PR campaign on Porsche A.G.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:23 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by nile13
Aaaaaahhhhhhaaaaahahaaaaa.... Getting a German company to admit that anything breaks for reasons other than "operator error". Thanks for a good laugh on a Saturday night.
I gots proofs. I mean, German-quality metallurgical proofs - like scanning electron microscope images with fatigue striations. That, in my book, is proof that the fault is within their choice of materials and design. Operator error, my foot.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maestromaestro
That, in my book, is proof that the fault is within their choice of materials and design.
Well, you're the only one reading that book. Even if you could prove that, it doesn't make any difference. Your car was warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for 4 years. You're proposing to nudge Porsche into providing a warranty repair 9 years after the warranty expired, by threatening to disparage them on Facebook? I'm sorry, but....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I gots proofs. I mean, German-quality metallurgical proofs - like scanning electron microscope images with fatigue striations. That, in my book, is proof that the fault is within their choice of materials and design. Operator error, my foot.
Of course it's their fault, I agree with you completely. Proving it to them and making them accept it is a whole other issue, is what I'm saying.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:10 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts

I was informed that the issue was caused by a shift fork that fatigued and cracked, because the $6 pin that fixes it in place had sheared.

You said in the OP that it was the sheared pin that caused the fork to fail. What caused the pin to shear?

Any thoughts as to whether this (the PR pressure) is doable? Too lunatic?
You are probably aware that the correct answer is clearly the latter, but you're trying hard to convince yourself that it's the former. Just an observation...
Old 11-26-2011, 11:25 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

You are an engineer, you already know the answer to this - this part, like everyone else on the car, has a bell curve for failure rate. Some last "forever", some don't last a week. I have two of these cars and neither of mine have suffered this failure. Do a poll, my guess is you will find this is a rare failure.

As for Porsche not taking care of its customers, here would be my story to you: a good friend bought a 2011 911 Black Edition about four months ago. Roughly a month and a half and 1000 miles into ownership the engine seized. I mean the dash lit up like a christmas tree and the engine did not turn over one more rev. The dealership tore the engine down and found a piece of machine tool, about the size of the end of your thumb, lodged in one of the oil pumps. He ended up getting a new engine but he lost out of a month plus of driving. Without him asking for anything more, Porsche AG sent him a check for a months' payment. Pretty good PR in my book.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the initiation site? Can you show it was straight fatigue initiation, versus only fatigue propogation?

I always plotted striation density versus distance from initiation... integrate that curve to get total cycles from initiation. Just gotta know the cyclic frequency (per mile? or whatever makes the most sense).
Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 11-27-2011, 10:33 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
What about the initiation site? Can you show it was straight fatigue initiation, versus only fatigue propogation?

I always plotted striation density versus distance from initiation... integrate that curve to get total cycles from initiation. Just gotta know the cyclic frequency (per mile? or whatever makes the most sense).
Exactly! I was gonna say that too.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:24 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993

Exactly. According to the OP, it was the pin that sheared which led to the fork fatigue. The fork did not fatigue on it's own.

I (mostly) taught myself to drive a manual trans as a kid. Then my dad corrected all my bad habits, like resting a hand on the shift ****, which puts pressure on the synchros and shifting mechanisms. Got my hand slapped a couple times before learning to not do that. Could driving around for 30,000 miles using the shift **** as a hand rest cause the problem?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the issue is that the failure is uncommon, as others have pointed out. Some have said an OEM would not honor a car out of warranty but my parents honday oddysey minivan (around 2000 early model) had a transmission failure at around 80,000 miles, in 2005 or so, wayyyy out of warranty. The dealer replaced the transmission under warranty because it was a common failure I found out later but still amazing that Honda would eat a ~$2k transmission replacement to save their reputation, in fact my parents purchased an accord later instead of a maxima which they always liked. Porsche group is making good sales lately, an investment in customer satisfaction is well worth it if you ask me. You did good to write in and at least give feedback to an issue, but in the end i think you'll see that the failure rate wasn't quite common enough. Now on to valve guide wear, CEL light on due to SAI ports clogging, turbos smoking etc....
Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Mike, you forgot the

If Porsche doesn't cover the (plastic) cooling pipes problem in the pre '08 Cayennes they're certainly not going to cover this.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:21 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of this happening.It has to be something you have done,or,not done.Like change the clutch even though you only have 27k.It is your responsibility to have the car checked out and consumables replaced especially with low milage 993's.If you do not use them enough they will break.Are you the original owner?If not is it possible your car has been clocked by the former owner and really has 80k miles or more?In any case if a 3k repair bill has you in a tizzy you had no business buying the car in the first place.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Where do you draw the line? Many 80's Carreras need clutch forks replaced. Should Porsche cover those too? They are only ~10 years older.

If you are the original purchaser, then have at it. If you bought it used, I'd say your SOL.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
I disagree. German cars are known for their reliability and this guy makes a good point. For the premium prices new Porsches command, so too should there be premium service for them. The should stand by their product, but they dont, and that is why I drive a 993 and not a plastic weak *** 997.
Your post is wrong on just about every attribute including those "plastic weak *** 997s".

what a joke.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Being a materials engineer, I looked at the fracture under the microscope and yep, it was a fatigue failure (if you really want to know).
Are you the original owner? If not, how do you know how the car was driven in the past. There are those that slam the shifter from 1st to 2nd, not being too coordinated while the clutch is still engaged, putting a load on shift forks and such. Just look at the lever arm.

Quick Reply: PR campaign on Porsche A.G.