Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:55 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Dry, warm and fast. They said the track was running a second or so faster than average. A reasonable turnout. 11 cars in total although we slipped BB and Chris' 944 in later. Carnage was relatively light. Neil blew the rear window out of his 944 and Tony had an intake Plenum issue with his Cayman. No accidents as such. BB ran 1.26.22 under Chris M's driving. The other Integras were in the 1.25.xx range. You will need to watch your mirrors!!!
Well done guys. Good timing with perfect wetter. Not the same today. If at the track today take it easy in the wet and wild!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Well done guys. Good timing with perfect weather. Not the same today. If at the track today take it easy in the wet and wild!
Take it easy driving anywhere. I've never felt the car move so much in the wind before. Heading up the Northern was a tentative experience. No problems with people sticking to well under the speed limit!

Had breakfast with the early 911 group. Don't think it's helping with my want for an air cooled car...
Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Thanks Michael. Normally I'd be able to shrug it off and say "ah well I'll take the 964 north for my summer runs". That's what I'm mostly pissed about. 4 weeks in the middle of northland and no fast runs, getting my thrills watching videos on my ipad.

First world problems aye. Ha ha.

Hope that family is well mate and you get out in that sweet 944 occasionally.
Yeah I know, you're the road warrior so it's going to be a tough time. I have the opposite problem -- I have a car to use and no time to use it! If you wanted something to fill your time, how about you babysit and I'll go for a nice long drive?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awww, bugger. I used to throw an overtired child in the car seat and go for a drive. 5 minutes snd they're asleep. Win-win I reckon Mike
Old 12-14-2014, 04:28 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, unfortunately the 944 isn't set up for a baby seat. Mum would not be impressed either.

Anyone heard how the 2k-cuppers got on today?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:19 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RSG 2Kcup 14Dec2014

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Yeah, unfortunately the 944 isn't set up for a baby seat. Mum would not be impressed either.

Anyone heard how the 2k-cuppers got on today?
Interesting day. The most important things went well but all but the two named drivers (ChrisB and JohnM) found themselves snookered by the regulations of the day. First some pics:

Both cars passed both race day and 2Kcup scrutineering - yay!!

Name:  1GrinchscruteC.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  141.8 KB
Name:  2BB2scruteC.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  200.8 KB
Name:  3JamesW scrutes BB2C.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  982.7 KB

That's James Watson, the man behind 2Kcup in the red - great guy but obviously an alien species running pure antifreeze for blood. Brilliant field but wet, with racing being halted at times for incidents or weather:

Name:  6BB2 and 2Kcup gp2 qual restartC.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  124.1 KB
Name:  7grinchonrunC.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  384.9 KB
Our cars stayed tidy but turn 1 made for interesting viewing. Mark Mallard's car took possibly the widest ever line out over the kitty litter and quite a few other cars got loose, including one that spun to park in mid-track and some red 2 door that fishtailed left right left spectacularly at entry and pulled off the world's ugliest drift to make it around. Won't name names but there were collective sighs of disappointment from watchers who'd thought an epic shunt was a cert:
Name:  8turn1 was hungryC.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  176.6 KB

The natural order of things was maintained, with Herman pushed out into the rain to keep the H cars dry:

Name:  10Natural orderC.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  125.0 KB

John came back in from his first Herman session buzzing as he'd put all to the sword before Herman's invincible AWD - passing around the outside of the sweeper etc.

BB got a look over again as well from the 2K cup scrutineers as a potential back up car. They made encouraging noises about her fitness but some fiddling may be called for:
Name:  11BB ScruteC.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  653.5 KB

I was one of the majority who were ineligible to race on the day, but everyone took it on the chin as a learning experience. Thrashed the bucket racer on Saturday so still got some track time in this weekend...
Attached Images  

Last edited by 996tnz; 12-14-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I can go on record as being absolutely over wet track days.

The difference between Saturday and Sunday was like night and day. In hindsight it would be even worse if it was dry on Sunday given the muck up over the driver registration.

So much work to get licenses etc and then be denied on the day. There is a considerable cost as well with garaging etc. Lesson learned. Chris saw it through to the end. A trooper and drive the last race in atrocious conditions with a steamed up windscreen.

Anyway, the cars are back in their garages, fuel tanks full and ready to drive, with a few tweaks I will do soon when I feel like a drive to HD.

There are plenty of opportunities ahead to enjoy the cars. I'll just put this in the past and move on. Saturday gave a glimpse of the fun to come, especially if BB joins in.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

I can go on record as being absolutely over wet track days...Chris saw it through to the end. A trooper and drive the last race in atrocious conditions with a steamed up windscreen. Anyway, the cars are back in their garages, fuel tanks full and ready to drive, with a few tweaks I will do soon when I feel like a drive to HD.
I love the rain (on 4 wheels anyway), but if one of those tweaks involves getting hot air away from the engine and onto the inside of the windscreen I'm all for it. Someone (Johno?) mentioned that Hondas don't take well to running hot, so windscreen heating could maybe provide some extra cooling in an emergency too?

There are plenty of opportunities ahead to enjoy the cars. I'll just put this in the past and move on. Saturday gave a glimpse of the fun to come, especially if BB joins in.
Yep, we're learning the ropes and they won't catch us like that again. Can't wait for a second dry day in BB sometime too - nothing like ChrisMs time in the window to motivate.

ChrisB must almost be feeling tracked out after his various recent events?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The Dunlops have transformed BB. As much fun as she was squealing, she can now run with the vtecs on Playdays. 1.26.22 is fast enough to run high up in the slow group at 2k cup.

The misting is a result of no air flow. We lost the fans with the cage installation. As we can count on speed, we should be able to duct in some dry air and importantly expel the moist air. Opening windows doesn't work in the rain! There is a fan on trademe designed for this, but we have run out of money. Perversely that is good as we have to be inventive.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Caption time
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Caption time
Name:  Grinch 3s.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  202.5 KB

"RSG dominated the new 2Kcross"

"Dastardly Dirk's dodgy curry cut in calamitously"

"Damn, I forgot my plate"

"Slipping the 4 wheel steering past scrutineering didn't pay off"

"RSG: defining the track since 2013"

"3 laps up, he stopped to build a sand castle"

"John, that dishwashing liquid was for the windscreen!"

"Lining up the late apex"

"Scandie flick - what was step two again?"

"7 Tenths - yeah right."

"Go hard, go WIDE!!"

"RSG: Taking racing room to a whole new level"

"Get this video now for just $4.99"

"Who's that chick in the miniskirt with the camer......aaagh..."

This is one of those times you're grateful for a real handbrake to help turn in. The action looks to be happening at the right end of the field!

Last edited by 996tnz; 12-14-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good brainstorming session there Walter
Old 12-15-2014, 03:58 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Porsche Dealership named after me ??

http://www.paulmillerporsche.com/
Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I have a Porsche Dealership named after me ??

http://www.paulmillerporsche.com/
Buba that's Soprano country. Im not gonna mess with you no more!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Buba that's Soprano country. Im not gonna mess with you no more!
I'm gonna make you an offer you cannot refuse.........

FYI - for the road warriors keen for another SI trip, the SI club members are having a weekend in and around Tekapo on 28 May 2015. Sounds like well sorted social event. If anyone is keen for another SI trip next year, it would be a good idea to tie in around this??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?