Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Pel, any car can be tracked, albeit the non Mezger engines are a lottery unless sorted out first. The question is what you want to get out of it?

Experience tells me that if you want to be lapping others rather than being lapped, then the best platform is one Porsche intended to be tracked as it will be closer to the end point. Relatively young cars help as well as wear and tear costs to put right.

The above sums up why my third Porsche, which was a clean slate purchase, was the R. I couild equally have gone with a GT3, but I would have had to accept an older car for the same price point.

That said, the very cheapest option is to drive what you have within its capabilities and enjoy yourself.
We crossed posts. Sage advice ^^^
Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I spent 4 months talking with the designer at JRZ in the USA (shocks were built in Japan) on their RS shocks prior to the PRO redesign (theywere working on it at the time but its development was very slow and came out 2 years after intended!).

They are a beautifully designed shock.

In the end the lack on NZ support and knowledge base on how to set these up and address any known issues pointed me back to the PSSS10 which were cheaper (wasnt a key consideration at the time I must admit) and much more a known quantity (about this time I was starting to learn the cost and headaches of being a guinea pig for 993 modifications!).

Im happy with the PSS10. They are a good road shock in NZ and so much better composed and less "crashy" than the HD with Mo30 springs I ran from 2005-2010 (found there way with my 996 GT3 hweels onto Asleys 993 which was sold to Tony M then crashed and now I think at Steve Rs).

If you are very serious about track work the Motons and RS Pros are definately the way to go. Seperate canisters with multi bumpand rebound settings minutely adjusted etc.

However you really need to be racing a 964/993 before that kind of 10K+ investment in shocks and dedication to setting up (ideally with geo guy at a the track for a few tests days) becomes viable IMO. Once you do Im sure they are good for 1s a lap at HD perfectly tuned. They would likely then be a total handful on any B road back road driving at pace you did and you will end up with a track only car. The PSS10 I must confess (and Im sure the KWV3 too) are the only reason I can still get some decent grip and complaince on Targa. Back off the sway bars to sift and set the shocks up on the softer side and they still work on teh roads. Ive no doubt you could get the Moton/RS PRO to do the same but lots of knowledge and playing around needed...
Thanks Macca, how do you find them on the track?

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Warwick - what do you want to achieve?

If you are after a raod car with casual track day set-up - do what Pete did (and replace all your suspension rubbers).

Doing anything more will cost you anther $10K (like Macca's says) to only go another second faster? - and there are other ways to get this.

Suspension tidy up, Pete's rims with 221's, 50-80 kg's out with JMc strip and racing buckets is 80% of the easy gains. The last 20% is DT. Anything beyond this, just go buy a faster car as the cash vs benefit gain is really small.
IIRC, Pete also had bilstein HD with custom springs + RS adjustable F/R sway bars. The HD/H&R combo comes in at < $1k difference to the PSS10's. For mine i'd be happy to stump up the extra for the adjust (pose?) ability

That said i could just rebuild the shocks to OEM at $200 a corner. Custom valving an option as well The current springs are unknown quantity though I can put them on a dyno to have the rates tested. All in all i want a stiff but roadable setup

I have a $75US C2 21mm sway bar (classic mod) on the way as soon as the its bushings come in. Along with Wevo's and a new trans mount. Jason had poly fitted to the front arms and my drop links and ball joints are in good nick. I'm hoping to do as much of the install myself as a can
Old 07-22-2015, 09:16 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Paul, I want a track car and your driving prices up! haha
944 S2 bud - you can get them for $30K all day long (if you can find one?)
Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

They are fine for the track Warwick. You need to adjust the rears to close to full stiff and play with the fronts (dependant on whether you have LSD or not). With a 4WD car you should be able to dial out a little understeer keeping the fronts a tad soft but it will depend on the effects of the new roll bars you are fitting. Generally speaking the PSS10 are probably a bit softly sprung for An out and out track day or time attack car but the next step up with spring rates (think Bilstein cup car coil overs) will likely spoil the ride on the street. Paul has mirrored the same chassis spec as I have more or less (he has fixed beefier sway bars rather than adjustable and the factory rear control arms) so he can give you an overview. The evidence suggests they are suitable enough to get the 993 driven into the high 15s or low 16s if well peddled at HD. This track favours a slightly softer set up IMO so the PSS10 work fine here. IM assuming the KWV3 would be similar - they may even have slightly firmer spring rates which would be good. The only 964 that has successfully broken below mid 19s At HD in our group I'm aware of is Sean's ex Bridgestone "RS" but this is a stripper with full cage (stiff), Cup suspension, RS brakes And chipped engine running just under 1250kg in present configure (all times quotes above on Z221 or 214). There is no reason a 964 shouldn't be almost as quick as the 993 as the power to weight is roughly the same. However I don't think any of the 964 owners to date have tuned the suspension to its potential or perhaps are as committed at a time attack lap as Sean, Paul etc have been in the past.....

PEL. Paul brings up an interesting option and one I confess as a 911 snob I overlooked. A 944 ex race car like Pete has could be a viable track warrior with road legality for 40k or under well prepared....
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A 944 ex race car like Pete has could be a viable track warrior with road legality for 40k or under well prepared....
Or road warrior with track legality...

Mike
Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

They are fine for the track Warwick. You need to adjust the rears to close to full stiff and play with the fronts (dependant on whether you have LSD or not). With a 4WD car you should be able to dial out a little understeer keeping the fronts a tad soft but it will depend on the effects of the new roll bars you are fitting. Generally speaking the PSS10 are probably a bit softly sprung for An out and out track day or time attack car but the next step up with spring rates (think Bilstein cup car coil overs) will likely spoil the ride on the street. Paul has mirrored the same chassis spec as I have more or less (he has fixed beefier sway bars rather than adjustable and the factory rear control arms) so he can give you an overview. The evidence suggests they are suitable enough to get the 993 driven into the high 15s or low 16s if well peddled at HD. This track favours a slightly softer set up IMO so the PSS10 work fine here. IM assuming the KWV3 would be similar - they may even have slightly firmer spring rates which would be good. The only 964 that has successfully broken below mid 19s At HD in our group I'm aware of is Sean's ex Bridgestone "RS" but this is a stripper with full cage (stiff), Cup suspension, RS brakes And chipped engine running just under 1250kg in present configure (all times quotes above on Z221 or 214). There is no reason a 964 shouldn't be almost as quick as the 993 as the power to weight is roughly the same. However I don't think any of the 964 owners to date have tuned the suspension to its potential or perhaps are as committed at a time attack lap as Sean, Paul etc have been in the past.....
I'm trying follow Peretos Principle though probably more like the 80/50. Enough so i can't blame the car, ahem. I'm not trying to break records and will never have enough time, money and definitely not talent to do so. Frankly, part of it is the joy of modding and improving (?) and not the out and out search for lap times.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Thats an option ive been researching, along with an older Cayman.

Or doing a 944.

Or waiting for a GT3.

I've been trying to sort Ray out for some lessons, will do a few more track days in what I have, something will come out of the woodwork.
^^^ This!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Or road warrior with track legality...

Mike
Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

There is no reason a 964 shouldn't be almost as quick as the 993 as the power to weight is roughly the same. However I don't think any of the 964 owners to date have tuned the suspension to its potential or perhaps are as committed at a time attack lap as Sean, Paul etc have been in the past....
Agree. The AIM traces I posted last week indicate the potential. I sense there is a perfomance advantage in the 993, but ulimately it comes down to Turn 1 and the Sweeper at HD. Carry speed through those and your times will drop siginificantly as you reap the increased straightline speed. Maybe I need to fit the ex Paul 214s to Herman for one last go...
Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Pel, any car can be tracked, albeit the non Mezger engines are a lottery unless sorted out first. The question is what you want to get out of it?

Experience tells me that if you want to be lapping others rather than being lapped, then the best platform is one Porsche intended to be tracked as it will be closer to the end point. Relatively young cars help as well as wear and tear costs to put right.

The above sums up why my third Porsche, which was a clean slate purchase, was the R. I couild equally have gone with a GT3, but I would have had to accept an older car for the same price point.

That said, the very cheapest option is to drive what you have within its capabilities and enjoy yourself.

100% agreed.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
^^^ This!
That barrow has been pushed so much it needs its wheel bearings checked
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The 214s should be good for another second over the Z221s at HD I reckon John. You should go for it. I reckon with the number of laps youve done since you last gave the 964 PB time a go you will most definately improve your PB time by a satsifying amount mounting the 214s and giving it a hiding. Winter is a good time to try it (assuming dry) as engine is making good HP etc.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That barrow has been pushed so much it needs its wheel bearings checked
Curious, limited converts to date?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
^^^ This!
Pete just wants some mates............
Old 07-22-2015, 10:23 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

The only 964 that has successfully broken below mid 19s At HD in our group I'm aware of is Sean's ex Bridgestone "RS" but this is a stripper with full cage (stiff), Cup suspension, RS brakes And chipped engine running just under 1250kg in present configure (all times quotes above on Z221 or 214)
Michael N set a 1:15 (I think?) something with me in the car at last year's sprints. Was a 964 cup car on stickies however...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?