Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:16 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Yeah I'd be very interested to see what current teenagers turn out like for car taste.
For Gen Z, if it ain't virtual it ain't real. Just look at how many concept cars are released directly to games, plus check out one of the most viral driving ads ever to see what I mean. John - you wanted a more realistic simulator, but all you really needed was an airport. At least the driver's petrol budget still seems to have eclipsed his electron budget:

Old 06-15-2015, 03:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
It's the driving gloves and loafers freaking them out!

But there will be enough interest from people in their late 20's now, with $$ to burn in the future, to stimulate the "classic" industry for a while yet I think.
On your first point I've offered to drive bare back (no gloves and bare feet like we do in the Islands) but there is still little interest. Maybe I need to word the offer different...

The number of folk in their late 20s is much lower % than late 60s hence the term "boomer". Also unless they inherit they wont beable to afford a $600,000 964 or 993C2 in 20 years time. Lets face it how many on here can justify their dream Porsche today? Lastly, I suspect if you look at the driving populace in 20 years time they will be driving step through electric torque miesters. Changing gears by hand is becoming a lost art. I jokingly asked the AA License test guy a few weeks ago when renewing mine how many automatic license as a proportion of licenses were issues these days. He was an older bloke, been at the AA for years and told me "the majority of them"! Not sure if thats new immigrants or otherwise but suffice to say the manual driver license in NZ must be becoming a rare duck.

Stuart. As a watch collector (former) I can give you one word of advice. Never promise to hand down a watch or keep it forever. Because like cars a nicer one or one you want more will come along (as John will tell you) and next thing you know youll be trading/selling/flipping. Just a heads up, Ive made that mistake (have a couple now cant be sold barring divorce). Your tastes and watch aspirations will change and there is a whole world of possibilities out there with many new ones to tempt on the way :-)
Old 06-15-2015, 03:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ cracked a hundie yet? No badge of honour until you are in the hole for a hundie.........
Nowhere near that milestone. I'll gladly take the bronze to your silver and Macca's gold on the air cooled 'investment'
Old 06-15-2015, 03:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Joh you may have missed abs & rear spoiler Rams from 996?
The spoiler was alerting but still working when I sold it. I disclosed it as such to the buyer. The ABS was the hydraulic pump mentioned.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bloody hell Walter you just blew my pea sized brain!

I had dinner with a visiting former client and Australian eye surgeon a few weeks ago when we returned to The Rock. He was doing some volunteer work here. He has/had a Maseratti Quattro and a Tesla roadster in Tasi. Still has the Tesla. Hes a bit of a car guy and reckons the kids only had eyes for the Tesla. He still reckons it rocks. Ive not tried it myself but cant see the appeal of loosing the exhaust note. The next generation obviously see the future clearer than me!
Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

On your first point I've offered to drive bare back (no gloves and bare feet like we do in the Islands) but there is still little interest. Maybe I need to word the offer different... The number of folk in their late 20s is much lower % than late 60s hence the term "boomer". Also unless they inherit they wont beable to afford a $600,000 964 or 993C2 in 20 years time. Lets face it how many on here can justify their dream Porsche today? Lastly, I suspect if you look at the driving populace in 20 years time they will be driving step through electric torque miesters. Changing gears by hand is becoming a lost art. I jokingly asked the AA License test guy a few weeks ago when renewing mine how many automatic license as a proportion of licenses were issues these days. He was an older bloke, been at the AA for years and told me "the majority of them"! Not sure if thats new immigrants or otherwise but suffice to say the manual driver license in NZ must be becoming a rare duck. Stuart. As a watch collector (former) I can give you one word of advice. Never promise to hand down a watch or keep it forever. Because like cars a nicer one or one you want more will come along (as John will tell you) and next thing you know youll be trading/selling/flipping. Just a heads up, Ive made that mistake (have a couple now cant be sold barring divorce). Your tastes and watch aspirations will change and there is a whole world of possibilities out there with many new ones to tempt on the way :-)
I can't think of many items that cross the generations with equal desire, which is why the Turbo 3.6 and even the Calatrava were ultimately easier to sell. We've been working through this subject with wills as well e.g. What do you do with jewellery given we have no daughters? In the end I suspect that fantastic trip you take them on will live in their memories far longer than the same money spent on a watch. I fully intend to sell as many items as I can when they are no longer used. They have no issue working out what they would do with the money.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Nowhere near that milestone. I'll gladly take the bronze to your silver and Macca's gold on the air cooled 'investment'
Looks like you are only a soon needed gear box rebuild and an overdue paint tart up away for cracking the tonne John :-).

I was alone cold in the wilderness for a while, but Paul is my Buba now, John is approaching the fire like a moth attracted to a 720 lumen light and Dave, well he's only a confirmed pick up date and a final progress payment cheque away from picking up a 6 figure hot rod (once he's bolted the interior together).

There's a few thousand pages here for anyone to read. The debate will continue...
Old 06-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I can't think of many items that cross the generations with equal desire, which is why the Turbo 3.6 and even the Calatrava were ultimately easier to sell. We've been working through this subject with wills as well e.g. What do you do with jewellery given we have no daughters? In the end I suspect that fantastic trip you take them on will live in their memories far longer than the same money spent on a watch. I fully intend to sell as many items as I can when they are no longer used. They have no issue working out what they would do with the money.
100% with you on your thinking here. Its one of the few great things about age. Wisdom & Perspective!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:11 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 16 year old nephew thinks the CSL is the business and would rather ride in that than many other more expensive options, not sure why! Achievable I guess. !
Funny you mention the CSL!! I have a CSL (that I never use) and was recently approached by someone to buy it. It looks like a deal is close and the sad thing for me is this is the first of my "collectables" to ever sell. The big question now is what to replace it with....... The mind boggles.

Re: watches - I too share that disease. I was told to always stick to sport watches in stainless, white gold or platinum. (Daytona, GMT Master, Sub or sea dweller)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt. As a past veteran of over 50 pieces (many vintage Rolex) I can help narrow that down for you. Stick to sport watches in stainless steel only...IMO
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 AM
shiraz
Racer

Mike Hosking (7-sharp comments) just went up a notch. Also one-sport effort to talk to C. Amon
Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ cracked a hundie yet? No badge of honour until you are in the hole for a hundie.........
Do you have that t-shirt Paul?

Originally Posted by shiraz
Mike Hosking (7-sharp comments) just went up a notch. Also one-sport effort to talk to C. Amon
+1

And they even put the whole motor racing news before the ODI cricket win from last night. Fair play to TVNZ.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree on the UK stuff, but does that mean we will get $150k GT3s? Maybe

Yeah I'd be very interested to see what current teenagers turn out like for car taste.
CCS just valued a 6.1 GT3 for someone at $150K for insurance purposes.

The challenge will be finding someone prepared to sell their car. Those who want one will need to pay the $$ for an existing owner to part with it. The older cars are now in enthusiasts hands. There will always be a supply of cars when new owners change up to the next shape (i.e. there have been about 4-5 7.2 RS's for sale recently) - I don't think that will ever happen again.........

As for teenage car taste now - I don't think it matters - people will change their taste as they get older. I have no desire to own a Ford Laser TX3 XRi or an E36 M3 now............
Old 06-15-2015, 05:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Matt. As a past veteran of over 50 pieces (many vintage Rolex) I can help narrow that down for you. Stick to sport watches in stainless steel only...IMO
Agree on metals. My Calatrava was White Gold, which I believe is actually Rhodium plated, a metal apparently more expensive than Gold. I much prefer the easy care of Stainless Steel, but I imagine my iPhone slavery will lead to an apple watch at some stage. I need to get Donna one before she spies the Duo Reverso in the group and blows the chances of Herman getting a respray.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It's a nice idea Buba but yet to be proven by a sale. The last 996 GT3 sale I know of was half of that.i have a 150k written val on my 993....mmmmm

It will be a sad day when GT3 stop turning up to RSG track days because people are too scared to use them aye

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?