Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. The Techart one should fetch 1200 usd on Rennlist although shipping may have to be absorbed. I had a good look at the car with Dean when it was at CCS (with a "do not start" sticker on the window shield).

Steves idea about keeping all the stuff you take off is a fair one. Ive been doing this for 13 years. It sure starts taking up alot of room as evidenced by anyone here that's seen my storage unit! Id keep any OEM parts that you take off (unless worn out) but I wouldn't be so precious about the aftermarket stuff unless you really feel youll use it again some day.

You deserve to treat yourself John. It can all end tommorow morning as we know. Also its relatively in expensive when you consider what many people loose on depreciation when they drive a new 991S out of CCS front door. Infact in the first 24 months that would that would pay for your entire dream 964 project!

Phil. Its sure humming here today. John must be bored at work. Paul is unusually quiet so he must have started on one of his 60 hour working weeks. The Aussies say its hard going but they have better fundamentals than many other countries. The lucky land. Its windy today so I wont go snorkeling on my reef at lunch time!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca, Jason and Sean, I think we need to decide whether to include John in the "Porsche Mod's Addiction" club:

John, to initiate your consideration, you need to start by saying, My name is John, and I have a $5K a month Porsche habit. We can talk about how you hide this habit from spouse, stop running cost spreadsheets and don't keep invoices at a later date.

Peter - you could probably join too............
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Good to hear from you! Lets hope wifey never finds this site eh! "Just checking my emails" will no longer be a valid excuse for hours on Rennlist!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca, Jason and Sean, I think we need to decide whether to include John in the "Porsche Mod's Addiction" club:

John, to initiate your consideration, you need to start by saying, My name is John, and I have a $5K a month Porsche habit. We can talk about how you hide this habit from spouse, stop running cost spreadsheets and don't keep invoices at a later date.

Peter - you could probably join too............
Given the spousal unit accepts delivery of the items I'd have to be Houdini to hide them. However even then I'm not qualified to join...yet.

My name is John and I'm in denial...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hey John. Dont underrate yourself!

You bought a 964 only 3 months ago.

Since then I figure 15k on a engine rebuild, clutch and parts when all said and done, 5k on some wheels, by now at least 2-3k on "bits and pieces" including ducktail, you to go tyres for those wheels (1.5k), full Geo (1k), race seats (2k?), race suit (1k) and all those things you dont even know you "need" yet (5K) LOL! I reckon for most of 2013 Paul has you nailed - 5K a month habit. Track cocaine!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually John since Sean and I both got our cars finished in 2012 I believe you will become 2013 crowned and titled "Mod King"

PS. Make sure Donna never finds this thread open on your laptop!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Actually John since Sean and I both got our cars finished in 2012 I believe you will become 2013 crowned and titled "Mod King"

PS. Make sure Donna never finds this thread open on your laptop!
Donna took parts to Dean today. At least I know she was in the area as she apparently went to Country Road as well....

I'll happily take the 2013 title. Now all I need is the car back. Simon filled my head with racing tips and I'm itching to get back out there. Even practicing ankle rolls at work.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Maybe we can make a trophy out of broken Porsche bits? I have two camshafts, six rockers and an ABS pump to contribute. Paul, you have some bits as well no doubt.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I know the feeling. I recorded my laps on GoPro and have relived them with corrections a few times!

Unfortunately no practice for me until September track tour. I'm anticipating we may have wet tracks and it will be colder than March 29th so that will throw a whole different spin to the learning curve especially on R compound tyres. I envy you'll be getting some of that sphincter puckering experience out of the way over winter training. Try to keep it together tho as we need the numbers for Sept!

PS. Could never understand why PCNZ ran DE days each year in the middle of winter. Having done a few years ago was always of the mind afterwards that cold with wet/damp track wasn't the ideal first introduction for many 911 owners to track work (born out by at least one damaged car per time I attended!). I think the argument was in summer they were busy with Bridgestone....
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I caught up with my mate today for a coffee and discussed wheels etc. He's emailed OZ wheels and will have some pricing for me shortly. I am confident he will give me the best price he can but am not so confident that it will be less than the US etc although the shipping could change that.

Basically the importer (YHI) will take a cut so without going direct to OZ (which they won't do) you are always going to pay more in NZ. Anyway lets see how we go. As I said my tires were an awesome price.

He also said to check out the company below. Thought that while John is on a roll Macca you NEED some of these to catch up!

http://carbonrev.com/

https://www.facebook.com/CarbonRevolution
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jame. Great work. Still interested in the Oz wheels as Im sure David is even if they cam in same price as US plus freight. That.s two sets to help make it worth while and never know someone else on here may want to take those up. At around 2000-2300 nzd a set they would have to be the cheapest lightweight 18" wheel option with the correct offsets for both 993s & 964s.

Carbonrev wheels! Seen them before. Dreams are free mate and at 15,000 usd a set they are expensive dream to boot!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, you have some bits as well no doubt.
Might have an engine block sitting around - could be quite nice as a glass coffee table.

You only win this for the BIGGEST spend, I know Macca is six figures, Sean must be circa $50-70K, I think I am level pegging with Sean. I stopped keeping invoices and running spreadsheets, so don't know.

Macca - you forgot consumables for John, pads, new disks and brake rebuild, which will be later this year once he puts a couple of hard track days on them.

John, while the engine is out replace the engine mounts and gear box mounts for RS spec - it makes a big difference.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
PS. Could never understand why PCNZ ran DE days each year in the middle of winter. Having done a few years ago was always of the mind afterwards that cold with wet/damp track wasn't the ideal first introduction for many 911 owners to track work (born out by at least one damaged car per time I attended!). I think the argument was in summer they were busy with Bridgestone....
Winter is cheapest and only time to get the track over a weekend. Almost impossible to book track over summer, you have TACCOC every 3-4 weeks, the Porsche and other car series once a month, motor bikes once a month, there is basically nothing left.........
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca is about right for the expected spend. To put it in perspective housing costs for partial interior paint, solar tubes, partial double glazing, downlighting, retaining wall and walk in wardrobe dwarf the 964 costs. It's all relative.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be interested in a set of Oz wheels in 996.2 GT3 fitment, depending on price and timing.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?