Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
So I've always said with Porsche history has shown us as far as values go and collectables history repeats. More so with the 911 range but not exclusive to it. Anything with the RS or CS moniker or limited numbers aka Sports Classic etc hold their value and over time can increase in value. So here's a "limited edition" Boxster "one of only 4 in the world"?? Sitting rather cheaply at $19990.... Future collectible or simply a dull 2.7 Boxster with some badges and not special enough?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...056239662.htmr
Oi, don't splash these details around. There maybe lurkers and I don't want to get gazumped with my latest brain fade.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Oi, don't splash these details around. There maybe lurkers and I don't want to get gazumped with my latest brain fade.
Haha this ones in a different class than our "other" discussion no? You wouldn't use this?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:26 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
So I've always said with Porsche history has shown us as far as values go and collectables history repeats. More so with the 911 range but not exclusive to it. Anything with the RS or CS moniker or limited numbers aka Sports Classic etc hold their value and over time can increase in value. So here's a "limited edition" Boxster "one of only 4 in the world"?? Sitting rather cheaply at $19990.... Future collectible or simply a dull 2.7 Boxster with some badges and not special enough?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...056239662.htmr
That looks compelling and well priced, but I don't follow boxsters enough to know. I don't think 2.7 matters much, if you just track for the fun of it that is.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:51 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pent up demand for more banners? Please indicate if you are looking for more as a new RSG member wants to order one.
Hi John,

I'm entering the Targa Tour in May and looks like we have to use their "livery" including their banner. I'm guessing this means taking my Rennsport one off and putting their one on.... thus I'll need a new one? I'll get another red on black if thats the case....
Old 03-31-2016, 03:54 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not an auction so you should be safe from brain fades...
Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
.... The time between trying to push out of the spin and trying to stop before the wall was very short - when I over corrected I quickly realised that my only hope was to try take advantage of the kitty litter and slow down before the wall (thanks Chris, your lesson on "braking needed to slow down in sand" worked. If I hadn't jumped on the brakes after going off the track, I suspect the rear of the car would have ended up in the wall.

Just thankful the damage is minor and my only injuries to my ego. Apologies to all that had their last session cut off 3 mins early!
Hi Jake,
One thing Mike Eady taught me a while ago was to get onto the brakes as soon as possible. This saved me from hitting the wall on the back straight at Taupo in the 1M when I got caught out by turbo boost on a slalom - stopped 30cm from the wall. And I'm sure it contributed to my pretty much staying on the track after the spin at Highlands. I think that if you don't get control on the first phase, then keep trying for sure but get hard onto the brakes as well to minimise the damage.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
It's not an auction so you should be safe from brain fades...
That last one was close

I really don't have the energy to save an unloved 964 and to be honest it's hard to see the value when the older kettles are so cheap. Just need to make sure an older boxster is a low 1.2x lapper at HD and not high 1.2x.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:09 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

If you're just lapping for fun, do the lap times really matter? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy improving my driving and a bit of competitiveness, but the possible times with a car shouldn't really matter? If they did, you'd not have sold the Cayman R...
Old 03-31-2016, 05:18 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leong72
Hi Jake,
One thing Mike Eady taught me a while ago was to get onto the brakes as soon as possible. This saved me from hitting the wall on the back straight at Taupo in the 1M when I got caught out by turbo boost on a slalom - stopped 30cm from the wall. And I'm sure it contributed to my pretty much staying on the track after the spin at Highlands. I think that if you don't get control on the first phase, then keep trying for sure but get hard onto the brakes as well to minimise the damage.
Thanks for the note Leong. That advice is something I need to remember. I think you're right to call out the need to go into damage control as soon as possible - I probably could have scrubbed off a bit more speed before heading off the track.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just need to make sure an older boxster is a low 1.2x lapper at HD and not high 1.2x.
If you're just lapping for fun, do the lap times really matter? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy improving my driving and a bit of competitiveness, but the possible times with a car shouldn't really matter? If they did, you'd not have sold the Cayman R...
Agreed Jake, but I suspect that John just likes to have his Porsches be quicker than his Hondas.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That boxster looks reasonable value. Its just a local exclusive option special tho. Doubt the factory took any notice at all.

Last edited by Macca; 03-31-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the analysis Walt... I've watched the videos too many times, and the noise you can hear when it breaks loose is now exaggerated, playing into my suspicions that something influenced my ability to control the car. I've not experienced the sudden loss of control like that before, but in actuality I suspect it was just that it's the first time I've truly run out of talent.
Jake, I had a quick look earlier and let you know my initial impression. Still happy with that being plausible, but having had more time at home I've gone back over everything, including that weird sound. First I thought it was just the in-car camera mount resonating as the rears started to scrub but your externally mounted cam (on a Rennline tow mount maybe?) caught the very same sound. So I looked again at potential tyre failure but I'd have expected a little vertical jog in the video if one deflated, plus - as mentioned previously - your car's responses in the skid seemed too normal for that to have been the case and the only sharp vertical jog was when you went off track onto the grass. I did notice a horizontal jog though. The skid seemed to originate with maybe half a foot to a foot of quick outward displacement of the back end (the trees on the horizon briefly pan quicker then slow momentarily to something like their original rate before then moving in response to your corrections). That seemed a bit odd so slowed the external cam footage to quarter speed and saw something at the lead in to the original sharp slide that might explain the 'sudden loss of talent', as well as that weird noise. A moment before the point where that strange noise starts, this is what went under your car Jake:

Name:  Wire or antenna on track HD turn 1.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  24.6 KB

Seems a bit too coincidental to be just chance that you ran this over, got a weird noise, and lost control all around that very moment. My revised take on this is that it maybe wedged somewhere under your car and thrummed in the airflow, with the sudden weird noise throwing you off enough to see you lift or brake a bit, thus inducing that oversteer.

Or more likely - bearing in mind the brief vibration your other cam picked up - it went under one or both of your outside wheels, acting as a bit of a roller bearing to kick the rear end out.

That said, there are other, more irregular white marks further back on that corner entry which I guess are mostly just chalk or sikaflex crack sealant. If it wasn't for the sudden weird noise and vibration I'd have thought this one likely to be that too, but in the circumstances it looks to have maybe been a thick wire, steel wiper backing, or maybe a radio antenna from an air-cooled?

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-31-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bloody hell Walt. You should work for insurance companies! Well done and spotted tho. That noise had me thinking twice too. Jason had some barbed wire he found under his car on the day. No one was driving anything Italian on the day so it cant be that. Looks like it could be a wiper blade insert from a white 1990 964. Maybe Chris M T1 club calling card coming back from the land fill to claim another victim?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:17 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Bloody hell Walt. You should work for insurance companies! Well done and spotted tho. That noise had me thinking twice too. Jason had some barbed wire he found under his car on the day. No one was driving anything Italian on the day so it cant be that. Looks like it could be a wiper blade insert from a white 1990 964. Maybe Chris M T1 club calling card coming back from the land fill to claim another victim?
Ha! I'm pretty sure it was a white GT3/4 battle that may have left carnage!

Jake - in your hi rez originals can you pull individual frames? I remember walking up to the start of the skids with you and noticing a number of white gauges in the tarmac - it might just be one of those artifacting.

I took a few pics looking up the hill, but no luck finding debris in them, though if you went over something it'll have moved a long ways.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Walt, you should work in forensics. Had a look through the footage in slow motion, and that mark looks to be a scratch/mark in the track surface. Looking at the exit tyre marks, there's a discernible tyre pattern in both (the right is more pronounced but assume this is due to load), and aside from the strange shudder the ride out is relatively smooth.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?