Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw my engine back together today..............

I will be there on Saturday at 3pm.

Macca - can you pull some favors and squeeze me into the SI tour - I got caught snoozing on this one.........
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. Really sorry but the two Prestige/Porsche sessions are fully subscribed. Best advice I can give you is jump on one of the 17 spots for the open session (there were a few of these left this morning) and then ask Tony to short list you on the Prestige/Porsche if there is a cancellation. Be quick however as Id imagine by tomorrow you may have to learn to ride a motorcycle to get any spots at alll!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Really sorry but the two Prestige/Porsche sessions are fully subscribed. Best advice I can give you is jump on one of the 17 spots for the open session (there were a few of these left this morning) and then ask Tony to short list you on the Prestige/Porsche if there is a cancellation. Be quick however as Id imagine by tomorrow you may have to learn to ride a motorcycle to get any spots at alll!
Paul, I assumed you'd booked but didn't have time to post . There must be someway to make it. Maybe even do some shotgun running as instructor like you have at Playday HD, as a back up plan.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I saw my engine back together today..............

I will be there on Saturday at 3pm.

Macca - can you pull some favors and squeeze me into the SI tour - I got caught snoozing on this one.........
Epic news re your engine - mate you must be so ready for a drive. What's the current ETA?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I second that idea - just book with the non Prestige Group - I'm happy to share sessions so you get time in both. No way are you missing out on this one!! But like Macca says - be quick - call Tony now!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
No 2nd thread. Playday filled the first group for the south island tour but due to demand have created a 2nd prestige/Porsche group. I got notified this morning but understand that by mid afternoon all 10 spots were gone also. So pretty high demand. Did you try and book? There may still be general car spots open.
yes. I sent an email to playday, no response so must have missed out again..
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Epic news re your engine - mate you must be so ready for a drive. What's the current ETA?
Yes - mixed anticipation................
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I second that idea - just book with the non Prestige Group - I'm happy to share sessions so you get time in both. No way are you missing out on this one!! But like Macca says - be quick - call Tony now!
I think this might be a practical idea, I don't think everyone's car is up to 6 sessions a day x 4 days, plus drive up and down.

24 hot lap sessions with no breakage is quite an ask.

We will need a mechanic to check over the cars and oil levels etc. each night.

I chatted to Steve R earlier today, even Chris missed out.........

I think Steve R has an idea along your lines of sharing........

Will see what comes out.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Putting my committee member hat on:

Who's doing the driver training on Sat 29 June, fun run on 16 June and Motorscience night on 12 June.

I think it would be good if Steve R did a talk at some stage on track day prepping a car and the 'logical' sequence you go through. Speaking from trial and error experience, there is a definite path you need to go down that I think we are all going through.............

Last edited by kiwi 911; 05-29-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I think this might be a practical idea, I don't think everyone's car is up to 6 sessions a day x 4 days, plus drive up and down.

24 hot lap sessions with no breakage is quite an ask.

We will need a mechanic to check over the cars and oil levels etc. each night.

I chatted to Steve R earlier today, even Chris missed out.........

I think Steve R has an idea along your lines of sharing........

Will see what comes out.
Interesting points. Is there an option that allows a full grid on each run, but not necessarily the same cars and/or drivers on the grid? The cost base is the same to the organisers so they shouldn't care.

As for car longevity, I'm perversely happy I now know where my engine is at. This will test all of our cars.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
PHG
Racer

Who's doing the driver training on Sat 29 June, fun run on 16 June and Motorscience night on 12 June.

I think it would be good if Steve R did a talk at some stage on track day prepping a car and the 'logical' sequence you go through. Speaking from trial and error experience, there is a definite path you need to go down what I think we are all going through.............
I put my hand up for driver training and moto science Paul, still working on 16th
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Also, for those of you not in the Uncles loop (yet)...........there is a track day on Wednesday 12 June. Could make for a good avo and evening with this and Motorscience............

Uncles....
When: Wednesday 12th June - Laps Start @ 2.30pm and will run through to 5.00pm
If track gates are closed Sign in will be at ticket office in main carpark then gates will open @ 3.00pm

What to Bring: $65 Per Driver - Cash or Cheque Sorry No Eftpos/Credit Facilities Available
Helmets are Compulsory - Motorbike / Motor Cross are OK

Where: Hampton Downs Motor Sport Park - Hampton Downs Road Off SH 1 Waikato Expressway - Centre Track
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it would be good if Steve R did a talk at some stage on track day prepping a car and the 'logical' sequence you go through. Speaking from trial and error experience, there is a definite path you need to go down that I think we are all going through.............
I've just sent through the tech night response. Was thinking about the driver training - where is it pitched and is it a good idea as a refresher? Have done plenty of these in the past - presume usual mix of slalom, cornering and braking in eth morning - laps in the afternoon?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Peter. I think given the DE is at HD and you will be paying $195 for maybe an hour or so of hot laps its not such good money spent for someone like your self who has by now probably run over 500 laps of that track.

Paul. Fingers crossed for the engine shake down. Hopefully trouble free and you will have found some of that lost power which will keep you entertained for a while to come. Im not sure if you checked out that rebel racing website but there are a lit of trick handling parts for your generation of car should you wish to indulge....

It looks like the SI Tour was well over subscribed. Tony was considering doing a second event the week following of there was enough demand but at this stage Im not sure there was.

I would be surprised too if all the 964/993's make it through the SI Tour without issue. From prior observation engines seem to be the least concern. Brakes (pads, fluid, discs), Hydraulic and oil lines, shift linkages, wheel bearings, tie rods and suspension bushes will all show inherent weaknesses with such prolonged abuse. Its probably a fair assumption that out of the 4 track days and 10 cars in our group at least one will be down for each track after the first day. Just a numbers game. Paul, if you tagged along in your car Im sure you would get to fill a spot on at least 3 out of 4 of the tracks...
Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oh. Add clutches to that list too...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?