Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Those Rotiforms look ok. Would suit a modern car. But suspect that they're cast, heavy and not up to track use.

Plus 5kg in weight loss thanks to the summer heat!
I reckon that system would possibly be more given the compressor alone must be 8kg and the OEM mushroom farm that is most condensers 20years+must be at least another 10kg and thats without fluid, drier, hoses, lines fittings and brackets etc.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

....I think I mixed condenser and evaporator up a bit above, The below is the evaporator. The condenser IIRC sits on top. The left hand unit is the Kuhl AM improved option sold in the states the right hand one is the OEM factory. Direct swap replacement....
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2015, 04:41 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

John. The reason I state 2K is because if you were paying the labour to do this job (rates at around 12 hrs, mine took 11, Graeme W did his with a mate and took 17-20, and another shop I know charged 12) then the cost of the updated Kuhl condenser and evaporator I bought from the USA (was around $560 USD plus freight and GST - so call that $1500 now, and while you are there replace O rings and drier) plus the labour at $80+GST ph is around $2700-3000. The condenser matrix of course is located under the front fuel tank in the most PITA place you can think and requires almost total dismantling of the rear HVAC control units and ducting tio get the tank ut then access. Usually some wire brushing and paint treatment then paint is needed down there as the OEM matrix corrodes (the serpetine tubes were designed too close together and condensation plays a role). They effectively rot out and make a mess down there. The Kuhl system is available in the states and is an improved and more efficient condenser design. We thought mine had gone after 21 years but when we got to it found instead an unrealted issue but after all that labour fitted up the new condenser and evapourator as supplied because I wasnt going back there for another 20+ years. New system is more efficient but still not to modern standards. As we go in there early no rust or need to treat but ive seen some really messy stuff where they have rotted out.

Very valid points there, I tend to very quickly forget that 99% of jobs I do myself and very rarely have to farm something out but not everyone is able to do that.
I have a lot of respect for folk like John McM for tackling what he has done, a great learning experience for him and has done supremely well so far.
It seems the evaporator is usually the cause which is sort of understandable considering age and where the component is located.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:58 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Trying to get something definitive out of an insurance company is seeking blood from a stone and duty of care mostly seems to go back the other way. Adjustable coilovers are high on my wishlist too but have steered clear to date for the reasons you're seeing. Chris's approach may be a good start but if you manage to square the circle completely Jason, please drop me a PM with the secret.
Will do. Another call for anyone who drinks beer with a LVVC bloke?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Pete, no Tui's this time, I'm backing myself for the next track day because we have a .......
Attached Images  

Last edited by Maxem; 10-09-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^^^ WOOOOOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!!

Well done mate, you need to install a half cage so I can bags the first passengers ride on the track !!!

Well done Dave - been a long time in the making...!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^^^^^^ WOOOOOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!!

Well done mate, you need to install a half cage so I can bags the first passengers ride on the track !!!

Well done Dave - been a long time in the making...!!!
Yes, two years and one month. Still not finished though. Dropped the leather to the ZZ Topp dudes auto trimmers in Te Awamutu. They do a lot of hot rod stuff but are really freindly guys and I trust them to do a good job and at regional rates too. So the car will turn up at HD with a bit to do but it should be in its lightest ever trim. I'm just starting to think about tyres for the first outing. Leaning towards a quality set of road tyres on the Fuchs reps rather than super stickies so that I can step into it at a slower pace.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Pete, no Tui's this time, I'm backing myself for the next track day because we have a .......
Great work, but I have to ask, I'm getting my seats back at some stage, aren't I?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Will do. Another call for anyone who drinks beer with a LVVC bloke?
I don't deal direct nor never met him but Steve uses a guy in Te Awamutu for LVVC. If you take a look at Steve's builds, some are pretty modded and all are on the road
Old 10-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Great work, but I have to ask, I'm getting my seats back at some stage, aren't I?
ZZ Topp dudes have the Shell's and leather and the all go so I suppose you can have them back. you only need one for a blistering lap?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

These are the weights for 964 aircon
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2015, 05:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

ZZ Topp dudes have the Shell's and leather and the all go so I suppose you can have them back. you only need one for a blistering lap?
I'm aiming for a Porsche picnic debut (early Dec) so no real hurry. The refurb scope keeps on increasing and I'm away for half of the time until then. I think I have enough Sliverknit to do all of the front carpet so am tempted to do more than a couple of panels.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:51 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I agree with Macca's comment, you really need a half cage and sports seats.

Macca - impressed you can **** a rear wheel too - you are stiffer than my GT3!!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Steve remove the frame and just mount the plate as it is. Much cleaner look IMO as that heavy frame and over hand is unsightly?
Done. Frames removed, much better front & back. :thumb:

Anyone want some euro frames?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yeah...... So looking forward to seeing her under anger

Originally Posted by John McM
These are the weights for 964 aircon
John 15kg saving for aircon on a daily driver in summer. Madness to not get it working IMO. Cast your mind back to the Cape Reinga run with windows down for hours at pace vs quiet cool comfort. Save the weight in RS door liners or something. Just IMO of course. Sorry to harp on endlessly about it. It was a revelation fixing Lola's aircon. I just need to spend $200 regassing every 24 months until we find the leak

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?