Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Between Dave, Doug, Mark, Brendon, Chris, Sam, Jason, yourself & I, air cooled group has a good pool, provided we get 50% sign up. There's plenty of other air cooled cars/owners however for most air cooled owners it's not track performance that's the attraction, the "red mist" air cooled owner is shrinking, I think Pauls SC was a high 18, I don't think Craig has pushed it below 26, understandable as these cars are viewed as investments or at least depreciation proof if looked after nowadays. Keen to keep running the SC provided we keep getting the numbers, the hairpins at Taupo are tricky in the SC, not enough torque for 3rd but too fast for 2nd, need to hook the aim up to see which works best.
I checked the NITT numbers and if we include a few of the slower water pumpers we are sitting at about 10 cars in a slower/'air-cooled' group. Any fewer and we'd probably end up with a higher speed differential group, where my interest starts to wane. Agree that the 'red mist' air cooled group is shrinking and unless we encourage the more relaxed owners to keep on attending I suspect the events will be dominated by faster water pumpers in future years. Nothing wrong with that, just not my thing.

Last edited by John McM; 10-12-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I checked the NITT numbers and if we include a few of the slower water pumpers we are sitting at about 10 cars in an 'air-cooled' group. Any fewer and we'd probably end up with a more mixed group, where my interest starts to wane (probably just go for the road trip). Agree that the 'red mist' air cooled group is shrinking and unless we encourage the more relaxed owners to keep on attending I suspect it will struggle in future years. Maybe that will be the time to enter my Cayenne in the water pumper group? Try getting past that in the corners. Actually, there are enough Cayennes in the group for their own group, truck racing anyone?

The fastest drivers tend to migrate to faster cars over time John, it's just a natural order ;-p. Competitive people and all that.

I'm not sure what all the weird "must be in that group or this" thing is these days.

First few years of RSG I was in air cooled 993 and I don't recall this being an issue. In fact SITT 2014 and 2015 were great examples how 15 cars of various speed and pedigree can mix it up just fine on track.

I just love chasing things on track, I don't care if it's being cooled by water or by oil, but I do respect and admire a well driven car regardless...

Anyway, you know my view. Facebook killed it lol!!

Have you seen Peter Stouts new Porsche magazine "000". Just being launched. Looks very very slick and a bit exclusive. No digital copy just good old fashioned paper. Suggest a few of the air cooled guys buy a sub!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
On the cab front - this would have been my dream garage as a 10 yr old, it was a great movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYmgLO16ul0

Got the red one, just need to work on getting the black one.........
Wow, thanks Paul. Stunt driving as she is meant to be done - a true master at work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carey_Loftin

http://mycarquest.com/2013/04/carey-...rive-fast.html
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings strangers.. just back from month in Sth Africa, fascinating but like living in a fortress. Not for me
After selling the 996T I needed a head transplant.. miss it lots
Nearly impulse bought a new Focus RS like Macca, but then decided it was just a Ford so opted not to. Still don't know what to do.. might go back to an A6 RS again.
Just wasted a morning reading all the RSG BS since I left.. good to see it has gone back to a chat site with much variety.
If going North, pop in a see us at Orewa.
Jake.. I might need to take you up on your offer, especially now the T has clear lungs..
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Greetings strangers.. just back from month in Sth Africa, fascinating but like living in a fortress. Not for me
After selling the 996T I needed a head transplant.. miss it lots
Nearly impulse bought a new Focus RS like Macca, but then decided it was just a Ford so opted not to. Still don't know what to do.. might go back to an A6 RS again.
Just wasted a morning reading all the RSG BS since I left.. good to see it has gone back to a chat site with much variety.
If going North, pop in a see us at Orewa.
Jake.. I might need to take you up on your offer, especially now the T has clear lungs..
Phil. Welcome back! Ill come visit in November.

Your mate with the metallic grey Focus RS now has it on TM for 84K following some of the recent dealer hikes LOL! I thought 69K was too much for a Ford but the market seems to have a mind of its own.

I have been looking at options to put in the container with the Alfa Giulia QV to offset the costs and fees etc.

This is my latest thought. If I could land and sell this in NZ for 95K I wonder if it would work? Its not a bad car to get stuck with for a few months either I guess.

I value all input good or bad - probably need talking out of it etc

If it gets the collective nod the next questions would be Coupe or Spider? It will arrive in late Feb Im guessing...
Attached Images    
Old 10-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macca
If it gets the collective nod the next questions would be Coupe or Spider? It will arrive in late Feb Im guessing...
I can't offer much input, but went to a track day earlier in the year and a white coupe was out doing laps, and dam it looked good. Very cool little (but WIDE) cars!

How do things like warranties get affected by bringing it in from overseas? Is there a global type deal? Or if you had an issue, would you need to take it back to the country of origin?

Just curious!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's Petes new magazine. Look him up. Hes hangs out over on the GT3 forum is how we know him. Hes been a Porsche Journalist for years...

http://www.000magazine.com/the-magazine#page-1
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I really like these Macca, so not the right person to talk you out of it. Needs to be a good margin in it to not lose $$ though. Could be hard to move a grey market one.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:59 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Here's Petes new magazine. Look him up. Hes hangs out over on the GT3 forum is how we know him. Hes been a Porsche Journalist for years...

http://www.000magazine.com/the-magazine#page-1
Beautiful photos Macca, but would need to see a sample of the essays.

I gave up on Total 911 and 911 & P World etc. as the stories are too light-weight and factually incorrect.

I do really enjoy reeading Pcar magazines, but the essays need to be something special, not just pretty pic's

(A bit like Playboy )
Old 10-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Not sure if a Cayman is on the cards Macca?

There seems to be a MASSIVE difference in retail pricing on them ex UK?

Cayman S in Manual:
from £ 48,834.00 incl. VAT ($86500nzd ish)

vs

From NZ$ 148,500.00 incl. 15% GST

No doubt you've looked at all options though......
Old 10-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree regards the magazine Paul. Ive given up all my subs on the Porsche magazines now, just regurgitated stories often between publications, lots of content on stuff Im not interested in, too many advertisements, poor journalism (Total 911 one of the worse).

The only publication I have recently renewed for a further two years is EVO. Ive been getting these since issue #1 in 1998 and I still enjoy the journalism and content, plus a few of the reviewers such as Meaden and Bovington actually know how to wheel a car and participate often in race series etc.

As for the 4C, yes Ive been a fan since the get go even though the reviews on the early cars weren't great. Drop dead looking car with CF tub and cool interior/exterior, 890kg with a 4.5s 0-100 is interesting. Im looking to offset the fees and freight for both cars so would be happy with a 15K margin for a quick sale on this. Im yet to determine if its viable but first glance suggests if it can be sold for no less than 95K NZD on TM then its workable. Current retail ranges from 118K second hand to 139K demo kms. It may be tight, but as I say its not a bad car to get stuck with for a couple of months?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Last edited by Chris_chch; 10-12-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: doubled
Old 10-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Not sure if a Cayman is on the cards Macca?

There seems to be a MASSIVE difference in retail pricing on them ex UK?

Cayman S in Manual:
from £ 48,834.00 incl. VAT ($86500nzd ish)

vs

From NZ$ 148,500.00 incl. 15% GST

No doubt you've looked at all options though......
Thanks for your input. These are the types of ideas I need.

To be perfectly honest I haven't looked at them. However Ive looked at new 911S and Macan S.

The problem is that buying new means a wait list in the UK for the more popular models or paying a premium. Also having spent hours on the configurator you need to be aware that to even spec to NZ base you are generally looking at adding 8-9000 GBP of options.

For example. A maca S (petrol) lists at 45950 GBP. But by the time you bring it to NZ base spec plus a few more options to get it to NZ typical dealer demo stock spec (for competitive resale in NZ market) you are looking at 56K GBP. Around 108K landed. NZ retail for same car would be around $135K NZD. The UK car would have MPH physical speedo and 2 years warranty rather than 3 in NZ.

The Macan S is the best working example I can find. The demand is there for the cars and the delta between import and new is around 27K NZD. So it conforms to the typical 25% difference between NZ and UK retail Porsche prices. This is the minimum savings I believe is viable and is consistent with prior experiences and recent ones (Alfa Giulia).

This works fine if you actually want the Macan S for yourself. However to sell on for profit you would have to discount to $120-122K and that would offer only $12-14K profit which is not really enough for the size of the transaction and the risk in place. If you are doing it for a living and can move one a month then all good...

The biggest problem with the Macan and other Porsche stock is the wait lists in teh UK.

The BMW M2 works best of all. The standard car in UK is almost identical to NZ in spec and there arent many additional options you can choose. However, again, the 9+ month wait list kills it unless its a care for you.

Ill run the number sup on the Cayman today and see where that goes...
Old 10-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Interesting stuff!

I already see some pretty sharply priced M2's on Trademe... Its a crazy game out there!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Interesting stuff!

I already see some pretty sharply priced M2's on Trademe... Its a crazy game out there!
List price for NZ for M2 is 115K + ORC. 117K approx all up. There really are no signifact options you can choose on teh standard order books.

UK car of same spec as above NZ car but with Manual as opposed to DCT (NZ cars are not standard with MT but rather DCT) would be $85K NZD landed and on road. That's 45.5K inc VAT (subtract VAt, add shipping and insurance and GST and local compliance charges).

At 35% savings approx (around 20% if you are looking for DCT) this is the best "yield" model Ive located yet new.

As I said the problem is you cant get them and if you can they have been marked up.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?