Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Had a great day guys. Was good to be in the 993 at the track after an 18 month hiatus. Got a personal best as well. The car runs very well. Shame about the driver though, I kept forgetting to look at the tacho and shift before the cut out. Definitely rusty and need more practice. That will be Thursday in Taupo then. After that its FOS...

Good day had by all!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Thanks to the RSG guys for such a well run day, very relaxed environment, good times.

First time I've seen Maccas 993 up close, very cool car.

Dave and I had some good runs in the old sheilas
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's the track rat yesterday when I picked her up....before she got all dirty and covered with tyre marbles again. Im still marveling how a 22 year old car with 280 bhp can be less than 3s a lap slower than a new GT3 (mid 13s v low 16s). She really took some punishment today with poorly timed downshifts, hitting the rev limited and some very average gear changes. I only hope her driver gets his Sh*t together or else I see a top end rebuild soon (or maybe that would be an excuse to add 100 bhp!). Reviewing the in car footage was particularly ugly!
Attached Images         
Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Here's the track rat yesterday when I picked her up....before she got all dirty and covered with tyre marbles again. Im still marveling how a 22 year old car with 280 bhp can be less than 3s a lap slower than a new GT3 (mid 13s v low 16s). She really took some punishment today with poorly timed downshifts, hitting the rev limited and some very average gear changes. I only hope her driver gets his Sh*t together or else I see a top end rebuild soon (or maybe that would be an excuse to add 100 bhp!). Reviewing the in car footage was particularly ugly!
Looking great Macca, certainly looking great, love the car. Wish we had a detailer down our way.

It is hard to go back to a manual shift, even in my Tip I have had the auto gear change (manual mode) hitting the limit line while too busy accelerating and steering around a few of my favourite bends.

S
Old 01-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve.

To be honest she is still stone chipped and peppered. Just hasn't seen any love for the last 24 months paint wise and in that time a few track days, the South Island track tour and a targa and some hard back road driving have come and gone. It will need a paint job one day but in the meantime a cut and polish has to suffice.

Apart from yours only 993 in RSG now. Its lonely at the track. Looking forward to seeing yours at Highlands in March.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ You will have the slow down Macca for the 964's.

Your car did look good yesterday.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
A day of attrition Doug. Leaking fuel rail on 944 Turbo, no rear pads on 997 Turbo, GT3 rear tyre puncture. N8dogg had an issue with his C2 and Herman is stuck in 3rd gear (driving Steve's C2 964 at the Festival).
Yes a disappointing day for me. I had done a wheel bearing the day before the track day, and the hub looked slightly worn when we had it apart. Being Sunday we were hard pressed for options so my guess is something has gone wrong in there. Drove perfect on the road but just shows the extra pressure and strain of track work. Car is in at Luke's today to be pulled apart. I was super lucky that it only happened upon entry to pit lane and not at turn 1!

It could have been worse! I kept saying to my wife.

Bugger to hear about Herman John, the car is a really nice beast now, very tidy in deed.

Apart from that I still thoroughly enjoyed the day and thanks to those that organised.

A **** day at the track beats a good day at the office!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by nmaisey
Yes a disappointing day for me. I had done a wheel bearing the day before the track day, and the hub looked slightly worn when we had it apart. Being Sunday we were hard pressed for options so my guess is something has gone wrong in there. Drove perfect on the road but just shows the extra pressure and strain of track work. Car is in at Luke's today to be pulled apart. I was super lucky that it only happened upon entry to pit lane and not at turn 1! It could have been worse! I kept saying to my wife. Bugger to hear about Herman John, the car is a really nice beast now, very tidy in deed. Apart from that I still thoroughly enjoyed the day and thanks to those that organised. A **** day at the track beats a good day at the office!
As the song goes, "I wasn't expecting that". The car had only driven 100km when I hit the track, however the issue only became apparent at 5,000 rpm in third gear (not a situation I had tested until then), where the gear would deselect back into neutral. There was also a slight snicking in the 2/3 shift. Something wasn't right so I got Steve to drive it. He thought it would have to come out again, but I could drive around it in the meantime but that wasn't to be the case.

The box is currently locked in 3rd gear, with the only option being to drop the engine and tranny, then open it up to see what's gone wrong. I don't know enough about gearbox mechanics to guess what's gone wrong. Steve thought a nut on the main shaft might have backed off. There's no doubt the incident cast a shadow over the day. 5 months of time, effort and cash wasn't expected to end like that, but it's a machine and can be fixed. Personally I hope the cause is identifiable as then it can be permanently sorted.

Steve is lending me the ex Targa C2 for the regularity trials so not all is lost. Not sure about driving a Red Car though Good luck on your fix and please share the issue when you find it. Age and wear problems occur consistently in models so I'd like to be on top of whatever the weakness is.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:19 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Just picked up a set of Pagid RSL1 from Steve @ Race Brakes. Very easy to justify the cost after extreme fade due to the lack of friction from backing plates at 220kph going in to turn 1.

My first gardening experience, and not caused by what I would have expected - foolish on my part, should have listened to the voice in the back of my head telling me to call it a day earlier. I now have a slight appreciation of how Chris M felt in the 964 (I still had fronts at least).

Thanks to all that organised, yet another fantastic RSG day at the track.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Steve is lending me the ex Targa C2 for the regularity trials so not all is lost. Not sure about driving a Red Car though
I'll remind you that 4 years ago it could have been very different as you would have bought the red C4 If I hadn't beaten you to it... You are only coming full circle to your destiny
Old 01-11-2016, 05:30 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
GT3RS
WOW! Nice one!
Old 01-11-2016, 05:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nmaisey

A **** day at the track beats a good day at the office!

Agreed
Old 01-11-2016, 06:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'll remind you that 4 years ago it could have been very different as you would have bought the red C4 If I hadn't beaten you to it... You are only coming full circle to your destiny
True
Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I want the other one too
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

I know there is more excitement around the upcoming FOS (understandable!), but is anyone going to check out Leadfoot this year? I'm heading up for a look around. I understand there may be a few of the FOS Porsche invites making an appearance?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?