Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
You only win this for the BIGGEST spend, I know Macca is six figures, Sean must be circa $50-70K, I think I am level pegging with Sean. I stopped keeping invoices and running spreadsheets, so don't know.

Macca - you forgot consumables for John, pads, new disks and brake rebuild, which will be later this year once he puts a couple of hard track days on them.

John, while the engine is out replace the engine mounts and gear box mounts for RS spec - it makes a big difference.
Paul. You make a good point. If you include the donor vehicle at market value then I'm getting close to used 997.2 GT3 prices. My 100k "investment" is on top of the market value of a nice 75k km NZ new 6 speed 993 (Say 65k). It does include a full glass out respray with all body seals & gaskets done in 2005 (which is rapidly looking like it will need doing again in 2015 given the stone chips and gravel rash from track & targa!). I wont speak for Sean but I think you'll find hes already well above your estimate and should he need to rebuild the engine this season expect the total well above 6 figures.

I dont think you can buy a stock 964/993 and have a competitive reliable track/targa package for less than 100k including the donor car. Of course a donor manual 964 is 65% the cost of a similar manual 993 so this is a good place to start. One assumes at these age and mileage that any such car will need top end work done within 12-15 track days if it hasn't been attended to before...

As Ive said before it simply doesn't make any sense....but its alot of fun!

John, Paul is spot on regards the engine and tranny mounts,. Go for the 964RS versions and it will make a big improvement. You factory ones will definitely be long shot by now. Also consider an RS short shift kit of there is such thing for the 964 and I would seriously research and consider a reinforced engine carrier gusset from Rennline. Look this up on Rennlist but 993s with heavy track use can crack these and the factory made a stronger one for the 993 Cup cars. Especially important as you increases forces at the track or with HP upgrade. Doing it while the engine out is a cinch. Just unbolt, weld the gusset and paint. If you have to do it later is a big job. Not sure it inflicts the 964 but if this is going to be your track car for the next few years best spend a few hundred more and get it right....

See - well have you up to 100k in no time!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might have an engine block sitting around - could be quite nice as a glass coffee table.

You only win this for the BIGGEST spend, I know Macca is six figures, Sean must be circa $50-70K, I think I am level pegging with Sean. I stopped keeping invoices and running spreadsheets, so don't know.

Macca - you forgot consumables for John, pads, new disks and brake rebuild, which will be later this year once he puts a couple of hard track days on them.

John, while the engine is out replace the engine mounts and gear box mounts for RS spec - it makes a big difference.
Lol!

I might still be a contender for 2013 yet lads.

The motors getting dropped soon, should push me near Macca territory on the 964 all said and done and we're still searching for a donor car for project 2.

I'm not sure whether I'm excited or nervous but you only live once!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sean. We have a contender! Hot Rod days!

Think of the hp and especially the torque!

Its a few year away (I hope) before I get to indulge in some engine shenanigans. Im counting on you in the meantime. Unless it goes "bang" on the track tour. A real possibility it seems....

Dont worry, I have a T shirt ready for you buddy. Its a lonely club here. Its only money afterall! Seriously though - its alot of fun planning, doing and then testing and using these cars.

Looks like me might have a group buy on the OZ wheels....
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

So has anyone been working today??? It's not a Pacific island but its been too nice in Paihia today for any internet time.

Matt - tell us more (or did I miss a few pages back??) A gt3 would be a most welcome addition to the sept track tour.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Oh I've been going since 6am. In Shanghai at the moment. Needed some respite.

Steve just text me, looks like the Denny Hulme Festival for 2016 is going to be Porsche. At this rate everyone on this board will have a car with logbook by then. Should be good times.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
So has anyone been working today??? It's not a Pacific island but its been too nice in Paihia today for any internet time.

Matt - tell us more (or did I miss a few pages back??) A gt3 would be a most welcome addition to the sept track tour.
I'm in an industrial part of Melbourne for the week. Awake too early so post then. Also need regular reminders as to why I do this work so check the Board often
Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Oh I've been going since 6am. In Shanghai at the moment. Needed some respite.

Steve just text me, looks like the Denny Hulme Festival for 2016 is going to be Porsche. At this rate everyone on this board will have a car with logbook by then. Should be good times.
Great news aye. 2014 is Ferrari which will be worth attending for a look see. I may break my Festival Cherry in 2014 (finally).

New posts on Carrerasport re deposits for September Track Tour (two have already paid up) and also final round of Poll for Rennsport "Something" Group...

Good news too. South Island Playday Track Tour will be announced on Steve's board shortly. Wed like to have a small Porsche group. This is 4 famous tracks over 8 days 21-27th March. You heard it first here! This will be an absolute life time memorable event. Take the missus, add a few extra days in Queenstown and make a holiday of it! We already have three interested from RSC so put it in your calendar and start buttering up "the boss" now!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Yes, no holding out on us Matt, we demand pics and full details! (And congrats on the purchase)
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol!

The motors getting dropped soon, should push me near Macca territory on the 964 all said and done and we're still searching for a donor car for project 2.

I'm not sure whether I'm excited or nervous but you only live once!
Whats 'car 2' Sean? Are you looking to do RS replica or long hood "outlaw"
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Whats 'car 2' Sean? Are you looking to do RS replica or long hood "outlaw"
2 options, at the moment. Depending on what comes up in terms of donor.

If I can get a 930 that's already had some issues or is rough we'll build a 934 replica. This is proving tough, we've been looking for about a year now.

If I can get a decent donor car (3.2 or SC) we'll do a '73 RSR outlaw/ hot rod. Looked at a lot of cars but again the suitable donor at the right price is tough.

Patience is not one of my stronger points I should add! lol Will be worth the wait though. Either one will be a little bit different, like the 964 is.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

South Island Tour is a starter. This makes up for missing out on the Porsche Parade.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

If I can get a decent donor car (3.2 or SC) we'll do a '73 RSR outlaw/ hot rod. Looked at a lot of cars but again the suitable donor at the right price is tough..
Steve mentioned a long hood option to 'easily' backdate a 964. Rennspeed has a hood that does that. Were you exploring that with him? If so what was involved?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

2 options, at the moment. Depending on what comes up in terms of donor.

If I can get a 930 that's already had some issues or is rough we'll build a 934 replica. This is proving tough, we've been looking for about a year now.

If I can get a decent donor car (3.2 or SC) we'll do a '73 RSR outlaw/ hot rod. Looked at a lot of cars but again the suitable donor at the right price is tough.
That's my boy Sean! I think Ill just get a bulk order of those T-shirts. Johns going to need one soon too and I reckon Paul is only a stones throw (20k?) away from the 3.0C entering the hallowed ground so Im sure if we push him a little harder hell slp the rest of the way down the slope (ITBs on the new 3.2 along with some trick race seats and a half cage) LOL!

Yo. Matt. Whats up? Did you get the silver car?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matts signed up on CarreraSport for the September Track tour!!!!!

996.2 GT3

Congrats buddy. Finally we get a 6GT3 as part of the group. That's one very cool car. Jealous!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Steve mentioned a long hood option to 'easily' backdate a 964. Rennspeed has a hood that does that. Were you exploring that with him? If so what was involved?
My understanding is there is something with the front rake of a 964 that makes it harder to back date versus an SC or a 3.2. Steve is best positioned to respond to those little things though.

Basically you're looking at the below for a 73 RSR (wide body) conversion:

front and rear bumpers
front and rear guards
lights
sills
ducktail/ decklid
hood
mirrors
wheels

There was a white wide-body SC on Trademe but it sold before we got a look at it. That was as close as we'd come as a good donor as the rear guard work had been done!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?