Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you not on PCNZ Facebook.

Aardan has about 800 photos - I will PM the best ones to the guys there on the day.
Attached Images             
Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Yesterday turned out to be a great day in the end -- I'm glad I waited around a bit because I came very close to leaving before lunch. Paul, thanks for organising and I think your management throughout the day was spot on. I also had 888s on, they're the only tyre I've got. I know they're not ideal in the wet but I would've been disappointed to be turned away because of them. I've had a big spin in the wet and now I have more respect. (For what it's worth, I think Steve had the same tyre on his RS rep in the wet sprints last year and still managed a 1.19.) John/Doug -- surprised to see you gone so early! The sun was shining, the track was dry and getting warmer, traffic was sparse... I was looking forward to watching you duel
Michael, the main concern with track tyres like the 888 and 221 is that they appear to aquaplane more readily than road tyres. We saw that last year with Doug, where the car before and after him made it through.

Can't speak for Doug, but during the second session post lunch my Hankook roadies showed their limitations and it was time to either reduce speed or go home with some damage, or just go home. I was starting to lose it on the sweeper and plough through turn 2. Trail braking didn't seem to help get the front to grip in the turns. Given the morning we felt lucky to get two good sessions in.

No duelling this time although maybe in the RS60 and R as they have similar tyres, if we go to the one on the 15th. No NITT for me this year, so it may be the last chance for a while as the new 2kcup race season starts. Then we can duel it out in the DC2s
Old 07-19-2015, 06:55 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pictures , amazing cars they just look so much better than in a car park
Old 07-19-2015, 07:14 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Is it recommended to increase tyre pressures in the wet? My vague recollection is that a std aeroplane tyre aquaplanes at nine times the square root of the tyre pressure (nerd alert). Upping the pressure although reducing the contact patch should increase resistance to aqua planing?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Is it recommended to increase tyre pressures in the wet? My vague recollection is that a std aeroplane tyre aquaplanes at nine times the square root of the tyre pressure (nerd alert). Upping the pressure although reducing the contact patch should increase resistance to aqua planing?
Increasing the tyre pressure would reduce the contact patch making it less likely to aquaplane. Not sure any of us could adjust our speed to take advantage of it though. Wikipedia suggests that aquaplaning can start as low as 85km/hr. The thing that surprised me yesterday was the number of spins the car got down the straight. Doug did one, Neil did two, whereas yesterday had to be at least four.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:16 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by shiraz
Hi anyone here buy MEZGER? have been looking at plates, was still available last time I looked & Didn't do anything about it
Matt has it on his 997.1 GT3 RS.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
the C4S? - very cool.........
Paul. You can tell by the narrow rear fenders and the 17" Cups its not a C4S. Its a 1994 993 C2 Tipo with Turbofront bumper...

Glad only one bent car yesterday. Not an RSGer either. Sounds like people were cautiuous which is good. Looked very much like our 27 April track day (hosing down in morning and drying off in afternoon). As others have said its up to the individual at the end of the day about tyre chocie and drying attitude.

Not a day I felt jealous about returning to NZ for.

4 of my last 5 track days in NZ have been wet or damp ones (Taupo taking the washout award) - getting a bit tired of it to be honest. Next year we will look to move NITT to early November if all agree. Early September is probably too cold/questionable/unpredicatble - but lets see how it goes this year. Certainly after paying for slights, accodation and people to look after property and pets at home its a bit dissapointing recently to only have 20% of days bone dry.

Hopefully the track day mid August will be better. Im sure it will be.

Next up Pete & Enduro. 2K Cup starts end of Sept. Matt is still AWOL. Anyone for Targa NZ this year? Wheres Walt in these events? and many more questions...
Old 07-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

We had a wet weekend as well. Got a bit sunburnt :-)
Attached Images     
Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Thesnowman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Thanks for the shots. Will it be making a guest appearance at the Speed Show this weekend?
Should be in the CCS showroom
Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place with track dates in that we get easy access in Winter when weather is changeable and racers are thinner on the ground and less in Summer as race series lock in dates a year or more ahead of time. In 2k cup races we have been drenched, semi drenched and baked, you just have to deal with it. If I recall correctly the first RSG year we struck mostly dry tracks days. In hindsight that was sheer/good luck. If it's that important to be dry, the easiest way is to book a space and bow out if you don't like the conditions, or alternatively hope there is a place and book when the weather forecast is reliably good. Of course that's easier for those of us 60km from the track
Old 07-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place with track dates in that we get easy access in Winter when weather is changeable and racers are thinner on the ground and less in Summer as race series lock in dates a year or more ahead of time. In 2k cup races we have been drenched, semi drenched and baked, you just have to deal with it. If I recall correctly the first RSG year we struck mostly dry tracks days. In hindsight that was sheer/good luck. If it's that important to be dry, the easiest way is to book a space and bow out if you don't like the conditions, or alternatively hope there is a place and book when the weather forecast is reliably good. Of course that's easier for those of us 60km from the track
Too true John.

Unfortunately that is not a luxury I have the benefit of with my offshore lifestyle, hence I go to the track rain or shine when I'm in NZ.

The NITT has latitude to be moved to a later date in the year. The September slot only came about because we were leveraging of a Playdays annual Manfield fixture. However this year and last has proven we have enough demand to take out the short track entirely for ourselves in the future at no real additional cost to our participants. In fact we have faced the opposite issue this year in securing enough places and currently have a reserves list and have had to open the extension even to get us to this point. I should think mid October dates for example may be a better option in 2016 and as NITT takes in a weekday (usually a Friday or Monday) that should not be an issue.

I am currently working with Playdays on "Arrive & Drive" dates for RSG for 8 Jan and late March 2016. We are awaiting confirmation of pricing and availability at HD as the prices look like they will be on the up after Xmas. No surprises there I guess. Coupled with SITT in March this should give RSG 6 track dates in the first 3 months of 2016! Plus the Festival for those participating on track over that period. Not too bad. If RSG can organise some April/May dates at HD then with NITT in say October plus a few Playdays and PCNZ dates sprinkled over June-Sept plus November that should provide around 12 possible dates for RSG in 2016....
Old 07-19-2015, 08:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Certainly plenty of chances to get out there, not forgetting the race series as well. I think you can count on prices escalating. The 2k cup is apparently moving to $300 per meet.

At some stage I need to tackle Herman's gearbox, so need to work out the best time to do that. Given the above, it may well be now, albeit I want to complete the Hondas first and that starts tonight. If it goes badly I may have the materials to get another geabox kiwi made up
Old 07-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Winter seems the ideal time to sort out larger mechanical jobs such as gearbox IMO. You can pretty much guarantee with a geabox job that you will have to strip it down first to find out what needs ordering, then order and wait then start the rebuild. Even when planning carefully there will always be a couple of items that you didnt anticipate. This happened to me last May with the 993 and in the end the gearbox was apart for around 6 weeks end to end (in my case 2 weeks lost for LSD clutch pack from Guards but also note that CCS made a late call on some gearbox internals that necessitated me ordering from EMD to finish the job in a timely manner). The car was completed late June and I flew in to run it up and check it mid July at a HD Playdays/RSG event. Most people Ive spoken to having a G50 rebuilt have found it can be a longer job. Parts are not off the shelf.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Winter seems the ideal time to sort out larger mechanical jobs such as gearbox IMO. You can pretty much guarantee with a geabox job that you will have to strip it down first to find out what needs ordering, then order and wait then start the rebuild. Even when planning carefully there will always be a couple of items that you didnt anticipate. This happened to me last May with the 993 and in the end the gearbox was apart for around 6 weeks end to end (in my case 2 weeks lost for LSD clutch pack from Guards but also note that CCS made a late call on some gearbox internals that necessitated me ordering from EMD to finish the job in a timely manner). The car was completed late June and I flew in to run it up and check it mid July at a HD Playdays/RSG event. Most people Ive spoken to having a G50 rebuilt have found it can be a longer job. Parts are not off the shelf.
Reading up on the Honda box has me mindful of the expensive damage you can do by ignoring the impact of worn synchros. Brass synchros allow some sacrifical wear, steel ones wouldn't.

The Honda race ones are carbon lined brass. I expect G50 will be another level and likely well outside a DIY job, but I will be well placed to understand what they recommend when it's opened up. I also want to inspect my planetary gear. It's lasted 17,000km of hard use since it was welded up, but I'd like a sanity check anyway.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Seems like a logical plan John. The G50 brass synchros arent expensive. The cost comes if there has been big damage to the teeth on a gear set. I only just managed to escape this cost. If course there are plenty of little things worth doing while you are in there like replacing the reverse lock out spring and pin and also replacing the selector forks if they show wear at these Kms which one assumes they will. Then there are the usual gaskets etc. Ideally you need a clean environment with steel bench to lay everything out, gear pullers and associated tools, an engine stand or bench brace to mount the gearbox and a place to put the car without its engine/gearbox while its all coming together. Definately not a simple DYI but after your Honda rebuilding excercise you may have the experience and space to tackle it...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?