Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
$12,000 on a gearbox!!!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You could buy a new factory replacement for that (core swap)....
Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I was following that one for a while with a view to purchase. Comes from Nelson? I love the spec. My plan was to turn it back to a roadie but got sidetracked by a 964. It's a great colour underneath for an 80's carrera.
Dave.
It did come from nelson, Gold underneath. As you say, a very cool 80's colour. It will over time, become tidier, and at the hotrod end of a roadie. I've got it registered and on the road already.
Originally Posted by John McM
What are you using to time yourself? Some of us use AIM Solos which help to isolate where the time is being lost. Btw. Many of us use Hankook 214 and 221 to achieve the lowest times.
For timing i'm using Harry's Laptimer with a 10hz GPS XGPS160 to get much higher accuracy out of it. i get some interesting data. interested in something like the Aim or Traqmate but have a mac, and the software is very windows centric.

Originally Posted by Macca
A full HD Playday is 6 sessions approx 10 laps a session = 60 laps correct?
Z221s will be a bit quicker than R888.
So another couple of 60 lap full day sessions, a few more sessions with an instructor, some Z221s and youll be falling below 1.20 before you know it. Id imagine the real challenge will be the 2s between 1.17s and 1.19s....
that was the format of the day, although at the end it got quiet so just had a free for all. The Z221s don't come in my diminutive size. the Z214s do, i might have to find out a bit more about them. I think that the next time out will be more about consistency than further time progression.

I had my Co-driver for Targa in the car for the first half of the day, and then had Jason Liefting, driving instructor for the second half. Main goal was to get some seat time, and make sure i wasn't doing anything odd. Still have very little idea about what to expect in the Targa. I suspect the support crew will just want to drink beer.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:10 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
$12,000 on a gearbox!!!!!
He may mean he spent $12,000 after going in to have the gearbox sorted, eg other "while you're in there" stuff. Steve will know the car.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 AM
shiraz
Racer

hi everyone, had 993 (95) since start of summer, drove last nite for first time in dark ( & raining). Headlites are truly crap - am sure dipped lites on 928gts (prev P.car - good for about 180 on autobahn on lo , yes eyes were mid 30s, now late 40s) were better than 993 hi-beam. Lo=woeful. Peripheral vision lousy. Spent some time searching R.L. & P.H. what do those of you with 993 recommend? Have looked at Carnewal & Tore B prods for Hid kits, still need answer for hi-beam. Paul, have you done anything/ interested in group purchase to cut freight?
cheers - david
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
hi everyone, had 993 (95) since start of summer, drove last nite for first time in dark ( & raining). Headlites are truly crap - am sure dipped lites on 928gts (prev P.car - good for about 180 on autobahn on lo , yes eyes were mid 30s, now late 40s) were better than 993 hi-beam. Lo=woeful. Peripheral vision lousy. Spent some time searching R.L. & P.H. what do those of you with 993 recommend? Have looked at Carnewal & Tore B prods for Hid kits, still need answer for hi-beam. Paul, have you done anything/ interested in group purchase to cut freight?
cheers - david
I have a Tore B kit here to install, but not done so yet. I actually didn't really have an issue with the 993 lights on SITT?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

cheers - david
Check the main RL993 board. I did the Tore kit, highly recommend, and upgraded the high beam to match.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 AM
shiraz
Racer

Check the main RL993 board. I did the Tore kit, highly recommend, and upgraded the high beam to match.
Hi Spokes, so you now have "bi zenon"?, lo & hi beam? 2 hid kits per light assembly? Been searching main 993 thread - seems to be an issue with dipping/flashing with regard to ignition delay or have I misunderstood.
Cheers
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

can confirm that 100kg extra weight for me makes a huge difference - even a 70kg passenger will be more than 1 second I reckon. On SITT I didn't use second gear on any track all week. Just tried to be smooth and drive out of the tight stuff in 3rd. There were a couple of corners where 2nd would have been quicker but given car was doing double duty we just kept it easy and reliable.

re tyre pressure/heat management I assume you boys using nitrogen? the reduced pressure range makes it a bit easier to optimize
Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. None that I know of using No2. Issue being that after a few track days of letting air out and pumping back up again at the gas station on way home the tyre consents are fairly contaminated and any advantage has been compromised...

Last edited by Macca; 04-08-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:14 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

Default 993 HID's

Hi Spokes, so you now have "bi zenon"?, lo & hi beam? 2 hid kits per light assembly? Been searching main 993 thread - seems to be an issue with dipping/flashing with regard to ignition delay or have I misunderstood.
Cheers
ToreB kit highly recommended (also check 911uk.com 993 forum) - excellent service & instructions - about an hour for DIY fit (need to slightly file out bulb housing and take care with clips) - its's just low beam but a huge improvement. The standard hi-beam is ok for my purposes.

cheers
Old 04-08-2014, 03:28 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

Default SI touring

Great to see you all had a great SI tour plus track action - very envious ! Have done 3,000 holiday km on those roads in the last couple of years and it brought back great memories ...
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JenSP
Great to see you all had a great SI tour plus track action - very envious ! Have done 3,000 holiday km on those roads in the last couple of years and it brought back great memories ...
Doug and I counted 16 driving days. Just finished editing video up to and including Day 7. Next up are the big days from Nelson to Teretonga. It will likely take two evenings for each day as there is so much great footage. We were truly blessed with the weather and the range of activities.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

re N02 need a small high pressure tank and an account at BOC. We borrow one for every targa - a permanent sponsor. Has enough in it to fill 3 tyres from completely flat so plenty for just a few llb's adjustment

I find that the pressure range cold to hot is reduced by about 3 psi so that the tyres are in the sweet spot for longer and you don't have to worry about reducing pressure on longer stages since stages can range from 12km to 52km
Old 04-08-2014, 05:43 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nitrogen fill almost identical to totally dry air

Originally Posted by gt38088
can confirm that 100kg extra weight for me makes a huge difference - even a 70kg passenger will be more than 1 second I reckon.
Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by gt38088
re tyre pressure/heat management I assume you boys using nitrogen? the reduced pressure range makes it a bit easier to optimize
Looked into this last year.

TLDR version: totally dry air and nitrogen will work the same for us.

Long version:

Have taken a (free with new tyres) nitrogen fill to the track, but as Macca says, you're letting out over a third of it during the day to equalize pressures, then typically replacing with air afterwards so any benefit reduces over time.

Pure nitrogen doesn't have the smaller molecules mixed in that air (about 70% nitrogen) does. For commuter vehicles, this means tyres lose a bit less pressure over the months between fills. There is also an argument that the lack of oxygen in N2 helps save the interior sidewalls from oxidation. Makes sense for a vintage garage queen but for tyres stuck under a working Porsche that is the least of their worries. We normally check and adjust our pressures fairly often anyway so the only real benefit is that pure nitrogen is dry, whereas air contains varying amounts of atmospheric humidity.

Nitrogen's dryness is good for track tyres as I understand that as the tyres heat up, the vapour pressure of any contained moisture goes up faster than the pure gas pressure would (basically an increasing percentage expands to steam).

A nitrogen fill and a >totally dry< air fill will have the same pressure progression as they heat up, with both just following Boyle's law. Thought about making an attachment with a drier canister for filling but have other things to do.

They do nitrogen fills at a place less than 50m from my work for something like $10 a pop but after researching the stuff last year, I just try to fill with air on drier days where possible. Cold dry days are best since warm air can carry much more water. I still grab a free N2 fill when its going since you get a track day with full N2, one with about 2/3 N2, then one with almost half N2 (still half the moisture) out of it.

Race teams, often with their own N2 tank, would normally use it of course. Somewhere I came across a comment too that in case of fire, you're better to have tyres burst inert nitrogen onto the fire than pressurized air (like blowing onto a fire) which makes sense, but what are odds of that making the critical difference?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?