Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris - MPSC2 are factory on the GT3. I use them for everything and they are brilliant. I have MPSS on the 993 which I use only for street and they are brilliant too. The MPSC2 are 97% of the Trofeo R on track and 90% of the MPSS on the road (all weather uses considered). The are the only tyre you will ever need on the Cayman R to do everything but as you have Trofeo are perhaps try MPSS? There is info on RSG board as Doug says under thread on MPSC1 at sale price...
Thanks guys, I'll have a read over on RSG too.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Video Link: https://youtu.be/NTv1iNB9gJA JMc - "Bring it" bi-arch............. Edit: JMc (AND Chris T) - "Bring it" bi-arch (s).............
I see they held back the GTS by choosing the slower gear box, so I'd call this a win to the Cayman In any case it's all academic for me. You may see Chris T out in the R on the track but not me any time soon. I'm going to concentrate on road runs and 2k cup. In fact the latter is causing a first world problem at my place in that I have no parking spaces left. That combined with even more travel in the next year has me thinking through the options.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:56 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I'm here to help John; there's a perfect spot for the R in my garage.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:35 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'm here to help John; there's a perfect spot for the R in my garage.
Get in line...
Old 06-11-2015, 06:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, sorry Jake, I've already been mulling this over behind the scenes with Pete. I drove Herman to work today, BB2 is in my garage while I work on her Brake Master Cylinder and the R is on the car pad with the Cayenne. Something's not right with this arrangement and my wife is not happy having no space for visitors' cars or a 2k cup car fronting the property. I'm not stupid enough to propose selling her GTI as a solution. Selling Herman would mean taking a monetary bath, which goes against the grain.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:13 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris - MPSC2 are factory on the GT3. I use them for everything and they are brilliant. I have MPSS on the 993 which I use only for street and they are brilliant too. The MPSC2 are 97% of the Trofeo R on track and 90% of the MPSS on the road (all weather uses considered). The are the only tyre you will ever need on the Cayman R to do everything but as you have Trofeo are perhaps try MPSS? There is info on RSG board as Doug says under thread on MPSC1 at sale price...
I'll believe Macca on the MPSC2's road performance and can vouch for them directly on track, as I've just seen a Lexus RC-F run a 1:18.2 on a coned off HD lap (from inside the car, but the passenger seat) on those tyres.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, sorry Jake, I've already been mulling this over behind the scenes with Pete. I drove Herman to work today, BB2 is in my garage while I work on her Brake Master Cylinder and the R is on the car pad with the Cayenne. Something's not right with this arrangement and my wife is not happy having no space for visitors' cars or a 2k cup car fronting the property. I'm not stupid enough to propose selling her GTI as a solution. Selling Herman would mean taking a monetary bath, which goes against the grain.
My wife's the same. Maybe we need to paint them hot pink with Prada or Manolo Blahnik graphics!

Prada have form:

Name:  Beth-Levine-Prada-The-Racing-Car-Shoes-2.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  26.6 KB

(http://strangeline.net/2013/07/beth-...ing-car-shoes/
Old 06-11-2015, 06:23 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

What makes you think you won't take a bath on the R? Niche product, limited market, probably now covered in stone chips from run up north, undesirable PDK... should I go on...?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
My wife's the same. Maybe we need to paint them hot pink with Prada or Manolo Blahnik graphics!

Prada have form:

Attachment 944408
Walter - seriously - where do you find this stuff!! (Paul will be glad you did though!)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I see they held back the GTS by choosing the slower gear box, so I'd call this a win to the Cayman In any case it's all academic for me. You may see Chris T out in the R on the track but not me any time soon. I'm going to concentrate on road runs and 2k cup. In fact the latter is causing a first world problem at my place in that I have no parking spaces left. That combined with even more travel in the next year has me thinking through the options.
The GT4 is also slightly compromised by the same gearbox & ratios as the GTS and the Cayman S.

John, its a real shame you wont get the R on the track. I think it could give you some nice lap times. Herman isnt going to the track so that means effectively you are withdrawing from RSG track work. We always knew wed loose a few along the way but I did not anticipate you would fail to be a regular but with no NITT, SITT you have me concerned now!

P.S. I cant blame Donna. Jo wouldnt let me get away with those Honda's. I think you have done really well...
Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nice find Walter!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The perfect garage buddies would be the R and Cayenne. Put a 2k cup car under cover by the side of the house and everyone's happy. However to get there Herman and the GTI would need new homes. Paul grasped the nettle with the C3, making Craig happy, however as far as I know that's it. I don't know what's worse, selling a sorted car for a material loss or selling a near new no stories car that fits all of my current needs? Macca, Paul and Doug are members of the same club so I have company for now. Pete is the voice of reason having actually moved on when the needs/changed. If I had been an hour earlier in 2012 I would have had the red C4 and this wouldnt be an issue.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The GT4 is also slightly compromised by the same gearbox & ratios as the GTS and the Cayman S.

John, its a real shame you wont get the R on the track. I think it could give you some nice lap times. Herman isnt going to the track so that means effectively you are withdrawing from RSG track work. We always knew wed loose a few along the way but I did not anticipate you would fail to be a regular but with no NITT, SITT you have me concerned now!

P.S. I cant blame Donna. Jo wouldnt let me get away with those Honda's. I think you have done really well...
Herman's still visiting the track. I have the Z221s on him right now. There's a glimmer of hope on the NITT as an Australian review might be pulled. I just don't know what they'd replace it with. I'd take Herman on that, as I am with the East Cape road run.

The SITT plan is more about simplicity. I have the leave booked. I'll just make life easier for myself by not rushing to meet scheduled days. Next year I'm slated to travel to Seoul, Vietnam, the Solomons, Kiribati, Guam etc. I'm putting myself under pressure to drive/support the seven races in the 2k cup season as well. Then there is ongoing house renos. Something has to give.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug is new to old skool so hes doing it backwards. Paul, & Myself are like you John and Pete, we started with long 10+ year relations with the older girls now we are dating younger girls as we get older. Its the way it should be LOL!

I think I was in denial too long. If I had have stayed in NZ the last decade Im sure the 993 would have been moved on at some stage (before the "big mod spend" maybe) and I would have circulated into a newer vehicle probably a 7 GT3.

IMO the answer is One Ride to rule them all One Ride to find them, One Ride to bring them all and in the darkness bind them....

Seriously, although I never understood it at the time I suspect Pete has the right approach. One car use it for everything everyday learn every folly and have it woven as fabric in your life. Want to take the kids to soccer use the 4x4. I dont need to deal with work traffic and I don't mind a slightly firmer sportier ride and folding bucket seats (at least while I can still get into and out of them) so a GT3/RS could fill that space (particularly the PDK equipped model).

John, the R will depreciate in NZ. The 964 will not recover you the investment that i can see (you are like me too far ahead of the market curve ball here and your car like mine is no longer pristine and needs cosmetic work to get it presentable again). The 3.6T was a stroke of luck.

Whatever you do it will be the right decision for you. Cant help but think how simple life would be with fewer cars that do more but there are always compromises.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
What makes you think you won't take a bath on the R? Niche product, limited market, probably now covered in stone chips from run up north, undesirable PDK... should I go on...?
I should try the Dave trick and lend it to you for a week when I'm in the Tron, then see how much of a straight face you can keep repeating that

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?