Originally Posted by peterC2S
Slightly different class (and colour) of car for this afternoon's run..."
Pics
Attached Images      
Old 09-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great work Pete & Co. Perfect vehicle to learn laps in. What do they run for the afternoon?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Great work Pete & Co. Perfect vehicle to learn laps in. What do they run for the afternoon?
NZD 600 for the first lap and NZD 125 for each subsequent lap. That's with full insurance, petrol and lap tickets.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
NZD 600 for the first lap and NZD 125 for each subsequent lap. That's with full insurance, petrol and lap tickets.
Seems reasonable John given its about $50 entry ticket per lap when you bring your own. 5-6 laps is probably plenty when you consider we only get around 90 mins driving time for a full day at the track in NZ...
Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

They even give you a RHD car too!

Once you've done a few laps of the Green Hell you realize just what it takes to lap as fast as some of those on the videos we post!
Old 09-20-2016, 01:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
They even give you a RHD car too! Once you've done a few laps of the Green Hell you realize just what it takes to lap as fast as some of those on the videos we post!
Yes, I have the full taxi lap we did on my GoPro and I doubt I would ever get close to that time if I drove there regularly. Steve and I went to one of the viewing points while Peter went on the track. We watched the lines and there were clearly some very experienced ones where the lines seemed nigh on perfect in placing the car on the track.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same place I went... (Rent 4 Ring) Great bunch of guys running the place...
Old 09-20-2016, 01:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Same place I went... (Rent 4 Ring) Great bunch of guys running the place...
Pics
Attached Images        
Old 09-20-2016, 02:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well done Pete. Ticked that one off!

You got me all fired up now to go back there next year! I don't imagine they will be fast laps but they will have to be an improvement on the 308 Diesel rental in 2007, and in more style too. I had never watched a full lap of the Ring back then let alone tried one on an arcade. Ill have to borrow a PlayStation before I go!

Unfortunately the Nordshleife was closed to Tourists in December 2013 when I last had the window of opportunity picking up the GT3.

Spa would be awesome to drive but probably not in a Sedan.

Id be interested to hear your plans for exporting a car to Europe John when you have some more details.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one Spokes, the roads look great down there!

Shot down to Taupo for yesterdays track day, unfortunately noticed as I was leaving Auckland a small pool of yellow fluid under my left rear damper, Matt B had a look under the car and confirmed the shock was weeping quite badly. I'd had 4 sessions so decided to call it for the day. Was fairly upset about this as I have sunk some $$ into the suspension lately and was advised to keep the rear shocks as they were good, it seems when I ask for preventative maintenance im told it's overboard, taking a couple of weekdays off and missing out on the arvo sessions is a far larger hit than replacing half worn stuff. Madness.

Ironically I think this is a blessing as I had been complaining about the car feeling unstable, you may recall I commented about nearly spinning on the orientation lap in the wet at Hampton, all my hairy moments have been when turning right, I was confused as sometimes I didn't feel I was over the limit before spinning, im hoping once the rear shocks have been replaced it feel a bit more stable (thats my excuse anyway).

The SC is still away getting a suspension overhaul, everything was stock and worn out, was looking forward to it's return. But the GT3 is just such a beast everywhere, it's not the power thats corrupting, its everything else, it just mows other cars down.... you can't snort, smoke or shoot anything that gives you the feeling of that GT3 at full buzz on a track.

Nathan Maisey came down in his new track toy, E46 M3. Considering these cars are 30-35k they are a ridiculous track proposition, they look & sound great. If I didn't have an affinity to Porsche, I would go in this direction.

Really enjoying the winter track days, will probably do less in summer as it's just so darn hot!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:08 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the trip updates guys. Is Steve (or anyone else) eyeing up any new acquisitions?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:51 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New bucket list road - haven't been in this corner of the USA...
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016...with-318-turns

Looks fun
Old 09-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Nice one Spokes, the roads look great down there!

Shot down to Taupo for yesterdays track day, unfortunately noticed as I was leaving Auckland a small pool of yellow fluid under my left rear damper, Matt B had a look under the car and confirmed the shock was weeping quite badly. I'd had 4 sessions so decided to call it for the day. Was fairly upset about this as I have sunk some $$ into the suspension lately and was advised to keep the rear shocks as they were good, it seems when I ask for preventative maintenance im told it's overboard, taking a couple of weekdays off and missing out on the arvo sessions is a far larger hit than replacing half worn stuff. Madness.

Ironically I think this is a blessing as I had been complaining about the car feeling unstable, you may recall I commented about nearly spinning on the orientation lap in the wet at Hampton, all my hairy moments have been when turning right, I was confused as sometimes I didn't feel I was over the limit before spinning, im hoping once the rear shocks have been replaced it feel a bit more stable (thats my excuse anyway).

The SC is still away getting a suspension overhaul, everything was stock and worn out, was looking forward to it's return. But the GT3 is just such a beast everywhere, it's not the power thats corrupting, its everything else, it just mows other cars down.... you can't snort, smoke or shoot anything that gives you the feeling of that GT3 at full buzz on a track.

Nathan Maisey came down in his new track toy, E46 M3. Considering these cars are 30-35k they are a ridiculous track proposition, they look & sound great. If I didn't have an affinity to Porsche, I would go in this direction.

Really enjoying the winter track days, will probably do less in summer as it's just so darn hot!
I feel your pain Pel. Id say its almost certainly the weeping rear shock that's unsettling the car during transition, particularly on a wet track.

IMO shocks should always be replaced or rebuilt as a set (unless Provence known first hand). Likewise track tyres if consistent laps are your thing. Of course this is budget dependent.

When I am on the track its more than just a day in a weekend. Its a flight, a week or usually more in another country with a wife, organizing a life and house staff in another place to function during our absence, spending money, car rental and going out while in NZ and that's before the fees and car running costs relating to the track days. Theres not doubt I pay WAY more than anyone else for each of my track Kms and that's why Im always serious about collecting data, learning to be better and hang out and do every session I can.

I told myself right at the beginning there was no way I was going through all of that to miss a day (or even half a day) due to poor preparation. I had to take over the management of the vehicles and plan preventative- preventative maintenance! CCS understood and got used to me telling them what was going to be done, researching it and sending them long instructions with pictures which are still often talked about within their workshop (chronicles). A bit extreme I know but its worked faultlessly for almost 4 years. I came close to catastrophe with a failing drive shaft on the way to the 2014 SITT but was luckily in touch with the right people to help me sort it out within 48 hrs.

There's no shortcut if you are like me on this and I think you are. If you mechanic is conservative override him. If he doesn't like being over ridden get another mechanic. you are the client after all. Most of these guys unfortunately are dealing with Kiwi Porsche owners who first words when dropping the car off for a service is "hopefully it doesn't need anything, I already spend $600 on it earlier in the year so here's hoping"! Its a machine, it wont run forever on just grease and oil....

Rant over LOL!

As you say the silver lining is the car should handle more predictable once the shocks are sorted and you can then lean on it a bit harder in all conditions.

The GT3s are great arent they. like Buba says "track cocaine". For me its not about the power (as soon as you get in a 997 or 991 TT you realise torque is king), its about the sound of a highly tuned NA engine particularly 7000 and up as the older cars including 964/993 redline at 6800, the preciseness of the turn in, the front end grip and the stiffness of the chassis to help put all the power down getting out of the corners. Taupo is the perfect place for it.

I saw Nathans red rocket on FB. Great little car those. Theres such a wide choice of decent used machinery on the market its hard to know which way to turn. Just look at those racing Frasers for 30K that mark has bought, what great value to git sub 14s at HD with comparatively very very low overheads. Or something like Tonys supercharged Exige with remap - that thing will do 1.45s all day long on tyres that have seen 20 track days and brakes two years old without missing a beat for under $50K.

I think sometimes we are at the mugs end of the Motorsport spectrum. I think a nice 911 manual road car makes sense for back road blasts and sorties but I still struggle with the fiscal side of running a late model GT3 at the track. Then the cocaine kicks in and I write cheques for tires, rotors and pads all of which combined can buy a pretty nice little used run about. Its clearly an addiction - one I suspect will keep me poor!
Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiraz
New bucket list road - haven't been in this corner of the USA...
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016...with-318-turns

Looks fun
Tail of the Dragon. Often talked about and US version of "just about any decent NZ windy traffic free B road" ;-P
Old 09-20-2016, 07:51 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front shocks were new about 2000km ago so hopefully no dramas after this. Was still a great day, met a guy with a 997.2 turbo who seemed keen on NITT, even without RSG there seems to be a good Porsche turnout at Playdays.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?