Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
They are "NZ standard" John. Not German style. I had my new IX one checked by LTSA. It's NZ font, and DIN standard not German style. Check the link out - a number of people I know have ordered them and are using them and side by side it's almost impossible to tell the difference. Never had a Problem with these or the German ones over 6 cars, 15 years. However about that loud exhaust.....
Thanks for the info I'll look at those for the Cayenne.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks for the info I'll look at those for the Cayenne.
Good alternative if you don't want to be *** rapped by the plates.co.nz monopoly that's all.....
Old 06-19-2015, 08:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Yeah. I'm probably being a bit dramatic. Im a very passionate about RSG as you can imagine. there have only been two events in 2015 - both of which I have been the instigator (with a lot of organisational help from Pete, Steve, Mandy and my wife). I was the originator of the NITT concept in 2013 and with Petes help (and frankly these days because of the time he puts into it) it's been an annual event. I'm organising next years SITT. So you could say I'm full vested. I'm also a bit disappointed if truth be told that others aren't pushing RSG events along too. I see 2015 being the driest year for RSG and get concerned for its future. Paul has a tough job as both VP for PCNZ and committee member for RSG. We need more oomph behind RSG. More people to create events. I'm a renegade - will always support the underdog and rarely join "the masses". I see a lot of cool things RSG can be but the last thing that interests me is it becoming another PCNZ. Don't get me wrong I've been a PCNZ member for as long as anyone here (15 consecutive years now) but it doesn't meet my needs and rarely has done. I'm a fringe dweller and it caters as it must for the majority. Maybe we need to revisit priorities here, organisation, responsibility and have a better understanding of how we co exist in this space. I pm almost definitely the wrong person to be involved in such matters, I'm stubborn, sometimes single minded, very protective and have a very personal position in RSG. It's natural things need to grow and change and I accept that. I guess my personal vision is that RSG does not get any larger, stays focussed and hardcore and I'm not sure integration with a larger group by participation and osmosis is beneficial to its longer term development. But as I said I'm very passionate about it....
We may not always say it directly but we recognise the efforts Macca. I personally have no problem with a PCNZ track day fixture adding to the mix, albeit I hope the driving skill in the wider club, or lack of it, is sorted before they let people loose in their near new Turbo S. I don't see this competing with RSG, but rather complementing it. The fact that PCNZ is doing this is a compliment in itself to the RSG ethos.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

We may not always say it directly but we recognise the efforts Macca. I personally have no problem with a PCNZ track day fixture adding to the mix, albeit I hope the driving skill in the wider club, or lack of it, is sorted before they let people loose in their near new Turbo S. I don't see this competing with RSG, but rather complementing it. The fact that PCNZ is doing this is a compliment in itself to the RSG ethos.
Thanks John. I wasn't hunting accolades, just stating the background to my initial consternation . I'm not going to take a position on the PCNZ day, assuming it's passed Prestigio muster I'm sure RSGers can enjoy it with the comfort of coverage. It adds some variety to the mid winter calendar.

RSG has seen fit to ensure no conflict of dates with PCNZ during the June-Sept period each year since NITT 2013 when such an issue arose. at that time I took most of the heat on this. the communications situation has since then been informally handled via Paul and his position on both councils. It is thus mutually beneficial for RSG members who wish to enjoy PCNZ Speed Series events over this period to partake, and it helps make PCNZ events viable. However PCNZ it appears are now running a pure track day using the same organiser as RSG. This was the style of event that was missing from PCNZ repertoire since I joined in 2001 and infact much of the reason RSG was born. It's a free world and having choice is a good thing. It just came as a surprise to me...

I guess it's timely in that it reinforces the need for RSG to be more proactive in how it best should serve its members interests and who/m should resource these efforts. But that should be a point of discussion taken up on the RSG closed member board.

Any further discussion in this should probably happen offline. As you were :-)

Last edited by Macca; 06-19-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

They are "NZ standard" John. Not German style. I had my new IX one checked by LTSA. It's NZ font, and DIN standard not German style. Check the link out - a number of people I know have ordered them and are using them and side by side it's almost impossible to tell the difference. Never had a Problem with these or the German ones over 6 cars, 15 years. However about that loud exhaust.....
Macca, so these plates are NZ standard? Did you buy the plate holder? Great buy if so.

S
Old 06-19-2015, 04:40 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris T had already told me about the German ones, but also that anything not official can be seized. I can't be pfaffed with the possibility and they're not that expensive compared to the tyre numbers being bandied about.
Also demerit points and fine.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Moochier
Instructor

so PCNZ are now RSG? or are RSG now PCNZ? I'm confused. i thought we set up RSG because PCNZ couldn't offer us what we wanted/needed?

Now we are being sold our own format and being asked to make it a success??

I'm feeling the need to create a non PCNZ RSG splinter group? Anyone interested in sharing the cost on 6 half days at HD each year? Say just 10-15 of us? :-)
I agree, however is this just natural competition? If RSG were offering something different then there is no issue, but if PCNZ see what RSG is doing is good and wants in, then RSG just needs to ensure ifs offering is strong.

Maybe RSG needs to do more events... The last one was 28 April and from what I can tell there isn't talk of another event until NITT... Is that too long between drinks.... And PCNZ is seemly taking up the slack? Maybe RSG should do a session on the same day as PCNZ to stamp there ground?

However all a bit political for me, I just want to be able to drive my car more often.

Chris. Have a look at the thread on RSG board by Richard Snow. He mentions the crowd in Newmarket that a lot of the RSG GT3 crowd use for tyres. They would be worth checking out. The guys swear by the key man there...
Old 06-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Macca, so these plates are NZ standard? Did you buy the plate holder? Great buy if so. S
Steve. They are let's say unlikely to ever be questioned. They are made to at least the same standard as the NZ ones and are DIN/TUV certified IIRC. The font is NZ correct. I changed over to this font 5 months ago on the GT3 with its blue investment plates just to be on the safe side although the 993 still wears the German style plates its had for a decade. Never had an issue with those either.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Ok, i'lł bring Herman. Road tyres, ok?

Meanwhile the R has new plates. I just couldn't live with the front plate mis-fit.
Much better John.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:46 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any further discussion in this should probably happen offline. As you were :-)
Thread started on RSG....
Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

so PCNZ are now RSG? or are RSG now PCNZ? I'm confused. i thought we set up RSG because PCNZ couldn't offer us what we wanted/needed?

Now we are being sold our own format and being asked to make it a success??

I'm feeling the need to create a non PCNZ RSG splinter group? Anyone interested in sharing the cost on 6 half days at HD each year? Say just 10-15 of us? :-)

Chris. Have a look at the thread on RSG board by Richard Snow. He mentions the crowd in Newmarket that a lot of the RSG GT3 crowd use for tyres. They would be worth checking out. The guys swear by the key man there...

Macca, at the risk of you unfriending me on Facebook, RSG does not own or did not create the 'Play Day format'.

The RSG was formed from Porsche owning people (most PCNZ members, and some not), who used to stare at each other at Play Days and decided it would be cool to all be in the same group at the next Play Day. We were spread across 3 different groups (Prestige, Fast and Slow) and figured between all of us, we could fill one 100% 'Porsche' group.

The idea for PCNZ to run a Play Day is mine. I am not doing this to copy RSG, as despite my position within PCNZ, I share your opinion that RSG has a different ethos, can afford to be less 'PC' and better cater to the needs of a group of good mates, and not to the 'masses'.

I am adopting the Play Day format as a trial for 1 event as PCNZ will not likely have enough entries to run a dual car sprint day this year as people cannot get track insurance for a timed event. People like you, Doug, JMc, Ron and Patsy, Nigel C (and me) will not put $100K+ cars at risk on the track, as several members have needed to call on track and Targa insurance for various events......(and a few have had significant repairs bills while not being covered and have no plans to do this again…..).

^^ The names mentioned above have all directly said this to me...............and I am probably guessing Chris T, Chris M, Pel, Warwick, Sam and Walt are in the same camp too (just off the top of my head).

So, given RSG members probably make up a third to half of the PCNZ grid every year and have told me they are not entering due to no insurance, I am left with 3 options:

1) Raise the fee to $600 - 800p/p and run a track day for about 10 - 12 people who will enter? Oh! - the only problem is the remaining people prepared to do sprints won't pay this as they are still complaining about the hike to a $250 entry fee from last year - so the dual car sprints day is a dead-duck......

2) No longer run sprint days as there is no demand. I don't think this is desirable, as the Club has been doing track days for 40 years and I wouldn't want to stop them on my 'watch' while there is a solution (Play Days) acceptable to members.

3) Change the days to a format where there is demand (............enter the Play Day............)

Macca - the PCNZ has to cut its cloth to meet demand. The market has spoken............and we have to 'copy' or 'follow' the RSG (and other clubs - we are NOT the only one, and almost the only exception) and do Play Day or Down Force run events.

I would consider running Down Force days, but not sure how much demand I will get when I need to charge you $400-500 each. You will quietly say “p*ss off – I can do a Play Day for half that"………..and we are back to square one…………

Macca, I think the RSG has moved on from sharing Play Days, the half day arrive and drive you started is where it's at now for the RSG. Also the NITT and SITT. I will NOT look to copy these events.

I am sorry if you see this as PCNZ (me) encroaching onto RSG turf, hopefully with the explanation above, you can grant this small over-lap (and not unfriend me )

Last edited by kiwi 911; 06-19-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I am happy to run an RSG group(s) within the Play Day if you see driving skill as a risk.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
I agree, however is this just natural competition? If RSG were offering something different then there is no issue, but if PCNZ see what RSG is doing is good and wants in, then RSG just needs to ensure ifs offering is strong.

Maybe RSG needs to do more events... The last one was 28 April and from what I can tell there isn't talk of another event until NITT... Is that too long between drinks.... And PCNZ is seemly taking up the slack? Maybe RSG should do a session on the same day as PCNZ to stamp there ground?

However all a bit political for me, I just want to be able to drive my car more often.
Edit - covered elsewhere............

Last edited by kiwi 911; 06-19-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Firstly. This is of insignificant magnitude to affect a friendship mate!

Thanks for taking the time to give some background and explain the situation leading up to this decision by yourself/PCNZ.

I understand the reasoning behind the decision, and believe you made the right decision regards format for PCNZ.

My single complaint here is that if I were you going through these machinations I think I would have been inclusive to RSG committee in order to see if RSG would get behind these dates to guarantee their success. Im sure they would have indeed complied. there are some very level headed committee members a few of who have been strongly linked with PCNZ for a number of decades and many who are PCNZ racers so I think the risk of backlash would have been zero. You are a committee member yourself so there is an onus to serve both masters. Not easy position I appreciate. As it stands it was a surprise to all to learn it first on here.

Anyway. Its all just small stuff really. Lets not flog a dead horse on this subject and just get on with having as much fun on track as we can...

P.S. I believe Peter has already started a thread over on the RSG board for a proposed RSG August 01 HD track date. Hopefully RSG members will participate/subscribe and make this a successful meet...
Old 06-19-2015, 11:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^ hugs and kisses - Bubba.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?