Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:15 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to running with you Leong. The Cayman R was mid 15's out of the box on 221's so I reckon you will get 13's no problem. Chris is a fair bit quicker in the Cayman CS. Should be a good sight, all in white!
Old 01-10-2016, 04:20 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice footage and driving - having lots of fun I can see.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Looking forward to running with you Leong. The Cayman R was mid 15's out of the box on 221's so I reckon you will get 13's no problem. Chris is a fair bit quicker in the Cayman CS. Should be a good sight, all in white!
The MPSC2 are the limiting factor for the GT3/4/RS. They are a very good, long (180) wearing road track tyre but way less sticky than Z221. These cars would be almost a second quicker at HD on a good track tyre such as 221. Guys in the states using the equivalent Hoosier (R6) on 19s have found this. Hpefully in late 2016/early 2017 some track rubber options will become available...
Old 01-10-2016, 04:45 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The MPSC2 are the limiting factor for the GT3/4/RS. They are a very good, long (180) wearing road track tyre but way less sticky than Z221. These cars would be almost a second quicker at HD on a good track tyre such as 221. Guys in the states using the equivalent Hoosier (R6) on 19s have found this. Hpefully in late 2016/early 2017 some track rubber options will become available...
Trofeo's would surly find you half that time difference?
Old 01-10-2016, 04:48 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ Liking 1.45 Leong!!

Lovely double apex lines too.

Interesting what you say about adjusting the aero too - I have never bothered to play with the rear wing angle either? Might try this tomorrow too?
That slide.... there's so much "feel" in this car, really lets you know what's happening and is so responsive. Not sure if the double apex works better - I was trying that later in the day because the brakes were so good, but lost my data so unable to analyse. hopefully tomorrow!

Yes, but you have to buy the cup/RS splitter. I think its the same price as the standard item.

According the track manual the rear can be adjusted but the trade off as always is Vmax and possibly more understeer. The GT3 has less understeer out of the box than the GT4 and Ive softened off the front sway bar and now appear to have neutral handling.

I think adjusting the angle of an existing wing on the GT3/4 is only ging to make a small difference. You need a larger higher wing if you want to alter aero substantially.

There is always firming up the rear bar if you want further latitude for under-steer reduction.

I dont think tomorrow is a good opportunity to really try it out as Im expecting to "cord" the shoulders of my tyres after a session or two. Right on the limit of these now as you know. Im bringing the 993 as well as the GT3 tyres will become EOL pretty quickly...

I need what appears to be a torx T+35 to adjust the wing. Is that what you used?
I think it was 2 x T30, I have two sets of Torx drivers which I'll have at the track tomorrow. Yeah I know all about cording MPSC2s
There's not been many times that I've adjusted something and noticed the difference - the wing adjustment seemed minimal but definitely a positive effect, and not too much effect on max either so probably a good compromise on a GT4 anyway...
Old 01-10-2016, 05:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Leong. Probably best I do a Repco run in the morning so I have the torx bit for playing around with it in the future.

I had a moment at T5 (corner before uphill into B51) yesterday. Didn't need as much correction as yours. Well done!

Paul I think you are spot on regards on the Trofeo. Pierreli distributor would have you believe its a second a lap but I think a little less. The trade off is a tyre thats really hard to set up with our short sessions and long gaps between going out. The MPSC2 has the advantage of lasting a little longer and being better on the road. Yesterday I ended up setting the car up so it reached correct temperature around lap 6 and held it there till the end. Nice, but a compromise for the first few laps. However with the lack of rear grip towards the end of the day due to wear the last thing I wanted was a 40 psi rear tyre. The Trfeo really suits a longer session than the ones we run, they take time to get to temp but then hold the heat better for longer. They are a sticky tyre.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

9A1 finally gets its Motorsport heritage...

https://vimeo.com/151195016
Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterC2S
what set up has Chris got in the CS now? and what times he running?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:37 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
what set up has Chris got in the CS now? and what times he running?
You would have to PM him to keep up.

The car is highly modified these days. It is road legal, but far from stock.

I know he is into the 14's at HD, it would only be a matter of time until he's doing 13's if not already there?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Paul I think you are spot on regards on the Trofeo. Pierreli distributor would have you believe its a second a lap but I think a little less. The trade off is a tyre thats really hard to set up with our short sessions and long gaps between going out. The MPSC2 has the advantage of lasting a little longer and being better on the road. Yesterday I ended up setting the car up so it reached correct temperature around lap 6 and held it there till the end. Nice, but a compromise for the first few laps. However with the lack of rear grip towards the end of the day due to wear the last thing I wanted was a 40 psi rear tyre. The Trfeo really suits a longer session than the ones we run, they take time to get to temp but then hold the heat better for longer. They are a sticky tyre.
I'm not sure about Trofeo's - yes fast tyre and quiet on the road, but I could never figure out the correct temps to run them and they let go very quickly (snap is the word I would use) - 221's are just over half a sec quicker I think and far more forgiving at the edge. And I know what temps to run. There is no data from other 996 GT3's on Trofeo's that I could find. With 221's becoming scarce - I may need to figure out Trofeo's. I know the Dunlop that Nigel and John use are fast, maybe faster than the 221, but with both having high speed punchers, not sure if it's the tyre or coincidence?? - but very scary stuff.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'm not sure about Trofeo's - yes fast tyre and quiet on the road, but I could never figure out the correct temps to run them and they let go very quickly (snap is the word I would use) - 221's are just over half a sec quicker I think and far more forgiving at the edge. And I know what temps to run. There is no data from other 996 GT3's on Trofeo's that I could find. With 221's becoming scarce - I may need to figure out Trofeo's. I know the Dunlop that Nigel and John use are fast, maybe faster than the 221, but with both having high speed punchers, not sure if it's the tyre or coincidence?? - but very scary stuff.
The DSO3G is a good tyre, better than the R888 and being a later compound probably up there with the Trofeo but not as quick as the 221i shouldn't think. Definitely would be on the list if it weren't for the issues. But that could be from running the pressures wrong when cold ect ?

I told you from day one that the Trofeo needed setting up 30 square hot max. There is data on RL you can use to get the best out of that tyre. It likes camber and you have that, it just needs hear in it to become progressive and will need setting up so you can get heat in quicker on short session format.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

The DSO3G is a good tyre, better than the R888 and being a later compound probably up there with the Trofeo but not as quick as the 221i shouldn't think.
Can someone tell Nigel this please - he dives like he on slicks
Old 01-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just a better driver than us. Simple.

John B is on DSGO3 with same car as you and slower.

Go figure.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:09 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

I like the O3G. Used them for many years on Targa and never yet had a puncture - touch wood. Closest was when I got a small cut and thought it would be ok for a while so kept running the tyre and it got bigger so that at the end of one stage could see the cord over a 20c patch. Found them good in wet and gravelly conditions also good cold. quite progressive on breakaway. Haven't tried 221 so unable to compare
Old 01-10-2016, 06:31 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They weren't "punctures" but nasty delamination of the inside edge of the left rear tyres. Nigel sent his to Dunlop for them to investigate why.

I reckon RSG should look at an order of 221s from Aussy. We'd have a fair few sets to make it worth while I reckon

Have fun at HD today those that are going.

I ran Jeremy to Auckland for his 7am flight back to work in Wellington and gave the Boxster a clean. She was filthy. Word of warning. If you ever use the Porsche gunk pack for puncture repair, when you get your tyre repaired properly the gunk gets on the wheel. They washed out my tyres but not the msg wheels. They were so dirty I didn't notice but boy had it stuck hard after a week. Disolveit and lots of elbow grease required vs almost hosing off when fresh. It's watt dissolvable until set hard.

In my happy place driving Lola north until the FOS

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?