Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thats probably a more realistic goal John. Very keen to follow your progress on the dyno. What events are you attending at the Festival?
I'll probably limit myself to the dual sprints in Herman. While I know that MSNZ rules dictate the possibilities I'm disappointed that there aren't more track time intensive options for Road cars.

Having done the Ferrari Festival of Speed in the regularity trials I'm well aware how much time is invested for little actual track time. Playday and the Arrive and Drive are far better value per lap, if that's the measure you use. Of course the Festival has lots of other things to do. Maybe RSG racing need to buy a Porsche Race car and enter in the Endurance race?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree.

Shame RSG couldnt saddle up with Playdays and Prestigio to put on a "demonstration" (i.e. 15 laps of fun/freedom).
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
It needed to be Chris Harris.................

I really rate Chris's 'Drive' reports on you tube.
Also a fan of Chris's stuff but he's not enough of an idiot for TG and might ruin it by saying something factual. Like with 99% of car reviewers, if I have any criticism of Chris it is that he loves all the cars he drives. That said, the lucky (and hard-working) sod does get to drive just about all the hottest ones on the planet so it's hard to blame him. I've long since learned to adjust the dial on car reviews so that anything less than effusive praise gets read as utter condemnation.

From the Maserati review on Stuff for instance:

"As it's the heaviest of the bunch, its steel brakes have the most work to do, and some fade reminds that these are road cars, after all. But it's surprising just how well they perform on track, especially with their exquisite hydraulic steering."

gets interpreted - rightly or wrongly - as:

"Unfortunately this lardy behemoth has brakes not fit for a Mini and I was lucky not to come off track on a stretcher. It did have great steering though."

Just a random example mind. Lest I'm mugged in a dark alley by a band of Sicilians with tridents on their keyrings, I do confess to knowing of at least one owner who took their Quattroporte to track and survived to tell the tale.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Because things are slow around here I thought of a question Id like all your help on answering:

If you were going to the UK for a holiday this year and you had 30K GBP )approx 65K NZD) to spend on a used car which you could drive while holidaying there then export to New Zealand (assume VAT exempt) what vehicle would you choose? It can be sporty or otherwise but ideally something thats a bit different, a bit of fun, not common in NZ and which would be economically viable to buy, export and use in NZ without massive depreciation over a a few years useage as a fun daily driver?

Im curious to what people recommend. Pistonheads.co.uk classifieds provides a handy market resource tool.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Also a fan of Chris's stuff but he's not enough of an idiot for TG and might ruin it by saying something factual. Like with 99% of car reviewers, if I have any criticism of Chris it is that he loves all the cars he drives. That said, the lucky (and hard-working) sod does get to drive just about all the hottest ones on the planet so it's hard to blame him. I've long since learned to adjust the dial on car reviews so that anything less than effusive praise gets read as utter condemnation.

From the Maserati review on Stuff for instance:

"As it's the heaviest of the bunch, its steel brakes have the most work to do, and some fade reminds that these are road cars, after all. But it's surprising just how well they perform on track, especially with their exquisite hydraulic steering."

gets interpreted - rightly or wrongly - as:

"Unfortunately this lardy behemoth has brakes not fit for a Mini and I was lucky not to come off track on a stretcher. It did have great steering though."

Just a random example mind. Lest I'm mugged in a dark alley by a band of Sicilians with tridents on their keyrings, I do confess to knowing of at least one owner who took their Quattroporte to track and survived to tell the tale.
Walter. I love reading your posts. They have me in stitches. You are 100% correct IMO. I watch CH videos and have learnt to "interpret" them according to effervescence. I love him dont get me wrong. The same go's with another I rate Jethro B. I count the number of "Megas", "The pants" statements and use them as a score card LOL!

I just looked up Chris Evans. Not impressed. Is he a Queer?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because things are slow around here I thought of a question Id like all your help on answering:

If you were going to the UK for a holiday this year and you had 30K GBP )approx 65K NZD) to spend on a used car which you could drive while holidaying there then export to New Zealand (assume VAT exempt) what vehicle would you choose? It can be sporty or otherwise but ideally something thats a bit different, a bit of fun, not common in NZ and which would be economically viable to buy, export and use in NZ without massive depreciation over a a few years useage as a fun daily driver?

Im curious to what people recommend. Pistonheads.co.uk classifieds provides a handy market resource tool.

Any thoughts?
Ohhhh where to start. Being impetuous i'd grab myself an e30 m3. Probably not the most practical choice though
Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Any thoughts?
Are the entry level Ultima GTRs going for that? OK, you'd have to be a masochist to holiday in one but I'd like to see a few more of them make it here. More seriously, interesting four door sedans tend to depreciate too far, so I guess maybe a high end 2 door sports GT could be the go. If you don't mind the VW content, a Bentley GTC maybe? Great for those potholed British roads.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Any thoughts?
not sure how new you want to go or how much they go for but what about a B5 RS4 Estate? they have a cult following, have only seen 2 for sale in the past 12 months on TM.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Warwick, Walter, Pel.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - will need to look up prices on a few of those so will start listing them, do some research and append price data as I find it:

RS4 (B5)
Bentley GTC
e30 M3 (pretty sure prices well over 30K GBP for these now?)
C63 AMG

My own suggestions was very late model C63AMG - but again so many coming being imported and the depreciate so fast I think a 2 door coupe and something a bit different is the ticket (remember the Opel Roadster or VX220, or some of the French gear?
Old 06-17-2015, 12:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pel
not sure how new you want to go or how much they go for but what about a B5 RS4 Estate? they have a cult following, have only seen 2 for sale in the past 12 months on TM.

New Audi RS4, Old Audi RS4s, New RS4 v C63. Phew. - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube
Good suggestion - more fun to drive, still desirable, and old enough to take the edge off any depreciation. Just dodge the potholes Macca.

That C63, as the last of the naturally aspirated 6.2s should hold its value better than most Mercs but you'd probably still want to move it on smartly as it would be expensive to hold IMO. Fantastic sound though.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ C63.

RS4 will be too much I think.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

B5 RS4 seems to sit around 10-15K GBP and Ive been told have been selling on TM, 35K NZD NZ new?

Not much point bringing in something that old which is already available locally for similar money?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:34 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B5 RS4 seems to sit around 10-15K GBP and Ive been told have been selling on TM, 35K NZD NZ new? Not much point bringing in something that old which is already available locally for similar money?
Yeah after I wrote that I thought about it.......

Problem is with basically all AMG's is they look dated once the new shape rolls in, theres also a heap of them round and not really a staunch following.

You could do something vanilla like a BMW 3 series diesel wagon? Is there a margin in that?

What does 30k GBP get you in the Porsche range?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:38 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Panamera maybe?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel

What does 30k GBP get you in the Porsche range?
Gen 2 Cayman S

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?