I bought my GT3 I was at the track and I heard Richard saying to someone looking at my car that my seats (which came "free" with cage and extinguisher and harness) were a 9K NZD option (I think in reality they were $8500). I paid 2800 Euro plus GST (15%) from the European dealer for that option (at the time 5K NZD including GST). Big difference when you start speccing up a Porsche. If NZ dealers could reduce their options prices by 45% in line with Euro/US/UK dealers then they would likely arrest the arbitrage almost immediately. This is super margin I think for PAG or the dealers I know not which....
Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I think we might need to do 'dawn raids' - i.e. meet at 7am and do a Woodcock Rd or Raglan run for morning coffee, and be home for lunch (and afternoon chores)

Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Yes, it's a Ron's Run by another name. Nothing wrong with that though and there’s nothing stopping you organising runs or coercing Doug et al to do it for you.

While this weekend’s run is not great timing for me (next two weekends are in Aus), I like the fact that it has a unique purpose, requires a commitment and is social. Perhaps (unfair assumption on my part) those early morning runs have more flaky commitments based on weather, planet position, previous night partying etc. They also tend to repeat the same runs. Horses for courses.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion Macca re UK pricing. Even if not seeking arbitrage on imports its certainly an interesting discussion for someone looking to keep the car. New 911s are out of my price point and i've been looking at 7.2's around the magic 40k GBP mark. The only real datapoint in NZ i have for a manual 7.2 is the recent(ish) sale of that red X51 7.2 at CCS around 120k NZD its difficult to note any real saving as that was a unique car. My spreadsheet has a 40k GBP car landed at around 86k NZD. That price point in the UK will get a manual, sub 50km C2 (maybe C2S if you haggle) and you are quick off the mark. Low mileage C4s a bit more. At 86k NZD (or a little more) what could get locally?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?