Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:01 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ agree. A Porshce (heh-social networkers will get that misspelling that's gone viral) driven on our back roads in anger also attracts cow **** and feathers.... Tarred and feathered :-)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO

Thanks for sharing Graeme. How many gears do you have? Looked like quite a few.
6 speed, might have to give up the gearbox cos Targa saying no sequentials in restrictor class. But the rules are now a complete mess. but that's another story.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:19 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Nice vid Graeme and some great twisties being attacked. Might've been one of our favourite stages too, if we hadn't been put behind the officials' mid-pack Subaru as an extra punishment on this stage and the next.

The video seems to be playing back too slowly though compared to your normal pace so I checked into it. You got a 6m06 official time on this stage but on the vid it takes 7 min (0:45-7:45) for you to hit the flying finish. Probably a framerate conversion issue - I'm picking 30p recorded vs 24p playback or 60p vs 48p?
hmm have to look into that - is that a setting on the cam? or computer?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
hmm have to look into that - is that a setting on the cam? or computer?
Some cams allow you to choose their rate (I run my front and rear at 60p to avoid the curvy window wiper rolling shutter effect) but it's probably the software's save settings in whatever you used to cut/edit that clip. And/or YouTube misidentified the original framerate. Maybe just try cutting and uploading it again? What model of camera was it?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:37 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
$390 + GST for their 8 hour Stage 3 valet. Stage four is $650 inc GST and three days. It appears good value indeed. However the rent is cheap where they are as its a 30 day lease with Demo clause and they are moving very soon so prices may rise accordingly...
Interesting what you say about the lease. You always have the skinny on these things Macca. I would think the "glamour" paint correction packages are really leaders to the maintenance washes. That work should be able to be knocked out in no time and the I would imagine they would get a goodly amount of regular clients here. Still the margins must be quite low.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

SS9 Pumpkin Hill – Day 2 – Targa Bambina May 2015:

It was definitely our least trafficked stage (end to end), and one of our better ones although there were a lot of damp/wet corners in the shade and the back got away a little a couple of times. The GTR in front was being driven by John Hawcridge with Patsy as navigator and we seemed to keep up ok in the end. Total time was approx. 20% slower than Graeme’s Targa car…

[

Last edited by Macca; 05-25-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

looks fast with my nose on the windscreen Macca
Old 05-25-2015, 09:30 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Some cams allow you to choose their rate (I run my front and rear at 60p to avoid the curvy window wiper rolling shutter effect) but it's probably the software's save settings in whatever you used to cut/edit that clip. And/or YouTube misidentified the original framerate. Maybe just try cutting and uploading it again? What model of camera was it?
Its a Radcam
https://racerecall.wordpress.com/201...best-in-class/
Old 05-25-2015, 06:02 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SS9 Pumpkin Hill – Day 2 – Targa Bambina May 2015
Good one Macca. That wagon at 3:35 just adds to the drama with a random 'is that a speed cam' double take.

Originally Posted by gt38088
So your cam is recording in 1920x1080, 30P - probably the most common format still. Very unlikely to be the camera's fault, but when you play your Pumpkin Hill run back directly from the video file on your computer, does it take 6m06 or 7m00 for you to complete the stage?

Did you use any conversion or video editing software on it before uploading?

If YouTube has stuffed it up at their end then someone else is probably better to advise, since I use DailyMotion (who are more than capable of their own stuff-ups).

Your earlier YouTube vids ran at full pace, so not sure what may have changed.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:54 PM
PHG
Racer

Doug
was thinking of you the other day, as did a run North to look at some property in Russell. Stayed O/N at Tutukaka, and did the Tut/Hikurangi road.. I had forgotten what a great bit of twisties that is..Had the handbrake on the whole time.. but she calmed down once we got to SH1.
I wasn't allowed past your place on the old road..!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:15 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

SS9 Pumpkin Hill – Day 2 – Targa Bambina May 2015:

It was definitely our least trafficked stage (end to end), and one of our better ones although there were a lot of damp/wet corners in the shade and the back got away a little a couple of times. The GTR in front was being driven by John Hawcridge with Patsy as navigator and we seemed to keep up ok in the end. Total time was approx. 20% slower than Graeme’s Targa car…

[SS9 Pumpkin Hill Targa Bambino day 2 May 2015 1994 Porsche 993 - YouTube
Great to watch. It almost looks as though the camera is being stabilised, or did that happen in post production?

Watching it makes me want to get out and drive. We need to organise another weekend run. The cold and wet have made the roads a little treacherous, but with a decent warm up run and a sunny day, along with some empty winter roads...
Old 05-26-2015, 03:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Great to watch. It almost looks as though the camera is being stabilised, or did that happen in post production?

Watching it makes me want to get out and drive. We need to organise another weekend run. The cold and wet have made the roads a little treacherous, but with a decent warm up run and a sunny day, along with some empty winter roads...
Jake. Good spotting. Some wonder why my GT3 videos look like the car is so smooth. Actually its the Sony HDR-AS100V camera I was using. I usually only use it in the GT3 for recording road trips these days. It has Image Stability option which I keep on. This brings the FOV from 170 degrees to 120 degrees and compensates for some vibration. I had planned to use hardwired GoPro Hero3 Black and had that set up on the cage but it failed last minute so I used my backup Sony. Unfortunately I had only a suction mount and a waterproof case so sound quality was muffled and mounting options limited. I usually run the Sony without the waterproof case in the GT3 and the sound is great (you can see this on my more recent Northland drives on youtube). On the track the stability is really useful as it allows replay viewer to read the instruments clear enough over the driver shoulder. Interestingly I tried mounting the Sony using the lovely KW engineering arm I have mounted to the cage on teh GT3 back in Jan but the mount was too firm and picked up "noise" from the cage and assembly. Interestingly this isnt the issue with the SmartyCam HD 2.0 I use on the track and for which the arm was purchased. That unit is a solid alloy body 250 gram camera and the arm actually soaks up and dampens as a mount for that weight but with the 80 gram Sony its too stiff and creates noise through the coupling...
Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 AM
O2GO
Drifting

SS9 Pumpkin Hill – Day 2 – Targa Bambina May 2015: It was definitely our least trafficked stage (end to end), and one of our better ones although there were a lot of damp/wet corners in the shade and the back got away a little a couple of times. The GTR in front was being driven by John Hawcridge with Patsy as navigator and we seemed to keep up ok in the end. Total time was approx. 20% slower than Graeme’s Targa car… [Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdOvJJZT0s
That brings back memories. We trailed the black merc with its amazing acoustic melody, similar to yours.

Originally Posted by PHG
Doug was thinking of you the other day, as did a run North to look at some property in Russell. Stayed O/N at Tutukaka, and did the Tut/Hikurangi road.. I had forgotten what a great bit of twisties that is..Had the handbrake on the whole time.. but she calmed down once we got to SH1. I wasn't allowed past your place on the old road..!
That's nice all right. Very scenic too as you go through sandy and wolleys bay (spelling?). I made a navigation mistake and took our intrepid gourd out to Wananaki North by mistake. That's another great road.

It's a bugger having the handbrake constantly pulled. The old Russell Road is brilliant on your own, especially either chasing Macca or having him or John M right up your **** :-P

Originally Posted by nzskater
Great to watch. It almost looks as though the camera is being stabilised, or did that happen in post production? Watching it makes me want to get out and drive. We need to organise another weekend run. The cold and wet have made the roads a little treacherous, but with a decent warm up run and a sunny day, along with some empty winter roads...
We a heading up to Oakura for the long weekend. If anyone is around up around there or would like to come visit, I'm up for it.... Unless we end up taking the cayenne. Depends who in the family comes with us. At the moment it's looking like the RS60.

Sold my 18" set of MPSS tyres today to a nice Cayman S owner. He's interested in doing some track days and I told him a little about what we do. Will see if he takes the bait.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
The old Russell Road is brilliant on your own, especially either chasing Macca or having him or John M right up your **** :-P
Douggie. I dream of that road after counting Pukeko's to get to sleep.....right now I seems a bit surreal when the drive home looks like this! (these are the good bits, the bad bits need low range transfer box after rain):

Welcome to the Jungle!
Attached Images    
Old 05-26-2015, 05:21 AM
O2GO
Drifting

That's pretty rough all right Macca. Counting Pukekos to get to sleep - Ha!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?