Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

some more
Attached Images               
Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's enough I think. I will post one more set of pictures of a very special project car that Scott Lang and his team form Autohaus Hamilton have created and which was for sale at the show - a creative "retro" creation with a 300 bhp 3.2 engine....
Attached Images           
Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That's three of us booked and paid for, for SI Tour. Steve makes four. All good so far. Got to have something to look forward too!
Tony just sent me an email confirming my place. He wrote that the Prestige Group is 70% full. That means 3 vacancies. Get in quick if you're prevaricating.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just booked for the SI tour.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's 5 of us now....great!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 PM
mjg
Pro

Great pictures Macca, regret not attending the event now!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

One of the highlights for me was meeting the owner (Scott Lang) of AutoHaus Hamilton and going over there latest creation, a G50 3.2 conversion into a pseudo replica retro Group 4 rally Porsche. This project took Autohaus almost 2 years to complete in between client work.

Supurbly finished and for sale for $120k this great little car is set up for fast tarmac, track and even daily driving, has a modern air con system (works better than everything pre 996), makes 300 bhp from a 3.4 on Motronic with 10.3 compression some trick cams and pistons and weights only 1160kg. The car attracted ALOT of attention including the journalists from 911 Porsche World magazine who photographed it running on the track for a feature or article.

There were a number of aspects to this project I really loved. The light weight 6061 T6 billet alloy 917 wheels from Penta Mototorsports of California with their own propriety center lock hub adapter (very useful if doing a wide body project as you need a hub spacer in any case so may as well look at this as a potential two in one solution!). Real hot rod stuff - Love it! http://www.pentamotorsports.com/pdfs/rim-flyer.pdf

The bespoke air con system with matrix cooled under the rear ducktail spoiler was excellent. much time had been spend crafting the composite duck tail so it fitted and felt just perfect. The silver hood badge is an original part from the Porsche catalog (its the hood crest from a 928S engine intake manifold would you believe!).

The suspension on this car was just the dogs. Fully adjustable bilstein coil overs designed by RSR with full adjustable sway pars and a whole lot of trick trailing arm upgrades. Look the part and Im sure it handled well too!

The interior was understated elegance. All of us who pored over this car were to a man impressed with the result. Interesting Scott used the exact same carbon bucket seats I have in the 993 and this was the first time I had seen them outside of my own car! He had the factory bespoke stitch them in red. Alacantera dash and door caps with RS door cards, lightweight carpet and sound insulation largely removed (some key areas retained it). Add a wevo shifter with beautiful exposed fittings and some rennline drilled floor boards. Steering wheel, dash and instruments were all very tastefully appointed and the car retained speakers and ICE as well as heat and air con.

Body was a full back to bare metal respray with a custom front bumper (which could have benefited by a aux oil cooler to fill in the empty space IMHO). Scott loved teh idea of installing a factory Heigo half cage colour coded white (on my suggestion) so I expect that will make the next build...

Brakes were band new Brembo discs and calipers (Ferrari 360 rear) and Turbo fronts.

Center exit dual pipes and custom equal length manifolds - way cool!

Of immediate interest to myself and Steve R was the tuning. Yet to be run up on the dyno Autohaus now have full access to the Motronic ECU and can map every parameter on their tuners rolling road. They can make the factory Motronic work with MAP sensory and even ITBs. This is a real break through down under as no one down here has had this flexibility to hack and tune the Motronics generation ECUs to date. The solution has only been available to AutoHaus in the last 12 months but has been successful to date. Steve particularly was interested in this and spent Monday at Autohaus shop learning more about what they do...

So here is a lightweight, like new car with 300 bhp a superbly competent and fully adjustable suspension platform, HUGE brakes and very light trick wheels wonderfully finished inside and out with some very tasteful styling cues for 120k aud tuned and turn key! Given the Porsche everything in the Porsche scene is 1 AUD = 1 NZD this is like buying a 120k NZD brand new bespoke spec performance Porsche oldtimer.

Many here will laugh but slowly as those here that choose to "hot rod" get the 100k nzd T-shirt I think they too like me will see this as a very reasonable sum of money for a well engineered and thought out quality product. Better still its air cooled!

Check it out!

http://blog.autohaushamilton.com.au/...4-project-car/
Attached Images                
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

that is certainly a great car macca. looked at it on the autohaus web site a while back and talked to them as well. I really like that wevo exposed mechanism lever. So that price is about 165k plus nzd landed, which is nearly 997.2 gt3 money for a UK import? The gp 4 is much more unique though right ? so just buy and keep pretty much forever and enjoy.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. I figure that car is 120k NZD if done in NZD using a NZ base 3.2 (35k). I did the big numbers (wheels/brakes/engine/suspension/interior/paint) with Scott and you could comfortably build that car ground up for 120k nzd if someone in NZ could do the Motronic tuning.

Check out their key supplier. These guys will ship you a full front rear Big Red Brembo brake set up especially for the pre 964 cars for 4k usd!

IMHO John/Sean or anyone looking at a backdate based on 3.2 or earlier platform should definitely check out this site....

http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/index.html

This would definitely be a car to keep and I should think it would keep up with a Mk2 996 GT3 on track...
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM
mjg
Pro

Ah, but would it keep up with a 996.2 GT3 with 40k of improvements?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I recall they made a big thing about custom 'secret sauce' head or piston top shape so that they could safely run the compression in a 3.4 without twin plugs. The rest could easily be bought and replicated. Not being an engine expert I am unsure if that's a difficult thing or not. But the Tuthill/Harris 'kermit' 3.4 that put out over 300hp was twin plug. What does Steve R think? I suspect that the $ range spent on engine could vary enormously depending component spec. I saw a 3.0 rsr race motor for sale in Europe for 38k euros so that's nearly nzd60k so I guess from a component point of view that's the top end. Motronic easier though and probably cheaper with no high butterflies and mfi set up with custom pumps and things.

Playday SI tour P group is full. I am going to bring the kit car and run in the other car group. Will confirm today. I understand the cap on numbers in the P group is an insurance thing is that right?

Can someone pm me the contact for insurance? I might have another project ...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088

Playday SI tour P group is full. I am going to bring the kit car and run in the other car group. Will confirm today. I understand the cap on numbers in the P group is an insurance thing is that right?
New P-group just started (see other thread). I missed cut on first but confirmed in 2nd. Will also be max of 10 cars so get in quick - although general group is cheaper. Increased cost for P group is because of lower numbers - yes due to insurance limitation on max 10 per group.

Insurer is Prestigio. http://prestigio.co.nz/contact
Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
I recall they made a big thing about custom 'secret sauce' head or piston top shape so that they could safely run the compression in a 3.4 without twin plugs. The rest could easily be bought and replicated. Not being an engine expert I am unsure if that's a difficult thing or not. But the Tuthill/Harris 'kermit' 3.4 that put out over 300hp was twin plug. What does Steve R think? I suspect that the $ range spent on engine could vary enormously depending component spec. I saw a 3.0 rsr race motor for sale in Europe for 38k euros so that's nearly nzd60k so I guess from a component point of view that's the top end. Motronic easier though and probably cheaper with no high butterflies and mfi set up with custom pumps and things.

Can someone pm me the contact for insurance? I might have another project ...
You are spot on. Scott wouldn't go into details on the pistons and cams other than to say "they were special"! Steve and I had dinner afterwards and agreed 300 bhp is probably the most optimistic outcome. Its as far as you could possibly go without twin plug. The compression is about as far as you would want to go also at 10.3.1. Correctly tuned on 98RON its still a possibility but Id imagine 280-290 bhp is a more realistic outcome. Scott told us the engine is a 20k aud build if you bring the engine and around 35K aud if they supply. As you say much cost saved by not going motec/ITB/Twin plug etc and keeping stock Motronic.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Ah, but would it keep up with a 996.2 GT3 with 40k of improvements?
Matt. Have no fear, this car even well driven wouldnt keep up with your GT3. Infact Id say youd need to pitch a 997.2 GT3 against yours to see any meaningful benefit in track times!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
New P-group just started (see other thread). I missed cut on first but confirmed in 2nd. Will also be max of 10 cars so get in quick - although general group is cheaper. Increased cost for P group is because of lower numbers - yes due to insurance limitation on max 10 per group.

Insurer is Prestigio. http://prestigio.co.nz/contact
Hi Pete. I believe we have 9 from our group including Steve Rs Canadian guest signed up for SI tour. Ill talk with Tony now but suggest we will all run as one group of 10 and the second group will likely involve non Rennsport Gruppe members (non Porsche etc)...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?