Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:05 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Given your fussiness - only Southbound in the UK. But be prepared for no change out of $10k from them plus allow install, but it will look factory. It's a gamble trying local and personally I wouldn't punt it. Better to just paint the brown unless you feel like dropping $15k to do properly.
Actually it will be more like $20k if you did the dash in leather as you would need to find a donor and ship out. Embrace the brown??

Plan C could have been to buy a black interior from a Carrera 3.2 from Steve Razzo (Dave is getting the running gear for orange) but I think he may have just sold to Dave Mac?? It still would have probably cost $10k.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
No offence to Paul regards the high heels comment was implied nor inferenced
Darling..........

You can shear my lippie anytime honey........
Old 11-21-2014, 04:21 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Embracing the brown is an option. The cars already modified so not an investment. What about upholsters for seats?

Last edited by Pel; 11-21-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:08 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a quote from Stu's Trim and Sound for my 64. They are quite well known in classic car circles and do great work. Full carpet and trim, not including dash for 20k. Would have been a great job but my car is not concours and a driver so couldn't justify that outlay. Shopped around and found others are cheaper, e.g 10k ish including full carpet and re-trim in leather, excluding dash. The car is a 100K mile driver and the goal a colour change, not a show car. I am thinking Recaro PP's. The trimmer i'm thinking of going with has done a few pcars, been doing it for a long time and comes with a good rep.

Its funny i've more head space into an interior than possibly any mechanical part of the car so far
Old 11-21-2014, 05:09 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm interested!

I guess if you wanted to go factory spec leathers and carpets with the change of colour it could add up like Paul says.
I've no idea what my refit is going to run to but aside from the labour to do it the leather is the major material cost. My 2 hides at 10m2 ran to 1.5k, I found modern automotive leathers with corrected grain to be a little less, but obviously there is a quality gradient and some could be a lot more. The 2 hides are more than enough to cover all surfaces but I'm going to leave the dash and door caps black. I thought about leathering them but worried about the longevity and finish that could be achieved locally. If it starts to lift or move in the future it would be a glass out job to fix it. I Wouldn't mind seeing an inside shot of your car. It could just be a case of re assigning either the leather or carpet colour to get it working better than it is (assuming you don't like it much hence the desire to change).
I've yet to crack the auto trim thing and find the right guys to do it.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Dave, I think the difference with your interior is that it's bespoke

If you are trying to replicate the factory finish, you need to use someone who can match the leather and stitching etc to maintain the cars value.

I have a similar problem with a 'sea of grey' in my car interior. It put me off the car the first time it was for sale. I'm looking to improve with painted hardbacks and inserting black 'highlights' including door panels and matts. This is factory detailing used on the C2S and I think a good solution for grey..........
Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I haven't had it done yet. I first engaged the trimmer a couple of months ago. He was unable to fit me in until the end of Feb which suited me as it gives some time to think a little more about exactly what I want to do. Like I said - headspace

Overall i'm looking at simple black strategically picked out with some red stitching

I've decided to go with a finer carpet than the Sliverknit. My trimmer has given me samples of an English carpet. The pile is shorter and denser. Frankly i've never really liked the Sliverknit. It runs at about $130 metre and is far better quality and ultimately the fitted cost come out about the same as the fitted price of a carpet set from Southbound and only slightly more than Appbiz. Dynamat for underlay. I've been told he doesn't markup materials and I think a fair labour charge. Of course I can do as much or as little as i want, e.g. remove the carpets, to make it cheaper.

I can't recall the cost of the leather i've been recommended. Dave, i'd be interested to know where you got your leather from as i'd like to compare to the hides that i've been shown. I'm still undecided about perforations.

The head lining in my car is still in very good condition, as is the dash. The door caps are already black and very tidy. The landed cost of the leather/suede Recaro (including brackets and rails) are somewhat more than having the front seats re-trimmed but arguably not more so that makes them unfeasible. I like the stock door cards and pockets and don't want to change out to RS look alikes

I be interested to here what folks think of my plan so far

All that said i've kinda grown fond of the linen but there is a lot of work to get it to standard and maintain it that way
Old 11-21-2014, 05:59 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer

All that said i've kinda grown fond of the linen but there is a lot of work to get it to standard and maintain it that way
Do a Singer inspiried interior

As long as the mods are only bolt on and the car can be returned to original - you can't get into too much trouble........
Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca has used carbon fibre to get the contrast.

I was just looking to do subtle changes like this:
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2014, 06:09 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Do a Singer inspiried interior

As long as the mods are only bolt on and the car can be returned to original - you can't get into too much trouble........
For sure, anything I take off i'll try to keep aside for the next custodian or should I ever choose to do a restoration
Old 11-21-2014, 06:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Being self-centered - I really like the idea of a houndstooth interior inserts?

What do you guys think?

This wouldn't be expensive to do?
Attached Images    
Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I haven't had it done yet. I first engaged the trimmer a couple of months ago. He was unable to fit me in until the end of Feb which suited me as it gives some time to think a little more about exactly what I want to do. Like I said - headspace

Overall i'm looking at simple black strategically picked out with some red stitching

I've decided to go with a finer carpet than the Sliverknit. My trimmer has given me samples of an English carpet. The pile is shorter and denser. Frankly i've never really liked the Sliverknit. It runs at about $130 metre and is far better quality and ultimately the fitted cost come out about the same as the fitted price of a carpet set from Southbound and only slightly more than Appbiz. Dynamat for underlay. I've been told he doesn't markup materials and I think a fair labour charge. Of course I can do as much or as little as i want, e.g. remove the carpets, to make it cheaper.

I can't recall the cost of the leather i've been recommended. Dave, i'd be interested to know where you got your leather from as i'd like to compare to the hides that i've been shown. I'm still undecided about perforations.

The head lining in my car is still in very good condition, as is the dash. The door caps are already black and very tidy. The landed cost of the leather/suede Recaro (including brackets and rails) are somewhat more than having the front seats re-trimmed but arguably not more so that makes them unfeasible. I like the stock door cards and pockets and don't want to change out to RS look alikes

I got the hides from Tasman Leather. A NZ company. I looked at leather from all sources and this came up tops for the look I wanted. It isn't really suitable for auto interiors but that bothers me not much because the car won't see a lot of baking sunshine. It may take some up keep and will show patina much quicker than automotive leathers.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Maxem
Drifting

I was sent along to Dansk Mobler to see the tasman range swatches. The Tasman guys let me buy direct off them rather than a Leather supplier.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

My last 993 interior photo...........

Luke - check this interior out mate - IMHO it absolutely rocks - you just need some black inserts........
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2014, 06:40 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxem
I got the hides from Tasman Leather. A NZ company. I looked at leather from all sources and this came up tops for the look I wanted. It isn't really suitable for auto interiors but that bothers me not much because the car won't see a lot of baking sunshine. It may take some up keep and will show patina much quicker than automotive leathers.
Originally Posted by Maxem
I was sent along to Dansk Mobler to see the tasman range swatches. The Tasman guys let me buy direct off them rather than a Leather supplier.

Thanks for that. You've inspired me to spend some more time investigating options

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?