Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I'm not sure about the Heigo cage, at this point I have to confess that I haven't actually seen the car yet!
jGood on ya Chris that's what I call a good keen lad - bought sight unseen.

I did some numbers on a gen 1 cayman a while back. 3.7, new adjustable suspension, lightened but not race, (no cage) new wheels and tyre package. figure it would be cayman R money o a bit more if repainted (not necessary bit nice in viper, mexico or similar)
Old 05-30-2015, 09:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
As for insurance. Easy. break your lifetime habit and get insured on the Cayman R with Prestigio for the track. Easy peasy and then no worries left. Not sure what's holding you back :-)
In a word, "training". I don't have the base requirement sorted. After this Perth assignment I think I only have two weeks away (in the Tron) then I'm clear until September, so I can plan and see what's available. Mike Eady is recommended. I need to be sorted for when Paul brings the GT3 out
Old 05-30-2015, 10:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Im starting to worry about the stability of those Caymans when driven fast aye.

On 28 April the Cayman S, 200m in front of me spun in the wet and did all four corners at HD (and will now become Chris B Targa car *****).
Then on 17 May the Cayman R behind me on the Targa Tour Bambino did some farming. Last year the CCS Cayman S in front of Chris B on the TT (it was the lead pace car) went off the road into a paddock!
Maybe Im attracting the bad cayman JuJU
Im a bit worried for when I get the GT4 guys. Seriously! :-)
The White Cayman driver was crazy to go out in that weather. As you know we warned him. The others I'm not sure of. The R and C4 are very different drives. The C4 is heavy on the controls and predictable. The R is alive at the front wheel, turn in in razor sharp and it wants to go around corners but I've yet to really see how it is at the limit. I sense it might be hard to catch when it goes.

Btw there's a bit of noise on the GT4 orders with respect to limited buckets available. There may be an in for bringing orders forward if you can accept sports seats. Of course that leaves you at the mercy of the after market to put buckets in later.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:10 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im starting to worry about the stability of those Caymans when driven fast aye.
The Cayman is one of the fastest stock slalom cars on the planet. A lot of that is because it has a high static stability factor (low centre of gravity and wide wheelbase), but another big contributor is its low polar moment of inertia - ie its mass is concentrated close to the middle of the car rather than further out towards the nose and tail (think front-mid engined transaxle cars like the 928, front-engined fezzas etc). This means it loves to pivot easily about its axis, a great thing for slaloming.

The flipside of that though is lower inherent straight line stability. Combine that with the R's harder more track orientated suspension that works great at Hampton Downs but won't soak up mid-corner bumps as competently as a softer setup and I suspect they could get quite exciting and twitchy when a rough surfaced corner suddenly takes them to the edge of their high traction limit.

None of the above is much different from a 911 of course, but then they're not exactly famously easy to drive at their limit either. Both probably need quick hands at times.

Maybe the Cayman just doesn't advertise its limitations as well to the driver? In the words of Clarkson, some cars are always saying "I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you" and keep you on your toes while others instead lull you with their incredible composure until they finally break away sharply.

Would be quite keen to autocross a Cayman someday to get a direct feel for how it compares when its being thrown around.

ChrisB, I think you'll have fantastic fun with yours and I look forward to following its adventures.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. Simon with the Cayman S wasn't listening hard enough that day. I held behind him first two sessions and I think he was under the impression I was a retard driver or something. We told him about the water there before the second session. On the third session I was ready to stretch the GT3 legs a bit more but he pushed in as lead with the young kind in the passenger seat. Next thing hes gone. He must have been going way to quick for the conditions as I did not catch him on that first lap until he had finished rounding out the corners of the Cayman on the inside and outside cement barriers on the front straight! I think he may have been showing off a little for his 10 year old passenger Damien Omen (not his real name but as he was later in the day pulled from the wreak of a second car we felt he may have been a curse!). Thats where experience comes in I guess. Actually I have little wet weather track experience. The only time I've spun either of my cars on the track is in the wet/damp. I think you have to know your car quite well before pushing on without incident in those conditions and also suitable rubber would help.

I think the limits of the Cayman/boxster chassis are higher but as you say when they go they are almost impossible to catch. What Walt says :-)

Yes, there are issues with the supply of LWB seats for the USA GT4s. I don't believe this will affect NZ orders. I not interested in a 2015 build car so hoping they have the LWB situation sorted by early 2016 for my order. Its going to be white with LWB and red belts. It will have the same options and colour combo as the GT3. Not very original I know...
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I have tried that option and Tony's not a seller. Feast or famine in this game. Still I would rather have a track set than run cups to the office for most of their life. Btw how about July for the East Cape run? The weeks up until the Dunlop 800 will be busy.
July sounds good to me. Hardest decision will be to go modern or old school. Having clocked huge modern k's up lately I'm thinking old school 964 for old times sake.

In a word, "training". I don't have the base requirement sorted. After this Perth assignment I think I only have two weeks away (in the Tron) then I'm clear until September, so I can plan and see what's available. Mike Eady is recommended. I need to be sorted for when Paul brings the GT3 out
If you wrote to Prestigio documenting your experience with a log of your track days I reckon you may be fine as is.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:20 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

I'm having a clean out of tyres and wheels. If anyone is interested in a new set of 235/40/18 and 295/30/18 Hankook V12 (K110) tyres, never been on wheels, private message me before I put them on TradeMe. These came in in from Tirerack in the rowing fundraiser container last year.

These are the tyres I have on my 996 Turbo on wet track days and normal road use. They are a well priced max performance tyre with a UTQG rating of 280. Going from 225 to 235 on the front helps with combatting under steer and hasn't caused me any problems with 4 wheel drive. Tyre options are fairly limited in 295/30/18 and these ones work at a very reasonable price. Not looking to make any money, selling at cost, maybe even a small loss to a Rennlister .

Also 2 sets of genuine 18 inch Audi wheels (almost brand new), one with a used Dunlop DZ03G's on them, although I suspect less interest in them on this forum!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:26 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
jGood on ya Chris that's what I call a good keen lad - bought sight unseen.

I did some numbers on a gen 1 cayman a while back. 3.7, new adjustable suspension, lightened but not race, (no cage) new wheels and tyre package. figure it would be cayman R money o a bit more if repainted (not necessary bit nice in viper, mexico or similar)
That's sort of what I'm thinking as well Graeme. I see a fairly standard mod overseas is to drop in a 3.8 which may be less stressed than a 3.7, not sure, lots of research to be done there. The downside as Pete noted is that over a 3.5 takes you to a different group in enduros.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great deals on wheels & tyres Chris!

Agree with Doug John. Im sure you can be given some dispensation with Prestigio as you have a huge amount of accident free track work under your belt these last two years! Also you can quote some of the tuition you have had lately.

Doug. I think it has to be the 964 for the trip. What are you taking to NITT? You have RS60 for SITT right?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug, we might as well write the 964 for sale ads if we don't take them to the East Coast. They've already done Cape Reinga to Bluff. Go cars not show cars.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I not interested in a 2015 build car so hoping they have the LWB situation sorted by early 2016 for my order. Its going to be white with LWB and red belts. It will have the same options and colour combo as the GT3. Not very original I know...
I volunteer to do the delivery miles if you on sell it and don't make it to Europe

Donna is fixated on going no matter how many turn up. Just letting you know that if the commitment waivers, as she's guaranteed to meet the WAGs at some stage afterwards. Just saying .....
Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks John Generous offer :-) Actually that indeed could work as a plan if we cant make it to drive it. But I'm hoping that wont be the case. Truth be told I have no idea what the future brings but I hope it includes France, Italy & Sicily! It would be a shame to own it only to speculate on it as it doesn't tie in with my ethos on car ownership. They are there to be driven and enjoyed. It doesn't make a lot of sense to export it to NZ however as the residuals in NZ thought stronger for GT cars only head in one direction. In a perfect world we would leave it in Europe for 12-18 months and enjoy two trips with it before selling it on to the UK. This means no tax to be paid (until sold) and no transport and insurance to NZ. Makes it quite compelling at the current overs being paid to secure new GT4s in the UK right now (15k+ GBP) - but of course that situation may not last for every either...
Old 05-30-2015, 11:39 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug. I think it has to be the 964 for the trip. What are you taking to NITT? You have RS60 for SITT right?
When I registered for NITT I absentmindedly put RS60 but the 964 makes sense. And RS60 for the SI running on MPSS at 7/10ths with lots of spirited touring in comfort.

Doug, we might as well write the 964 for sale ads if we don't take them to the East Coast. They've already done Cape Reinga to Bluff. Go cars not show cars.
Well said. That's decided then :-P
Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Well said. That's decided then :-P
Great, if your timetable suits we can wait for the first weekend with suitable weather after the Dunlop 800

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?