Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hi,
I looked seriously at Andy's Carrera earlier this year. It has some top shelf kit and plenty of spares. Looks to be seriously fast. I was attracted to the fresh engine and sorted platform. I'd been watching it on the PCNZ site for a while and ignored it on the grounds that the asking was a bit steep. Andy was very helpful but we couldn't really get close enough. Looking at it on purely practical grounds (as I do) it was going to take a fair bit to get it back to road-ish trim and it was a gold Ex Uk 915 with brown interior......so I left it and that was about when I started to do a 180 on my long held opinions of 964's. I'd love to have that one as well though.
What sort of money is he wanting?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Simon told me $50k but that likely means $40k. It's got winning form but we're talking trailer and all of the other things that a race car needs. I can't see how even a worst case breakdown on your C4 could make this a sensible financial choice. I'd just enjoy what you have and recognize its not going to be as cheap as we all hoped to run our cars.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What sort of money is he wanting?
In the region of 40 to 45. I was off that pace.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Simon told me $50k but that likely means $40k. It's got winning form but we're talking trailer and all of the other things that a race car needs. I can't see how even a worst case breakdown on your C4 could make this a sensible financial choice. I'd just enjoy what you have and recognize its not going to be as cheap as we all hoped to run our cars.
That's alot of car for the money. But I agree with your summary 100%. The most appealing thing about this for me is how one car can do it all with relative reliability even if there are some expenses along the way.

Peter how are your discs now? If you were getting pad build up which was most likely then it may start scrubbing off in day to day driving. Assuming it was judder....
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
My 964 has its Cat and secondary muffler intact. It just has the primary muffler bypass. I think it's loud enough with that. In fact bordering on too loud if I was running around Kohi at high revs. If you look somewhere back in this thread I posted a short video of the noise level. Ignore the expensive knocking noise. That's just my cam lobes and rockers having some oil starved fun.
Thats it! I've decided on the primary bypass.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Peter how are your discs now? If you were getting pad build up which was most likely then it may start scrubbing off in day to day driving. Assuming it was judder....
No change - I haven't driven since the weekend as been mostly out of town. But have got some emery paper and will give the fronts a good scrub this weekend then a decent drive to see how they feel. Problem is that that's exactly the first thing PB did last time and it actually made them worse. Ultimately replacing the rotors and pads was the only thing that cured it so we know it was definitely a brake issue rather than suspension or anything else.

Your comments re the Turbo are right for that car as it is in great nick. More interested in whether a well sorted turbo would be a viable option vs an S2 for the track. I haven't driven one in years so unsure of the character on track. Not looking for a full on racecar but possibly a lightweight track car that doesn't need trailering. Something that can be made fit for purpose and isn't a constant compromise for daily driving. Just looking at options at the moment but want to stay in the family so only looking a Pcar options.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Thats it! I've decided on the primary bypass.
If you want to listen to or drive mine as a comparison anytime let me know (Since John's is currently in Flintstone mode )
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
If you want to listen to or drive mine as a comparison anytime let me know (Since John's is currently in Flintstone mode )
Thanks, that would be ideal. What part of town are you in?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Hmmm interesting combo.... for Ronald McDonald!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-591103651.htm
Does anyone know if this car is NZ new? Also has it been registered?
It looks very "Max Power" doesnt it?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
It looks very "Max Power" doesn't it?
Hi Nik. No idea. Its definitely not a NZ car IMHO. Unless it was ordered by a total rich eccentric. Mostly kiwis are far to sensible wit their money to have ordered a lemon meringue on lemon meringue 993 TT with every option available including wood (very asian) and not driven it in 18 years...

Nik when you going to stop being a voyeur and join us over here? There's been some good 911s come and go on the market recently for nix- I can see you in a 964 C2 joining us on track days at Taupo!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Peter. I had a white manual 968 for a couple of yrs as a DD and DE car. Balance and handling on the track was very good compared to the 911. Power was underwhelming (240 bhp). Over all the whole ownership experience was underwhelming for me having a 993 which I grew up on sitting just 4 feet away from the 968. Over the course of 2 years that 968 cost me more than any other Porsche to run. Just bad luck I think. I did all the timing belts and leads and seals, interior stuff when I got it so spent a good 5k getting everything on that car sorted including Cup1 17 inch alloys. Thing was it sounded bland unless being strangled, it didnt smell like a 911, it had a totally different seating position to the 911 (which I really like sitting high with excellent visibility) and it just didn't squat down and shoot out of corners like a 911.

Im with John here on an intervention and am going to save you a tonne of money which you will thank me for. Dont buy a 944 track day car. Keep what you have and spend a little on making it a better track car BUT (this is the hard bit as my spend has shown) without major compromise to its road manners. By this I mean stuff you can easily change before leaving the track such as adjustable dampers, RS adjustable sway bars, maybe a light weight carpet set and some light weight but comfortable seats. I would also look at slotted discs to see if this helps you - but if you instead decide to change the pads to race pads I see that as a compromise on the street s they will squeal regardless of who ways what. I think ventilation and drilled/slotted quality front rotors will eliminate the issue (checked my files from when I was at the Ring in 2007 and ALL track 964s including the RSs had "drilled" front rotors! There is easily 80 KG in your car you can save without loosing any functionality.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
It looks very "Max Power" doesnt it?
I saw it while perving at the sport classic and I enquired as to who has such fine taste. It's out of Brunei.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Makes sense. Brunei is Asia. Prince Jeffrey must have ordered it during a harem fueled acid trip back in the mid 90s before the walls came tumbling down on him....doubt he ever drove it...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Hi Nik. No idea. Its definitely not a NZ car IMHO. Unless it was ordered by a total rich eccentric. Mostly kiwis are far to sensible wit their money to have ordered a lemon meringue on lemon meringue 993 TT with every option available including wood (very asian) and not driven it in 18 years...

Nik when you going to stop being a voyeur and join us over here? There's been some good 911s come and go on the market recently for nix- I can see you in a 964 C2 joining us on track days at Taupo!
My second Porsche badged car will have the engine in the front and be in the form of a 968 CS.

The other thing is when you have a car ***** friend like mine who is very generous you ask yourself "Do I need to invest all this money in cars when they are readily available?"

That said, nothing like owning your own cars.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

+1. Got to love it when you get to re quote your own post LOL! Thank god for stereo types I say...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?