Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:55 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
964 Tipo Coupe sold at $52,500 in 24 hours as well. As much as this is a love/hate exercise I feel like having a stab at 964 prices. The 993 owners can do their own!

Asia new:
  • Tipo Coupe ~ $50,000
  • C4 Coupe ~ $60,000
  • C2 Coupe ~ $70,000
[LIST][*]NZ New add $5,000[*]UK new deduct $5,000[*]Cab deduct $10,000[*]Targa deduct $5,000[*]Sports suspension add $5,000.[*]LHD deduct $5,000.
Turbo 3.3?
Turbo 3.6?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 964X33
Turbo 3.3?
Turbo 3.6?
No idea, but a straight Turbo 3.6 with correct parts i.e. Speedlines has got to be a minimum of $180,000, if you could find one. More likely $200,000. Turbo 3.3 is anyone's guess, but maybe $40,000 to $50,000 less now. I really don't know.

After looking at the Targa this weekend I became disillusioned. I now know I can't live with a sub par 964 and I reason that what I bid for that car would get me into a Tipo Cayman S (gen 1) without $15,000 of work to do. Maybe a new IMS and I'm set. Then there's the Cayenne love. They are great machines as well for a cruising machine.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Which falls faster, a tonne of feathers or a tonne of bricks?
If you have been to New York, you will know a US minute is about 30s NZ
In Auckland, a tonne of bricks doesn't fall, it rises...
Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Hi all I think this has been covered previously, but who to use for new windscreen??.. got assaulted just out of ChCh on the way back from SITT. only damage other than to my pride, on the whole trip
Phil, take it to CCS or Giltraps and get the quote from them. I know at least with CCS, that they sell the parts but subcontract out the fitting, but I feel more comfortable with OE glass that they supply, which may not be the case with generic windscreen places. FWIW I was told to choose my own supplier for insurance purposes.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave. I think you need to consider lifting your cover to at least 75k personally.

John, I think your numbers look a little high but not too far out of ball park.

The market in the UK that has been driving much of this appears to be softening?

The 993 manual sold in 15 minutes for 60k was a steal. That was an 80k car.

John if you are focussed on a tipi why not approach members in the group. There are two I believe may be for sale in the future that are known cars. I think a few are looking at housing projects or 997 c2s.

After the tour I think we all realised the car for sale out there that is closest to doing the business is the Cayman R Pete has - private sake. I believe there will be slot of "wish is got that when it was available" talk about that one in years to come. Chris M continues to prove a well driven 997 Carrera S can be almost as fast as a Turbo on a NZ track and Jake continues to demonstrate that a 997 turbo in road trim can be a devastating weapon on or off the track!

Choose your poison but IMO the value isn't in a scrappy tipo 964 at 50k. There will no doubt be a chicken licken moment for this market too.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Apologies spelling in bed Taupo H On iPhone lol!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:37 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Apologies spelling in bed Taupo H On iPhone lol!
Originally Posted by Macca
...closest to doing the business is the Cayman R Pete has - private sake.
Pity - had visions of 'Private Sake' Pete drinking the South Island clear of the stuff!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I'm open to insights from others. There are a few more data points than usual so I think it's close even at the NZ new C2 level.

What is still interesting is the relatively poor condition of the 964s that have been up for public sale. Has Trademe become the sale method of choice for lesser examples? I don't know.

As for the 964 Tipo strategy, as I've said to others it is flawed and have abandoned it. My thought was to bottom fish for one that has been looked after but have discovered that they are just as poorly maintained at my price point as the manuals and it makes no sense because tidy up costs are the same. I'm not a buyer at $50,000 plus and I'm not insulting N8 etc with low ball prices.

Focus now is on a Gen 1 Cayman Tipo or moving to a Gen 2 Cayenne. The latter makes a lot of sense as we love them more than we thought. One thing I'm not doing is looking for a track rat. I can't even manage to get the Integras to the track now with my crazy work travel schedule.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love seeing these big winged RWB's etc getting thrashed around en-mass

Old 03-21-2016, 06:46 PM
PHG
Racer

how long you in Ak for, Mark ?
Glenda suggests you and Jo pop up to Orewa for a tipple if you have time
Old 03-21-2016, 06:48 PM
PHG
Racer

Thanks John
I have booked it in to Gillies, my thinking was the same as yours.. might as well get the genuine article
Old 03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
In Auckland, a tonne of bricks doesn't fall, it rises...
In Northland, a tonne of bricks stays on the pallet... or goes elsewhere after a while!!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, I'm open to insights from others. There are a few more data points than usual so I think it's close even at the NZ new C2 level. What is still interesting is the relatively poor condition of the 964s that have been up for public sale. Has Trademe become the sale method of choice for lesser examples? I don't know. As for the 964 Tipo strategy, as I've said to others it is flawed and have abandoned it. My thought was to bottom fish for one that has been looked after but have discovered that they are just as poorly maintained at my price point as the manuals and it makes no sense because tidy up costs are the same. I'm not a buyer at $50,000 plus and I'm not insulting N8 etc with low ball prices. Focus now is on a Gen 1 Cayman Tipo or moving to a Gen 2 Cayenne. The latter makes a lot of sense as we love them more than we thought. One thing I'm not doing is looking for a track rat. I can't even manage to get the Integras to the track now with my crazy work travel schedule.
Right you are John and I concur with all your observations and conclusions above. My views in your valuation strategy are that you are pretty much on the money given the lack of significant volume market data to create a definitive trend.

The market still does not seem to reflect the value of deferred maintenance, nor worthwhile upgrades and modifications instead favouring price and mileage. Country of origin seems to reflect little too IMO. It's symptomatic of an uneducated buying public making a purchasing decision on fashion and hype rather than from an enthusiast perspective. I think this is what is giving the UK market flutters right now with the "investors" mostly spent on sometimes questionable history cars sight unseen, it now appears the enthusiasts are starting to wrestle the ball away creating a dip or correction (not yet a bubble burst - maybe britex will provide some direction here mid year if the GBP should decouple from the Euro currency matrix). Any which way a soft landing is probably more likely. Cheap cash is cyclic so will always flush out the investment asset class types medium term...,

As for the what next, the Cayenne idea sounds reasonable. You've done the Cayman thing and started high up the tree, can't help but think any other variant will seem like half the car even if it's half the money, with little respite on residuals compared to the R which is likely to enjoy the coat tails of the GT4 over the next few years.

Having completed almost 5000 km and 4 track days in the GT3 with the DSC module and with another 1000 km road and two track days to complete in the next 10 days prior departure I'm very confident there is a place for modern machinery in the garage and the latest GT3/4 iterations are closer than I would ever imagined for a car that can cover all bases. I could definitely live with mine as a DD (no kids or work traffic however).

As for Tardme - well it really is the only public sales forum, but I suspect as many cars are moving privately in advertised or through dealer black books....
Old 03-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
In Northland, a tonne of bricks stays on the pallet... or goes elsewhere after a while!!
Phil, will be in touch. We are around another 2 weeks almost...
Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I recently had a private offer for mine which was very tempting. Looking at the numbers J McM proposed it seems it wasn't far off the mark. I ummed and arhed for some time but really don't know if I could through with it. Not so much the $'s but the question of what would I replace it with. I

On other notes I've had the surface rust taken care of in the frunk, new front drop links, a new sunroof seal and the mounts for the buckets tarted up as it was a bit of a rush job when first installed. Thanks to John K for all his excellent work. Ninemeister have just released a new batch of diff lock seals for the c4. Will be replacing those along with some minor sunroom parts in due course

p.s. Jason: I would always pass it by you first mate

Last edited by pcarplayer; 03-21-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?