Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015 | 06:11 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt38088
here is 430km/hr on the shanghai city to Pudong airport bullet train
Yes, the mighty MagLev - no wheels touching the ground, on a special 30km rail. Keen to do it sometime.
Old 03-02-2015 | 06:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yes, the mighty MagLev - no wheels touching the ground, on a special 30km rail. Keen to do it sometime.

A bit like aquaplaning down the length of the main straight at HD. I vote nobody does that again.
Old 03-02-2015 | 06:34 PM
racoguy
Racer

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Why would you put an inferior engine into your car?

Unless it was a Mazger??
Just the gearbox.........keeping current engine.
Looking at gearbox options to change to go 6 speed
Old 03-02-2015 | 06:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
IIRC the 996 stock 6 speed unit is not a Getrag but a Japanese box so may have fitment issues to a Mezger...
Old 03-02-2015 | 06:57 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by racoguy
Nobody I know of has put a 996 or later gearbox in a shorter wheel based aircooled car. Harris got Tuthills to try when he built the viper ST with 3.4 engine and they said wouldn't fit. But the lightspeed guy in Germany seems to be doing something different so you might check with him - has a web site and some road tests online
Old 03-02-2015 | 07:45 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cliffjumper
Cheers Mike, I'll take you up on that. The belts will need retensioning soon and I've read good things about the arnnworx tool. Those wheels in your avatar look good, reminds me how much I'd like some fikse fm10s.

Sorry to the rear engined and honda faithful, I'm sure normal service will resume shortly
Yep no worries. The wheels are great, but a %#$& to clean!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-02-2015 | 08:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

New 991 GT3RS breaks cover....looks great!
Attached Images    
Old 03-02-2015 | 08:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mmmm. Jo tells me its the same colour as the truck we bought just before Xmas and therefore that we don't need it! Gotta love women s logic. All based on colour...
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2015 | 08:20 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

looks good -is that lava orange?
Old 03-02-2015 | 09:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug, apart from the track Ive never exceeded that speed on the road in NZ in any of my cars. !
WTF?? -

Mate - I was following you during that dawn run to Teretonga race track. You were going so fast (104 kph) that I backed out for fear of instant loss of licence if caught. You had to pull over and have a snooze to wait for me to catch up (and I wasn't going that slow).

That was a fantastic run that morning - won't forget that drive in any hurry........

Roll on 2016 SITT........
Old 03-02-2015 | 10:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

WTF?? -

Mate - I was following you during that dawn run to Teretonga race track. You were going so fast (104 kph) that I backed out for fear of instant loss of licence if caught. You had to pull over and have a snooze to wait for me to catch up (and I wasn't going that slow).

That was a fantastic run that morning - won't forget that drive in any hurry........

Roll on 2016 SITT........
Bring on SITT for sure mate, Im really looking forward to that.

That drive was one of the scariest in my short life. Ill be taking it to the grave! It felt like fear & loathing in Las Vegas to me minus the peyote. What do you mean you were in fear of loosing your license? I don't reckon you even had one LOL!

Those 2 x Waipu runs we did early morning were alot of fun too. We must do those again soon.

Fun times in 993's. Can wait for more. These cars are for driving not polishing mate. Well see how long you last as a bonnet polisher :-)
Old 03-02-2015 | 10:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

WTF?? - Mate - I was following you during that dawn run to Teretonga race track. You were going so fast (104 kph) that I backed out for fear of instant loss of licence if caught. You had to pull over and have a snooze to wait for me to catch up (and I wasn't going that slow). That was a fantastic run that morning - won't forget that drive in any hurry........ Roll on 2016 SITT........
That morning was scary. I had to use the Tom Tom to work out where the road went at warp speed. Weren't you guys trying to catch up with us but had it wrong? I think I thought you were in the background but it turned out to be Matt G. All I wanted was someone to light the way, which is what I think Matt was using me for. Not keen to repeat that.
Attached Images     
Old 03-02-2015 | 10:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
looks good -is that lava orange?
The Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrack = Chilli Orange (metallic) :-)

The 991 GT3RS = Lava Organge /Bluto orange (we are not entirely sure yet).
Old 03-02-2015 | 10:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
That morning was scary. I had to use the Tom Tom to work out where the road went at warp speed. Weren't you guys trying to catch up with us but had it wrong? I think I thought you were in the background but it turned out to be Matt G. All I wanted was someone to light the way, which is what I think Matt was using me for. Not keen to repeat that.

Yeah. Paul and I are peas from a pod as youve probably figured by now. Its why Im the only one who gets to call him Buba. We screwed up in Royal fashion taking the wrong route out of Queenstown - had to double back after a few KM and by then you guys were 15 minutes down the road and frankly in thar darkness there was no way were catching you. I think we were competing for theMacca cup that trip!
That being said we converged on the motorsport park within a few minutes of the main group so Im guessing we must have made some decent ground considering I stopped for 4-5 mins to wait for Buba to catch up. One of the best upgrades I made to the 993 early on was HID headlights. In my dotage they have paid of a number of times on these Mad Hatter drives!

Epic drives tho. Like the Taupo to Manfield one in the dark in the monsoon last NITT!
Old 03-02-2015 | 10:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah. Paul and I are peas from a pod as youve probably figured by now. Its why Im the only one who gets to call him Buba. We screwed up in Royal fashion taking the wrong route out of Queenstown - had to double back after a few KM and by then you guys were 15 minutes down the road and frankly in thar darkness there was no way were catching you. I think we were competing for theMacca cup that trip!
That being said we converged on the motorsport park within a few minutes of the main group so Im guessing we must have made some decent ground considering I stopped for 4-5 mins to wait for Buba to catch up. One of the best upgrades I made to the 993 early on was HID headlights. In my dotage they have paid of a number of times on these Mad Hatter drives!

Epic drives tho. Like the Taupo to Manfield one in the dark in the monsoon last NITT!
I recall a short stop on the way down, then we got lost in Invercargill. Took a while to find the track. Part of that road from Queenstown to Invercargill has some serious dips. Like a rollercoaster. Without the Tom Tom you wouldnt know if the brow of the hill brought another dip or a turn.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?